some people do get it

some people do get it

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q

Moves
07 Feb 07

Originally posted by ckoh1965
Why are we all born with a curse; the curse of needing to be saved?

Why must we all end up with only two choices when we die; either heaven or hell?

Why can't we just die and that is the end of it all; we just simply end up with nothingness, no lingering souls, no heaven, no hell?
Then what reason would we have to live? If there wasn't going to be any life in the end at all, then it would be pointless.

c

Moves
07 Feb 07

Originally posted by Queenofnight
Then what reason would we have to live? If there wasn't going to be any life in the end at all, then it would be pointless.
I can't answer for other people; I can only answer for myself.

My reason for living is quite simple and straight-forward. I try to be a good person; I try not to inflict harm unto others; from my very humble background, I strifed really hard to make the best of everything if I can help it; I had to work days and with the miserable savings, studied nights to earn a degree; then while improving myself, I also try very hard to help others in whatever ways I can. I give charities if I can afford it; I work in my leisure time for no payment because it can do a lot of good to others in need; I never beat up my wife like my neighbour who does it all the time eventhough he attends Sunday mass weekly. I have a comfortable life now not because of prayers, but because of lots of hard work and sacrifices.

Those are reasons enough for my life. I think in some ways I have some profound positive effects on others' lives. When I die, maybe some people will remember me. And even if they won't I am satisfied. I would be happy that I have accomplished a lot during my lifetime.

I don't do all these things because I am looking forward to some sort of rewards to be in the kingdom of a conceited being who craves to be worshipped all the time. Neither am I doing it because of fear that I'll end up in an unpleasant place where I would be tortured for being so unlucky to have been born as a civilised human on earth.

Q

Moves
07 Feb 07

I can't answer for other people; I can only answer for myself.

My reason for living is quite simple and straight-forward. I try to be a good person; I try not to inflict harm unto others; from my very humble background, I strifed really hard to make the best of everything if I can help it; I had to work days and with the miserable savings, studied night ...[text shortened]... e I would be tortured for being so unlucky to have been born as a civilised human on earth.
My meaning was, what is the purpose of ANY life even existing if it wasn't for someones glory? And that someone being the One who created us all. And about your neighbor; There are so many people who go to mass, church, or to Bible studies, but I highly doubt they could give you a clear discription of what they believe. As in, they probably aren't saved. But this isn't for me to judge. No one is without sin. Being saved doesn't fix a persons personality. People can only change if they want to, and if they work very hard for it.
I commend you for being so diligent in what you do! However, if you intend on that being good enough to get you anywhere,(ie. Heaven.) this is what the Bible has to say about it, "For by grace are ye saved through faith; And that not of yourselves it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."~Ephesains 2:8+9

c

Moves
07 Feb 07

My meaning was, what is the purpose of ANY life even existing if it wasn't for someones glory? And that someone being the One who created us all. And about your neighbor; There are so many people who go to mass, church, or to Bible studies, but I highly doubt they could give you a clear discription of what they believe. As in, they probably aren't save ...[text shortened]... ourselves it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."~Ephesains 2:8+9
Yes, that is the trouble with god. Nothing else really matters. He doesn't really care if you have done good during your lifetime. What does matter to him is that you love him, glorify him, submit to him, worship him. Then the rest is secondary. If for example I go to church, bible studies, work very hard to spread christianity etc, am I then entitled to boast about it?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
07 Feb 07

Or we can simply ask for forgivness for the mistakes we've made and therfor, be forgiven. It's not wrong to set high standards for oneself. The higher you set your standards, the higher you can reach!
Right...but high standards aren't at issue here...perfection is.

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
07 Feb 07

Yes, that is the trouble with god. Nothing else really matters. He doesn't really care if you have done good during your lifetime. What does matter to him is that you love him, glorify him, submit to him, worship him. Then the rest is secondary. If for example I go to church, bible studies, work very hard to spread christianity etc, am I then entitled to boast about it?
Yes, you can boast about the Lord.

E

Moves
07 Feb 07

Originally posted by RBHILL
Yes, you can boast about the Lord.
maybe if you do it enough he wont send you to hell

c

Moves
07 Feb 07

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
Hmmm... again the fear of going to hell. Oh well, I guess I'll take my chances...

Q

Moves
07 Feb 07

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
The ONLY way God will not send you to hell is if you SIMPLY trust that He took your sins, and peid for them, on the cross! It is sooo easy! It has NOTHING to do with good works. Salvation is simply based on if you believe or if you don't.

Q

Moves
07 Feb 07

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
Right...but high standards aren't at issue here...perfection is.
We should all be striving for perfection.

S

Moves
07 Feb 07

We should all be striving for perfection.
Why?

Q

Moves
07 Feb 07

Originally posted by Starrman
Why?
To make the world, and our lives while we are on this earth, a better place. Also, so that when we do get to heaven, we can receive rewards for the good we have done. Therefor, if you are saved, and have done no good works, you won't receive any rewards. That doesn't mean your going to get kicked out of heavev though.

S

Moves
07 Feb 07

To make the world, and our lives while we are on this earth, a better place. Also, so that when we do get to heaven, we can receive rewards for the good we have done. Therefor, if you are saved, and have done no good works, you won't receive any rewards. That doesn't mean your going to get kicked out of heavev though.
Okay, firstly, are you saying that different rewards await you in heaven depending on what you've done on earth? You don't just get in full stop?

Secondly, aiming for perfection is ridiculous and impossible. Aiming to make the world a better place is however worthwhile.

Pimp!

Gangster Land

Moves
07 Feb 07

If there are rewards in heaven prusembly based on some sort of merit system then how can everyone be happy (a heavenly gurantee if I'm not mistaken)?

The moment you introduce rewards you create opposing classes, the "haves" and the "have nots" in this case and the "have nots" are going to be pretty pissed when they find out that heaven does not measure up to the brochure.

Are you sure God has put enough thought into this heaven place?

e

Moves
07 Feb 07
1 edit

are you saying you're good on earth because you want your rewards in heaven?