1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    15 Jan '17 02:16
    "Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility"

    - St. Augustine.
  2. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    15 Jan '17 02:27
    Originally posted by whodey
    "Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility"

    - St. Augustine.
    Saint Augustine was speaking primarily to Christians.

    What's your assessment of the humility demonstrated by the Christians active in this online community?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    15 Jan '17 02:54
    Originally posted by FMF
    Saint Augustine was speaking primarily to Christians.

    What's your assessment of the humility demonstrated by the Christians active in this online community?
    I didn't think Christians were suppose to be in judgment over other Christians, so I reckon that leaves you.

    Lay down your judgments FMF.
  4. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    15 Jan '17 03:13
    Originally posted by whodey
    I didn't think Christians were suppose to be in judgment over other Christians, so I reckon that leaves you.
    OK so your OP isn't about discussing that. I see.

    Did you "lay first the foundation of humility" with your faith? Is it a watchword for how you conduct yourself as a Christian?

    I wonder if your OP might be about discussing that?
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    15 Jan '17 03:441 edit
    How to Become a Christian - Studying the Facts
    The Bible explains how to become a Christian in very simple terms:
    • Realize that everyone has sinned and can not live up to God's standard of holiness. Romans 3:23 says, "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."

    • Understand that the penalty for our sin is death. Romans 6:23 states: "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

    • Accept God's gift. God sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to die in our place, so we could be spared from hell. Romans 5:8 says, "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." According to the Bible, we aren't required to subscribe to a religious formula or do more good things than bad ones. God gives His gift freely to all who ask. "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved" (Romans 10:13).

    http://www.allaboutgod.com/how-to-become-a-christian.htm


    Evidently no humility required.

    Evidently no words of Jesus required either.

    Collect your FREE GIFT and carry on as usual.
  6. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Joined
    20 Apr '16
    Moves
    2040
    15 Jan '17 03:49
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [quote]How to Become a Christian - Studying the Facts
    The Bible explains how to become a Christian in very simple terms:
    • Realize that everyone has sinned and can not live up to God's standard of holiness. Romans 3:23 says, "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."

    • Understand that the penalty for our sin is death. Romans 6:23 sta ...[text shortened]...

    Evidently no words of Jesus required either.

    Collect your FREE GIFT and carry on as usual.
    Is the text you quoted what you believe or what you think all other Christians believe?
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    15 Jan '17 04:02
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    Is the text you quoted what you believe or what you think all other Christians believe?
    Evidently it's what at least some Christians believe. Perhaps more than you'd like to think.
  8. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Joined
    20 Apr '16
    Moves
    2040
    15 Jan '17 04:161 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Evidently it's what at least some Christians believe. Perhaps more than you'd like to think.
    No doubt. Are you a Christian? If so, what do you believe?
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    15 Jan '17 04:171 edit
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    No doubt. Are you a Christian? If so, what do you believe?
    How do your beliefs differ from the quoted text?
  10. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Joined
    20 Apr '16
    Moves
    2040
    15 Jan '17 04:24
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    How do your beliefs differ from the quoted text?
    I will gladly answer your question when you have answered mine.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    15 Jan '17 04:44
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    I will gladly answer your question when you have answered mine.
    Seeing as your first question was a poorly thought out false dichotomy and your posts in general seem to be more about you asking questions rather than engaging in discussion, I think I'll defer.
  12. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Joined
    20 Apr '16
    Moves
    2040
    15 Jan '17 05:01
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [quote]How to Become a Christian - Studying the Facts
    The Bible explains how to become a Christian in very simple terms:
    • Realize that everyone has sinned and can not live up to God's standard of holiness. Romans 3:23 says, "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."

    • Understand that the penalty for our sin is death. Romans 6:23 sta ...[text shortened]...

    Evidently no words of Jesus required either.

    Collect your FREE GIFT and carry on as usual.
    Repentance should be the first step, which means you cannot carry on as usual. This is a central teaching of Christianity.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    15 Jan '17 05:27
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    Repentance should be the first step, which means you cannot carry on as usual. This is a central teaching of Christianity.
    That's the only way that your beliefs differ? As strongly as you seemed to object to the quoted text, I was thinking there'd be a whole list.

    What's your concept of repentance?

    I'll give you mine. It's the same as what God describes here:
    Ezekiel 18
    21“But if a wicked person turns away from all the sins they have committed and keeps all my decrees and does what is just and right, that person will surely live; they will not die. 22None of the offenses they have committed will be remembered against them. Because of the righteous things they have done, they will live. 23Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Sovereign Lord. Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live?

    24“But if a righteous person turns from their righteousness and commits sin and does the same detestable things the wicked person does, will they live? None of the righteous things that person has done will be remembered. Because of the unfaithfulness they are guilty of and because of the sins they have committed, they will die.

    25“Yet you say, ‘The way of the Lord is not just.’ Hear, you Israelites: Is my way unjust? Is it not your ways that are unjust? 26If a righteous person turns from their righteousness and commits sin, they will die for it; because of the sin they have committed they will die. 27But if a wicked person turns away from the wickedness they have committed and does what is just and right, they will save their life. 28Because they consider all the offenses they have committed and turn away from them, that person will surely live; they will not die. 29Yet the Israelites say, ‘The way of the Lord is not just.’ Are my ways unjust, people of Israel? Is it not your ways that are unjust?

    30“Therefore, you Israelites, I will judge each of you according to your own ways, declares the Sovereign Lord. Repent! Turn away from all your offenses; then sin will not be your downfall. 31Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, people of Israel? 32For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign Lord. Repent and live!
    .

    Is your conception of repentance the same as God's?
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35519
    15 Jan '17 05:45
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Is your conception of repentance the same as God's?
    Let's be clear, here.

    Are you asking him if his concept of repentance is the same as God's, or if it is the same as yours?

    This is a common flaw in Christian thinking, that their concepts are the same as God's.

    When Christians disagree, it is most often because one of them takes issue with the other's concepts, not God's concepts. And yet still, most Christians believe their concepts are the same as God's concepts. But, we're human. Many disagreements come about because one simply wants to prove the other wrong, many feel they do not need to prove themselves right, first.
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    15 Jan '17 05:532 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Let's be clear, here.

    Are you asking him if his concept of repentance is the same as God's, or if it is the same as yours?

    This is a common flaw in Christian thinking, that their concepts are the same as God's.

    When Christians disagree, it is most often because one of them takes issue with the other's concepts, not God's concepts. And yet s ...[text shortened]... ply wants to prove the other wrong, many feel they do not need to prove themselves right, first.
    I'm asking if it's the same as what God describes in Ezekiel 18 - specifically what is in bold. What God describes is straightforward and quite clear.

    Does yours differ?
Back to Top