RHP Spirituality Forum Gym

RHP Spirituality Forum Gym

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
13 Oct 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
We all know that life is short and that death will occur, yet we're surprised when it happens to someone we know. Why?
For religious people it may be because they spend their lives living in denial about death ~ telling themselves they will live forever, because they have simply imagined it to be so ~ and this may have given them some solidarity with other like-minded religionists during their lives, and even a way of patting themselves on the back in the face of unbelievers who cope with the facts of life without the aid of superstition.

And perhaps as the self-declared immortal people get into closer proximity to death, the relevance of what they'd spent imagining may start to wane. What they had been insulating themselves with, after all, had been the superstitions about an "afterlife" that others had not needed in order to navigate "real life".

I have anecdotal evidence from my life that shows that, when push comes to shove, people who claim to be immortal are no more or less at peace with dying than are people who accept their mortality.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
13 Oct 14
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
For religious people it may be because they spend their lives living in denial about death ~ telling themselves they will live forever, because they have simply imagined it to be so ~ and this may have given them some solidarity with other like-minded religionists during their lives, and even a way of patting themselves on the back in the face of unbelievers who ...[text shortened]... be immortal are no more or less at peace with dying than are people who accept their mortality.
And who are these people exactly, who claim to be "immortal"?

You must move in some pretty rarified circles.

I don't know anybody who claims to be immortal.

F

Moves
13 Oct 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Suzianne
And who are these people exactly, who claim to be "immortal"?

You must move in some pretty rarified circles.

Have you not heard religionists talking about their "afterlife", about "going to heaven", about "life after death", about the "indestructible soul", about "life in the hereafter", about "a personal relationship with God and eternal life with Him for eternity", about having an "immortal immaterial soul", and about "the immaterial, immortal essence of man"? I think you have.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
13 Oct 14

Gramps does ... ask him.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
13 Oct 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
We all know that life is short and that death will occur, yet we're surprised when it happens to someone we know. Why?
What are you on about?
My mother died recently.
I wasn't surprised.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
13 Oct 14
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Have you not heard religionists talking about their "afterlife", about "going to heaven", about "life after death", about the "indestructible soul", about "life in the hereafter", about "a personal relationship with God and eternal life with Him for eternity", about having an "immortal immaterial soul", and about "the immaterial, immortal essence of man"? I think you have.
Yes, of course I have heard of this.

I still don't know of anyone claiming to be "immortal".

If you do, then I guess you have misunderstood them.

(Also, "religionists" is a pretty vague term. Would it be too much to ask for you to speak clearly?)

F

Moves
13 Oct 14
1 edit

Yes, of course I have heard of this.

I still don't know of anyone claiming to be "immortal".

If you do, then I guess you have misunderstood them.
It's clearly an ideology of personal immortality.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
13 Oct 14
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
It's clearly an ideology of personal immortality.
Sorry, I can differentiate between someone saying "the soul is immortal" and someone saying "I am immortal".

I'm asking you exactly who has said the second? Who are these "self-declared immortal people"?

F

Moves
13 Oct 14

Also, "religionists" is a pretty vague term. Would it be too much to ask for you to speak clearly?
Religionists are people who subscribe to or adhere to religions.

F

Moves
13 Oct 14

Sorry, I can differentiate between someone saying "the soul is immortal" and someone saying "I am immortal".

I'm asking you exactly who has said the second? Who are these "self-declared immortal people"?
Religionists here are talking about their supposed unending existence all the time.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
13 Oct 14
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Religionists are people who subscribe to or adhere to religions.
So are you actually saying that everyone with "a religion" says they are immortal? Really?

Do you adhere to "a religion"? (I guess you must, since you vehemently deny being an atheist.) Do you say you are immortal?

F

Moves
13 Oct 14

Who are these "self-declared immortal people"?
sonship, Grampy Bobby, Pudgenik, checkbaiter, KingOnPoint and josephw are all prominent religionist posters who see themselves as immortal because they "believe in Christ". I am sure there are many others too.

F

Moves
13 Oct 14

So are you actually saying that everyone with "a religion" says they are immortal? Really?
No I said religious people ~ at least those who believe in the "afterlife" ~ spend their lives living in denial about death by telling themselves they will live forever on account of the fact that they have imagined it to be so by way of their religious beliefs.

F

Moves
13 Oct 14

Do you adhere to "a religion"? (I guess you must, since you vehemently deny being an atheist.) Do you say you are immortal?
No I am not a religionist. And no, I have no reason whatsoever to think I am immortal.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
13 Oct 14

Originally posted by FMF
sonship, Grampy Bobby, Pudgenik, checkbaiter, KingOnPoint and josephw are all prominent religionist posters who see themselves as immortal because they "believe in Christ". I am sure there are many others too.
Oh, they "see themselves" as immortal. Is this the same thing as them "saying" they are immortal? Or are you now "psychic"?

I just want to be clear about what you are saying since you seem unwilling to actually BE clear.

Are you a "religionist"? Do you have "a religion"? Or are you an atheist? Do you "say" you are immortal? Or do you "see yourself" as immortal?