1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    23 Jun '12 00:27
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I predict a 'whatever' response coming soon.
    Whatever....Lol
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    23 Jun '12 00:29
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Wow. Even our little forum disagreements qualify us for the End Times now.
    Just a microcosm of the big bad world. 🙂
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    23 Jun '12 01:49
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    No it's a childish fantasy used by the priesthood to control and subjugate humanity
    (particularly women) and prop up their own power.

You are a deluded believe of fairy tales.

I am simply trying to show you how evil and depraved those fairy tales are.
    Yes I agree with you on the fact that religion as a whole has done some wicked things and I completely understand why so many like yourself hate it and the view you have about God and why he would allow that to happen 100%.
    But that is not that way accross the board.
    There is a true religion out there that would never be involved in that main stream religious crap that has been going of for thousands of years and has really stained most huimans view of God. He is nothing like the God they say they worship..
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    23 Jun '12 01:50
    I'm talking about the bible too.

It's an atheists greatest recruiting tool (for Christians)

The majority of atheists in the USA used to be Christians, and the overwhelming single
    largest reason given for them ceasing to believe in Christianity was sitting down and
    actually reading the bible.

If you want to see what's wrong with the bible and ...[text shortened]... gest you
    start here...

http://www.evilbible.com/

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/
    There is not 1 thing wrong with the Bible. The wrong is what man has done with it...............
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    23 Jun '12 15:06
    Originally posted by galveston75
    There is not 1 thing wrong with the Bible. The wrong is what man has done with it...............
    Really.

You make that a pillar of your faith then I can destroy it by finding one single error in the bible.

Given there are thousands claiming the bible is inerrant is really pretty stupid.

You really want to lay that gauntlet down?

because I will go through the bible and point out every single mistake, error and atrocity in it
    till you admit your mistake.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jun '12 15:24
    Really.

You make that a pillar of your faith then I can destroy it by finding one single error in the bible.

Given there are thousands claiming the bible is inerrant is really pretty stupid.

because I will go through the bible and point out every single mistake, error and atrocity in it
    are you still whinging, dear oh dear, get a skinhead and your bad hairdo will be sorted!
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    23 Jun '12 16:21
    Yes I agree with you on the fact that religion as a whole has done some wicked things and I completely understand why so many like yourself hate it and the view you have about God and why he would allow that to happen 100%.
    But that is not that way accross the board.
    There is a true religion out there that would never be involved in that main stream ...[text shortened]... has really stained most huimans view of God. He is nothing like the God they say they worship..
    Before you get to high and mighty I would point out that you're a member of a fundamentalist
    creationist cult.

So before you try out the "it's the other theists who do the stuff you don't like" line I would point
    out that your cult is very much one I have a problem with.

Your inane attacks on science and reason very much make you dangerous and worth opposing.
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    23 Jun '12 16:23
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    are you still whinging, dear oh dear, get a skinhead and your bad hairdo will be sorted!
    Still projecting I see, Have you just had a bad haircut and now must randomly accuse others of having
    one to compensate?

I would ask you to try communicating like a grown-up but you never did so that's evidently pointless.
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    23 Jun '12 16:502 edits
    Before you get to high and mighty I would point out that you're a member of a fundamentalist
    creationist cult.

So before you try out the "it's the other theists who do the stuff you don't like" line I would point
    out that your cult is very much one I have a problem with.

Your inane attacks on science and reason very much make you dangerous and worth opposing.
    So are you going to attack the Bible or the JW's? It would seem to me your beef has been with the Bible and how it's used by religion for the bad.
    So which is it?
    If your motive here is not to just hate everything in sight but actually want to see there may be something true and right with the Bible, let's go there, but if not and this is just to spout off your hate of it all, I'm not interested.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Jun '12 17:57

Actually that would be a futile attempt from the very beginning. There is a key reason why theists can claim the Bible is inerrant and get away with it. You see 'The Bible' doesn't actually exist. What you think of as 'The Bible' is a collection of books written in English and presumably interpreted in common English. However the theist is free to claim that although your version of the Bible clearly contains errors, one of the following might be the case:
    1. Your interpretation / understanding of the English is in error. This is frequently done by claiming that some words have non-standard meaning to God or in the given context. (which is sometimes a perfectly valid argument. Much of the Bible is open to interpretation and was intended to be by its writers).
    2. The translation is in error and the true meaning can be found in the original text.
    3. The original text has been lost and a copying error occurred.

I think 1. is the most popular. It doesn't matter how plainly wrong a verse in the Bible is, there will always be some way that a Christian can claim that you are interpreting it wrong. And you don't have the benefit of having their interpretation to study, so they are free to change their interpretation as you find errors in that.
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    23 Jun '12 19:05
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Actually that would be a futile attempt from the very beginning. There is a key reason why theists can claim the Bible is inerrant and get away with it. You see 'The Bible' doesn't actually exist. What you think of as 'The Bible' is a collection of books written in English and presumably interpreted in common English. However the theist is free to claim t ...[text shortened]... ion to study, so they are free to change their interpretation as you find errors in that.
    So since the original writings are gone and we can't compare them, how do you know the current Bibles are wrong?
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Jun '12 19:27
    So since the original writings are gone and we can't compare them, how do you know the current Bibles are wrong?
    It sounds like you are not understanding me. I am saying that you can give that as an excuse for why what the current Bibles say is clearly wrong. I was not claiming that they were wrong (as opposed to the original) (though of course they are as perfect translation is not possible and there are many different versions with often contradictory results).
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '12 19:481 edit
    Actually that would be a futile attempt from the very beginning. There is a key reason why theists can claim the Bible is inerrant and get away with it. You see 'The Bible' doesn't actually exist. What you think of as 'The Bible' is a collection of books written in English and presumably interpreted in common English. However the theist is free to claim t ion to study, so they are free to change their interpretation as you find errors in that.
    Actually that would be a futile attempt from the very beginning. There is a key reason why theists can claim the Bible is inerrant and get away with it. You see 'The Bible' doesn't actually exist.

This is important to realize. I would say it a little differently -- the Bible that exists -- the one that matters, that is inerrant -- is an "absent referent" in the most literal of the several meanings of that term. The word "Bible" as used by its most faithful followers, refers to something that is absent from our direct experience. It is not absent simply because we haven't seen it. Every manifestation of it that we can or could see, would necessarily be mediated through some imperfect human faculty, somewhere along the line, including our own fallible understanding. Edit: The most faithful might add that God through His grace can give a clearer vision of the Bible to some.

So any criticism we might have of the Bible, is criticism of an imperfect manifestation and experience of it. We should view our criticism as a signal that our acceptance of it needs improvement.
  14. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    24 Jun '12 00:44
    Actually that would be a futile attempt from the very beginning. There is a key reason why theists can claim the Bible is inerrant and get away with it. You see 'The Bible' doesn't actually exist. What you think of as 'The Bible' is a collection of books written in English and presumably interpreted in common English. However the theist is free to claim t ...[text shortened]... ion to study, so they are free to change their interpretation as you find errors in that.
    you forgot about the one where biblegod helps the believer understand the true meaning of the wrong text, so it only appears wrong to fool the unbeliever.

and that usually comes with a 😏
  15. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    24 Jun '12 00:44
    it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree