1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '16 18:53
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    If truth does exist, would it matter if people did not believe it?
    If you act on the truth or ignore the truth, it certainly matters.
  2. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    19 Nov '16 19:03
    Originally posted by whodey
    If you act on the truth or ignore the truth, it certainly matters.
    I would certainly hope so. Seems Badwater either believes in relative truth or doesn't care about universal truth.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '16 19:06
    I would certainly hope so. Seems Badwater either believes in relative truth or doesn't care about universal truth.
    Is gravity real? After all, I can't see it, I can't touch it, I can't measure it.

Dunno, guess I will jump off the bridge to find out.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Nov '16 20:16
    Do we act on what is true, or on what we believe is true?

If we act on what we believe is true and find it was untrue does that cause us to question what led us to believe the untruth?
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Nov '16 20:18
    Is gravity real? I can't measure it.
    Yes, american education is terrible isn't it.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Nov '16 20:21
    Of course truth exists. Whether it matters that people believe it, depends on which particular truth. Whether you believe the 1000th digit of pi is a particular number is typically not going to matter that much.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Nov '16 21:38
    Is gravity real? After all, I can't see it, I can't touch it, I can't measure it.

Dunno, guess I will jump off the bridge to find out.
    Step on a scale. Weight is a measure of gravity.
  8. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 01:16
    Originally posted by Badwater...
    The spiritual and the anti-spiritual both suffer from the same lack of fact. Both seem to not be able to say "I don't know." Can you assert that there is a "god?" Can you assert that there is not a "god?" No, of course you can't - which ironically places both believer and atheist on the same path. You are blinded to the other, but also inexorably attached to the other, Do you really not see the irony?...
    You conflate spirituality with religion.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 01:50
    Not for Trump voters
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 01:59

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 02:01
    Originally posted by sonship
    So the topic is [b]Spirituality. Fine. Lets' see how we can work this exchange into Badwater's subject.

What a disingenuous question.

It is a question to get things out in the open.
    The clergy / laity system has not been good for the flourishing of spirituality all that much.

It puts TOO much pressure on some members of the ...[text shortened]... of consecration. One dealing is for one believer and another is tailored for another believer.[/b]
    So why the disingenuous question? Why pretend that you don't even know what the word means?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 02:041 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    Come on FMF. After me laboring on that long reply, come back now with your customary innuendo-ed few. See if you can get a zinger in there in under 20 words.
    Does the ideological sneering demonstrated by your first post on this thread apply to all of the billion (or more) Christians whose belief in Christ is exercised in a way not in accordance with your particular dogmatic preferences?
  13. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 04:43
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Of course truth exists. Whether it matters that people believe it, depends on which particular truth. Whether you believe the 1000th digit of pi is a particular number is typically not going to matter that much.
    If I believe something to be true and you don't and I give you reasons why I find that belief to be compelling, you should surely be able to tell me on what basis you reject the reasons I have given you. Saying you don't find them compelling is a cop out in my opinion. Surely there has to be a reason why you don't find them compelling that you are aware of.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 05:45
    If I believe something to be true and you don't and I give you reasons why I find that belief to be compelling, you should surely be able to tell me on what basis you reject the reasons I have given you. Saying you don't find them compelling is a cop out in my opinion. Surely there has to be a reason why you don't find them compelling that you are aware of.
    This seems to be a new variant on an old ripcord question. I wonder how many hundreds of times you are going to ask it in the weeks ahead. 😕
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Nov '16 05:52
    [i]Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk to twhitehead/i]
    If I believe something to be true and you don't and I give you reasons why I find that belief to be compelling, you should surely be able to tell me on what basis you reject the reasons I have given you.
    Why does the fact that you just so happen to find something to be compelling create such an obligation for twhitehead?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree