some people do get it

some people do get it

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Moves
06 Feb 07

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
Agreed. Your argument was indeed invalid.

What use is it to talk of a "love that cannot sin", when obviously no human being is capable of it?
You're right. No one is capable of agape love in all areas of life. But I can assure you that I have an agape love towards my baby which is precisely why I can never harm him, much less murder him. If you've never met someone who has an agape love - at least in some area of their life - then I understand (from what you've expressed to me and others so far) why you see the world the way you do. This is not meant to be condescending, merely my attempt to understand and respect you better. I respect your opinions, though I do not agree with most of them.

Please do not twist my intended meanings.

S

Moves
06 Feb 07

Originally posted by scottishinnz
None of these example of you relate to God in the slightest - people are not omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent or any other omni of your choice.
Forget the example if you don't think it applies. The question still remains, why do you think that temptation is where sin starts?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
06 Feb 07
1 edit

Originally posted by SharpeMother
Forget the example if you don't think it applies. The question still remains, why do you think that temptation is where sin starts?
No! You are trying to shift the goal post here. If God, in a manifestation of Jesus, does something, it can't be said to "be against God's way" anymore, and isn't sin. Also, God is perfect, right? God can't sin! Your entire argument is flimsy and self-defeating.

[edit; because God can't sin, He can't be tempted to sin, because, in fact, it isn't sin.]

S

Moves
06 Feb 07

No! You are trying to shift the goal post here. If God, in a manifestation of Jesus, does something, it can't be said to "be against God's way" anymore, and isn't sin. Also, God is perfect, right? God can't sin! Your entire argument is flimsy and self-defeating.

[edit; because God can't sin, He can't be tempted to sin, because, in fact, it isn't sin.]
Christ was fully man and He could've made the choice to sin (He had the ability but not the will); otherwise He wouldn't have been able to take our place on the cross. In addition, Satan wouldn't have tempted Him had it been a useless endeavor.

e

Moves
06 Feb 07

Originally posted by Queenofnight
Thank you very much eatmybishop, for being so polite about this discussion. There are some people on here who sound like angry children. (not naming any names-er-bigdog's got a problem..😉 )
OK.. If I had to choose between my own opinion or what the Bible has to say about it, I would have to go with the Bible. I don't belive they are just words writte ...[text shortened]... ot away with it once, I'm sure I would have done it again. .. Do you see what I'm saying?;
yes, i can see what you'r saying... i dont agree with you to be honest, but i think we all have to find our own god in this life, i think the funny part is we're all certain we believe in the right god, no one has the common sense to realise those many gods all share the same face...

e

Moves
06 Feb 07
1 edit

sharpemother... arnt we the judge though, if someone murders someone is that wrong, have they sinned? answer that question now for me... okay, now, how about if they murdered that person because that person was about to kill them and then rape their child; that person - in desperation - runs to the kitchen and stabs the person, just hoping to injure him so he will stop, however, the blade goes right into the heart and that person dies.... is that still a sin.... yes or no? it is you who has just judged, god had no say in that...

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
06 Feb 07

You're right. No one is capable of agape love in all areas of life. But I can assure you that I have an agape love towards my baby which is precisely why I can never harm him, much less murder him. If you've never met someone who has an agape love - at least in some area of their life - then I understand (from what you've expressed to me and othe ...[text shortened]... nions, though I do not agree with most of them.

Please do not twist my intended meanings.
While I'm sure you love your baby, I'm just as sure you cannot do it perfectly. Kids have a knack for testing their parents' patience. You will go overboard on occasion and say things you don't mean, or punish them more severely than they deserve, etc.

The standard of perfect love does not exist. We are all humans, and make mistakes. All we can do is try to correct our mistakes as best we can.

I have not tried to twist any meanings. When you use words like 'perfect', you are setting a very high standard.

c

Moves
07 Feb 07

The kind of love that I was referring to was agape love. Agape love is perfect and cannot sin.

Also, Andrea Yates and Susan Smith did not love their children while they murdered them. If depression really is what forced them to commit murder, the depression forced them to not love their children as well. That was an invalid argument.
Please excuse me; English is not my first language, I only learnt it as an adult. Could you tell me what is the meaning of 'agape' in the context of your usage, i.e. agape love? I've checked my Oxford dictionary here. The meaning of agape here is "adjective: (of the mouth) open wide".

Thanks.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
07 Feb 07

Christ was fully man and He could've made the choice to sin (He had the ability but not the will); otherwise He wouldn't have been able to take our place on the cross. In addition, Satan wouldn't have tempted Him had it been a useless endeavor.
This doesn't make sense.

Jesus is an incarnate form of God, right? They are both parts of one whole, right? Jesus couldn't sin.

As for Satan and useless endeavours, well, one might think that going up against an omnipotent God would be pretty pointless anyway.

Another contradiction in christian dogma.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
07 Feb 07

Originally posted by ckoh1965
Please excuse me; English is not my first language, I only learnt it as an adult. Could you tell me what is the meaning of 'agape' in the context of your usage, i.e. agape love? I've checked my Oxford dictionary here. The meaning of agape here is "adjective: (of the mouth) open wide".

Thanks.
It's a greek word meaning "brotherly love". 'Agape love' is a logical stupidity, literally 'brotherly love love'.

c

Moves
07 Feb 07

It's a greek word meaning "brotherly love". 'Agape love' is a logical stupidity, literally 'brotherly love love'.
Ahhh! Greek word! No wonder I couldn't figure it out. Hmmm...perhaps I need to learn some more languages, huh? Nah... 3 is enough. Thanks Scott.

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
07 Feb 07

Originally posted by ckoh1965
I don't know about other people and their respective choices. But for me, my choice is not to worship God and I still want to go to heaven. But I guess I'm not gonna get it according to my choice, huh?
Well, then I suggest that you accept Christ as your savior.

Q

Moves
07 Feb 07

Originally posted by eatmybishop
yes, i can see what you'r saying... i dont agree with you to be honest, but i think we all have to find our own god in this life, i think the funny part is we're all certain we believe in the right god, no one has the common sense to realise those many gods all share the same face...
OK.. If you don't mind me asking, who/what is your god? And also, is he/it perfect and loving like mine? I don't really understand what your saying about how they 'all share the same face..' Please expound on this. But I see what your saying about everyone thinking they are right. But how can there be multiple truths? Do you believe in only one truth?

Q

Moves
07 Feb 07

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
While I'm sure you love your baby, I'm just as sure you cannot do it perfectly. Kids have a knack for testing their parents' patience. You [b]will go overboard on occasion and say things you don't mean, or punish them more severely than they deserve, etc.

The standard of perfect love does not exist. We are all humans, and make mistakes. All we ...[text shortened]... ist any meanings. When you use words like 'perfect', you are setting a very high standard.[/b]
Or we can simply ask for forgivness for the mistakes we've made and therfor, be forgiven. It's not wrong to set high standards for oneself. The higher you set your standards, the higher you can reach!

c

Moves
07 Feb 07

Originally posted by RBHILL
Well, then I suggest that you accept Christ as your savior.
Why are we all born with a curse; the curse of needing to be saved?

Why must we all end up with only two choices when we die; either heaven or hell?

Why can't we just die and that is the end of it all; we just simply end up with nothingness, no lingering souls, no heaven, no hell?