Society

Society

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
21 Jun 12

Originally posted by galveston75
For you who think this is "no big deal" I'd like to see your reaction if this was your Mother or Grandmother.
Who on this thread has suggested that they do not care about how their mother or grandmother is treated on a bus? Who has said they think this kind of thing is "no big deal". Can you point out the poster or posts in question?

Moves
21 Jun 12

Really? Is that a serious answer?
Um, no it was a question not an answer.

I want to be clear on what you think I am saying that is selfish.

Moves
21 Jun 12

Originally posted by googlefudge
Um, no it was a question not an answer.

I want to be clear on what you think I am saying that is selfish.
Ok, I can probably guess where your going with this so let me put it like this...

You (your religion) are basically saying that at some point (you think soon) god/JC is going to show up and
create heaven on earth (or some such) which will be (in your view) a really great thing and you want it it happen
and want to live in this heaven on earth.

And you think that I am being selfish for not wanting and indeed opposing this as I am (in your view) trying to
deny you and everyone else this wonderful thing.

However let me point out to you what happens to me in this fictional scenario...

I get thrown in a lake of fire and either killed outright or get tortured for all eternity.

Or I suck up to your stupid god and have to spend all eternity sucking up to your stupid god while living in a society
where I have no free will (or believe me at some point I will start committing crimes which you said is impossible in this society)
And as far as I am concerned that's even worse.

And there are a whole lot more people like me.

So if you want to live in this heaven on earth and think its really great...

Fine, go live in it, it's ok with me...

But give me an out.

Tell god to make another planet (or two) somewhere in this epicly unimaginably vast universe he apparently created just for us
around a nice stable G2 star and either make it an exact carbon copy of the present earth (minus the pollution and rubbish would
be nice) or make it completely new and let everyone who doesn't want to live in your supposedly wonderful heaven on earth
go to this new world where we can happily get on with living how we want.

I mean seriously you think I am selfish for not wanting the entirety of humanity to be forced to live in your dream-world which
sounds to me like a nightmare with the only other choice being death or eternal torture??

SERIOUSLY you think I am selfish???

Your religion has nothing for me because it is not only not true, but even if it was the supposed reward for believing it sounds worse to
me than the punishment for not believing it And those are my only choices???

The universe is frickin vast.

If god wants all his followers in one place so they can adore him for all eternity he can sodding well terraform a few more planets and
let everyone else live there.

So no. Nothing I said was selfish.

I am not the one trying to impose hell on the entire rest of humanity.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
21 Jun 12

Law and order guaranteed, but at what cost?

This exchange with Galveston is typical of the JW/cult mind-set i.e. be prepared to give up everything including freedom to think for yourself, do what you want, speak to who you want, live how you want.

It's amusing to see Galveston as usual wrapping up his preconceived beliefs into what he thinks will be interpreted as an 'open question' to the forum.

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
21 Jun 12
2 edits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=l93wAqnPQwk#!

So society is doing ok as some here suggest or even getting better? I'm sorry but as a kid and riding busses I've never seen or heard of anything like this.
For you who think this is "no big deal" I'd like to see your reaction if this was your Mother or Grandmother.
Sure there h ...[text shortened]... ? What kind of respect are they being taught not only towards other humans but towards God?
Yes this is disgusting behaviour on the bus and in reality typical of the attitudes people hold towards fat people. The sad truth for these kids is that in fact they themselves are (statistically) doomed by the food industry and especially the sugar industry to be at least as over-weight in time. If losing weight was easy in our culture then the slimming business would not be so profitable. It makes so much profit because it is not working in the face of the insidious posioning of food with sugar.

However, using this as evidence of declining moral standards provokes a comparison with the bus ride taken by Rosie Parkes. On December 1, 1955, in Montgomery, Alabama, Parks refused to obey bus driver James F. Blake's order that she give up her seat to make room for a white passenger. Even that pales into triviality when we recall that a Black person could be and frequently was lynched in public and left to hang before a whole community without criminal let alone social sanctions. Children were taken to watch and instil the correct Christian attitudes in another generation. A recent auction on BBC TV was for a Ku Klux Clan uniform made for a child (It had alleged historical interest but nobody touched it of course, except one who offered £1,000 to see it burned at once).

Have things got worse or better in the US after the passage of 70 years? Depends how you want to see it I suggest. Try this link ( I looked at yours) and see if you can cope with good news.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/pictures-that-will-restore-your-faith-in-humanity

I liked this link too, especially the sign reading "If your beliefs fit on a sign, think again"
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-100-best-signs-at-the-rally-to-restore-sanity

Cape Town

Moves
21 Jun 12

I'm sorry but as a kid and riding busses I've never seen or heard of anything like this.
Seriously, is that the best you can do? I suggest you try riding a bus in Syria, and you will start to realise that you are actually living in a rather nice place right now and shouldn't be complaining.
For your comparison to have any sort of validity you have to show that:
1. The youtube video is typical of the modern world (ie such behaviour is common and widespread.
2. That your childhood experiences are typical of the world at that time.
I think you will find it extremely difficult to show any evidence for either assertion and that the real difference is that you didn't have youtube as a child and simply had no idea what was going on elsewhere in the world.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
21 Jun 12

Originally posted by finnegan
Yes this is disgusting behaviour on the bus and in reality typical of the attitudes people hold towards fat people. The sad truth for these kids is that in fact they themselves are (statistically) doomed by the food industry and especially the sugar industry to be at least as over-weight in time. If losing weight was easy in our culture then the slimming b ...[text shortened]... ink again"
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-100-best-signs-at-the-rally-to-restore-sanity
Do you really think that Galveston or the JWs in general do not know that there are lots of good people and particularly good people doing good things out there in the world ?

You know what their problem is ?

Its the fact that 99% of the good decent and righteous people in this world, who Christ will accept ARE NOT JEHOVAH WITNESSES.

That fact is eating at their conscience. Unfortunately the JW brainwashing is stronger than their conscience, hence they continue to tow the party line and preach their doom and gloom.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
21 Jun 12

Originally posted by finnegan
Yes this is disgusting behaviour on the bus and in reality typical of the attitudes people hold towards fat people. The sad truth for these kids is that in fact they themselves are (statistically) doomed by the food industry and especially the sugar industry to be at least as over-weight in time. If losing weight was easy in our culture then the slimming b ...[text shortened]... ink again"
i think the real culprit may be high fructose corn syrup. the obesity epidemic seems to have started at around the time this poison was introduced to our diets.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
21 Jun 12
2 edits

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
i think the real culprit may be high fructose corn syrup. the obesity epidemic seems to have started at around the time this poison was introduced to our diets.
I like the taste of that high fructose corn syrup. It is in practically every thing I want to eat and now I have type II diabetes and my doctor says I must cut sugars from my diet, if I want to live a few years longer. However, I am not sure a few more years is worth the sacrifice, but my wife wants me to hang around a little longer. Maybe, so we can be with the Lord at the same time.
HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!

Moves
21 Jun 12

Originally posted by Rajk999
Do you really think that Galveston or the JWs in general do not know that there are lots of good people and particularly [b]good people doing good things out there in the world ?

You know what their problem is ?

Its the fact that 99% of the good decent and righteous people in this world, who Christ will accept ARE NOT JEHOVAH WITNESSES. ...[text shortened]... han their conscience, hence they continue to tow the party line and preach their doom and gloom.[/b]
And yet I might point out that according to your version of Christianity (and every other version of Christianity)
I and every other non-believer and every member of a different faith as well as any Christian that doesn't come
up to scratch face exactly the same problem in that we are apparently faced with the same choice of toadying
up to your insane god for all eternity or endure eternal torture/death...

The only difference being that you differ over who qualifies for toadying up to god and who will be killed/tortured
forever.

So you to all of you Christians I can make the same point.

Your reward for faith sounds as bad or worse than the punishment for the lack of it.

Give the ridiculous immensity of this universe apparently made just for us can we seriously not get a planet of our
own, where we can be left to our own devices without having to pay homage to your psychotic deity?

I would ask you to ask your god about this but your god doesn't exist, and your religion is a sham.

So please stop trying to foist this bloody stupid idea and it's tenets on anyone else.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
21 Jun 12

And yet I might point out that according to your version of Christianity (and every other version of Christianity)
I and every other non-believer and every member of a different faith as well as any Christian that doesn't come
up to scratch face exactly the same problem in that we are apparently faced with the same choice of toadying
up to your ins ...[text shortened]... .

So please stop trying to foist this bloody stupid idea and it's tenets on anyone else.
You need to get yourself a woman. Why do you bother to read a SPIRITUALITY forum if you cant stand Christians. Are you a masochist?

Re ... Give[n] the ridiculous immensity of this universe apparently made just for us can we seriously not get a planet of our, own, [Sure thing .. try Gliese 581 .. google it], where we can be left to our own devices without having to pay homage to your psychotic deity? [who asked to pay homage to anyone?]

Moves
21 Jun 12

You need to get yourself a woman. Why do you bother to read a SPIRITUALITY forum if you cant stand Christians. Are you a masochist?

Re ... Give[n] the ridiculous immensity of this universe apparently made just for us can we seriously not get a planet of our, own, [Sure thing .. try Gliese 581 .. google it], where we can be left to our own devices without having to pay homage to your psychotic deity? [who asked to pay homage to anyone?]
I didn't say I couldn't stand Christians.

It's the religion I can't stand, not the people.

And "You need to get yourself a woman"... seriously???

You really want to go that patronising and derogatory?

There couldn't possibly be anything wrong with your religion so there must be something
wrong with me and that it's not getting enough sex??

That's really what you want to go with?

Also, "...get yourself a woman..." like they are sold in a shop, and are not actual people with
thoughts and feelings worth considering.

That's how relationships work, men just go out and get themselves women...

Moron.

Also if your sarcasm detector didn't just explode it isn't working properly.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
21 Jun 12
1 edit

I didn't say I couldn't stand Christians.

It's the religion I can't stand, not the people.

And "You need to get yourself a woman"... seriously???

You really want to go that patronising and derogatory?

There couldn't possibly be anything wrong with your religion so there must be something
wrong with me and that it's not getting enough sex??

Also if your sarcasm detector didn't just explode it isn't working properly.
Go get yourself a man then πŸ˜€

Translated - it means get yourself a life. If the sum total of your life is lambasting Christians then something is sadly wrong with you. You are the common factor in almost all threads in this forum. Find something better to do with yourself because your efforts surely are wasted here.

F

Moves
21 Jun 12

Hey galveston75, if this dispute between googlefudge and Rajk999 were a YouTube clip, would you be citing it as proof of how intractable conflicts about spiritual issues have become, and as a sign of the end times being near? 😡

Moves
21 Jun 12

Go get yourself a man then πŸ˜€

Translated - it means get yourself a life. If the sum total of your life is lambasting Christians then something is sadly wrong with you. You are the common factor in almost all threads in this forum. Find something better to do with yourself because your efforts surely are wasted here.
Then say get a life and not your sexist moronic twaddle.

Also my life and how I spend my free time is entirely none of your business.

And I really do not spend much of my free time on this site.

And when I AM on this site I am almost always doing at least one other thing at
the same time and sometimes several.

And finally.

If your only rejoinder to my argument is to question why I bother to make the argument
it's because you have lost and have no counter argument.

In other words it's you that are beaten and should be asking yourself why.

Projecting onto me reflects on you, not me.

Particularly if you think that someone can't be complete or happy or whatever unless they are
having lots of sex. And that you seem to think that women's only purpose is to be sex relief for guys.

Whether or not I have a girl or boy friend and how much or little sex I have is not any of your or
anyone else's business.

And when talking to someone about wasting ones life, it would probably be better if you were not a
member of a pointless and false religion which expects and demands the wasting of an inordinate
amount of time and effort on something truly and utterly pointless.

The worship of an imaginary sky bully.