1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '17 18:233 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    To fulfill the will of God one must be hooked up with Jesus.

Christians should not try to overcome evil by their own power because their own power is not enough, Lucifer is much too powerful. However, compared to God, Lucifer is a school girl.

All God asks if that men humble themselves and realize they are sinners and seek to use the power of God in th ...[text shortened]... ocess. The only righteousness we can ever have is following God who is righteous through faith.
    Yet here is Moses speaking for God and clearly stating that it " is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach. ...you may obey it" when speaking of being able to "obey the Lord your God and keep his commands"

Deuteronomy 30
    6The Lord your God will circumcise your hearts and the hearts of your descendants, so that you may love him with all your heart and with all your soul, and live... 8You will again obey the Lord and follow all his commands I am giving you today...The Lord will again delight in you and make you prosperous, just as he delighted in your ancestors, 10if you obey the Lord your God and keep his commands and decrees that are written in this Book of the Law and turn to the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul.11Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach. 12It is not up in heaven, so that you have to ask, “Who will ascend into heaven to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?” 13Nor is it beyond the sea, so that you have to ask, “Who will cross the sea to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?” 14No, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Jan '17 00:23
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Yet here is Moses speaking for God and clearly stating that it " is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach. ...you may obey it" when speaking of being able to "obey the Lord your God and keep his commands"

Deuteronomy 30
    6The Lord your God will circumcise your hearts and the hearts of your descendants, so that you may love him with al ...[text shortened]... the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it.
    Even Moses was kept out of the Promised land because he sinned.

All men sin, that is why they had to offer sacrifices to God.
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    17 Jan '17 01:29
    Originally posted by josephw
    It is my firm conviction that the first and primary essential step toward all Truth is believing God.
    Truth adheres with reality. The reality is that your God is absent. He is hiding for some reason.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Jan '17 04:373 edits
    Even Moses was kept out of the Promised land because he sinned.

Are you going to speak to what was said in Deuteronomy 30? Do you believe that Moses was lying about speaking for God? Do you believe that God was lying?

Do you believe that God was lying to Cain here?
    Genesis 4
    6And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen? 7If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

Just because a system of sacrifices was set up for those who sin, doesn't necessarily mean that "all men sin" or that no one can stop committing sin. Can you really not understand that?
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Jan '17 06:011 edit
    Are you going to speak to what was said in Deuteronomy 30? Do you believe that Moses was lying about speaking for God? Do you believe that God was lying?

Do you believe that God was lying to Cain here?
    [quote]Genesis 4
    6And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen? 7If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? ...[text shortened]... n that "all men sin" or that no one can stop committing sin. Can you really not understand that?
    I believe that everyone sins, and then once they have sinned, become a slave to it unless God breaks the chains. Naturally, we have to want that to happen and allow him to work in our lives. Additionally, if we follow his commands we can bypass falling into other sins.

You really don't get it, do you? Our righteousness depends completely on the righteousness of God. Only if we tap into it can we have it through our faith.

What Is Pride?
    ◾It is boasting in self and not the Lord.
    ◾It is taking credit ourselves for what God alone can do.
    ◾It is relying on self and not God.
    ◾It is feeling sufficiency in our own strength and not in God's.
    ◾It is the disinclination to admit that we are mere earthen vessels so that another gets the glory.
    ◾It is the unwillingness to admit weaknesses that may accent the power of Christ.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Jan '17 10:48
    I believe that everyone sins, and then once they have sinned, become a slave to it unless God breaks the chains. Naturally, we have to want that to happen and allow him to work in our lives. Additionally, if we follow his commands we can bypass falling into other sins.

You really don't get it, do you? Our righteousness depends completely on the righteou ...[text shortened]... ts the glory.
    ◾It is the unwillingness to admit weaknesses that may accent the power of Christ.
    I would be interested in where in the Bible you get these points on, and definition of pride. I agree with a couple of them but most are misinterpretations of Bible statements. Here they are:

Our righteousness depends completely on the righteousness of God.
    Only if we tap into it can we have it through our faith.

What Is Pride?
    ◾It is boasting in self and not the Lord.
    ◾It is taking credit ourselves for what God alone can do.
    ◾It is relying on self and not God.
    ◾It is feeling sufficiency in our own strength and not in God's.
    ◾It is the disinclination to admit that we are mere earthen vessels so that another gets the glory.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    17 Jan '17 12:16
    Originally posted by apathist
    Truth adheres with reality. The reality is that your God is absent. He is hiding for some reason.
    Or is it you that's hiding from God?

To know God means to know Him on His terms. Logic dictates that as God's creation we are subject to Him. We give an account of ourselves to our maker. Not the other way around. That's what being humble means, and it is what God requires.

Isaiah 57:15
    For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.

You can't say God is hiding when He's speaking right at you. God's terms, your humility. It's as simple as that.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Jan '17 16:412 edits
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    I would be interested in where in the Bible you get these points on, and definition of pride. I agree with a couple of them but most are misinterpretations of Bible statements. Here they are:

Our righteousness depends completely on the righteousness of God.
    Only if we tap into it can we have it through our faith.

What Is Pride?
    ◾It is boast ...[text shortened]... ory.
    Which ones offend you?

In addition, how is attributing all that we are and all that we can do to the power of God unbiblical? I would love to see that scripture.

Without God and his power, we are nothing.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Jan '17 17:541 edit
    Which ones offend you?

In addition, how is attributing all that we are and all that we can do to the power of God unbiblical? I would love to see that scripture.

Without God and his power, we are nothing.
    Yep ... avoiding the question. Did I sy anything offends me?

You would love to see scrupture? So would I but I know you cannot provide them.

Repeating these cliches .. Without God and his power, we are nothing.. does not help. It is true but irrelevant.

Anyway here are some points to ponder:
    - Suppose there is an evil crooked sinful Christian, can he attribute all that he is to the power of God?
    - Does God like complacency and think that people should hang around waiting for HIM to do everything, because that is what your post is encouraging.
    - Does God not like those who help themselves, who getup and work and accomplish things?
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Jan '17 19:49
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    No doubt. Are you a Christian? If so, what do you believe?
    so must distrust between Christians. Hindus don't operate like this amongst themselves.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Jan '17 22:161 edit

You really don't get it, do you? Our righteousness depends completely on the righteou ...[text shortened]... ts the glory.
    You continue to avoid addressing the verses and passages I've asked you about. Do you think that if you ignore them, then they don't exist?

Looks like you lifted the "What is Pride?" text from:
    http://www.desiringgod.org/messages/let-him-who-boasts-boast-in-the-lord
    Why didn't you give them credit?

That site cites Isaiah 2:11 as an example of how "God hates human pride""
    "11The eyes of the arrogant will be humbled and human pride brought low; the Lord alone will be exalted in that day.

What it omits is the fact that what God sees as arrogance is the refusal to obey and keep God's will and the fact that man is not only capable but expected to do so:
    Isaiah 1
    16Wash and make yourselves clean.Take your evil deeds out of my sight;stop doing wrong.
    17Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.
    18“Come now, let us settle the matter,” says the Lord. “Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson,they shall be like wool.
    19If you are willing and obedient,you will eat the good things of the land;
    20but if you resist and rebel, you will be devoured by the sword.”

Humility is not saying "Lord, Lord", but rather it is "do[ing] the will of [Jesus'] Father"
    Matthew7
    21“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.

What don't you get about this?
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '17 01:111 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Yep ... avoiding the question. Did I sy anything offends me?

You would love to see scrupture? So would I but I know you cannot provide them.

Repeating these cliches .. Without God and his power, we are nothing.. does not help. It is true but irrelevant.

Anyway here are some points to ponder:
    - Suppose there is an evil crooked sinful Christian, ...[text shortened]... aging.
    - Does God not like those who help themselves, who getup and work and accomplish things?
    Wait...wut?

So repeating the clichés that we are nothing without God and his power is true but irrelevant? You then want me to provide scriptures for what you already stated is true?

And yes, if there is a wicked human being engaging in sin, it is allowed by the power of God and his mercy and longsuffering. He has every right to snuff them out via his will. And yes, he gave them the power to reject him, so yea, they still owe their very existence to God whether they give him credit or not.

You then take the jump that I'm encouraging people to "do nothing". Why is that? I assume you think I'm also encouraging people to live in sin and not worry about sin. Why is that? I've made no such comments. All I've said is that none of us are anything without the power and might of God. It is our choice to seek him or reject him at our own peril.

As for questioning my assessment that no one has not sinned, who in your estimation has never sinned?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '17 01:20
    You continue to avoid addressing the verses and passages I've asked you about. Do you think that if you ignore them, then they don't exist?

Looks like you lifted the "What is Pride?" text from:
    http://www.desiringgod.org/messages/let-him-who-boasts-boast-in-the-lord
    Why didn't you give them credit?

That site cites Isaiah 2:11 as an example of how ...[text shortened]... s the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. [/quote]

What don't you get about this?
    Humility is not saying "Lord, Lord", but rather it is "do[ing] the will of [Jesus'] Father"

Yes, and what is the will of God? Let me guess, it is not laying down our sins at the cross, right?

Nothing I could ever do or say could atone for my sins, how about you?
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Jan '17 09:53
    Wait...wut?

So repeating the clichés that we are nothing without God and his power is true but irrelevant? You then want me to provide scriptures for what you already stated is true?

And yes, if there is a wicked human being engaging in sin, it is allowed by the power of God and his mercy and longsuffering. He has every right to snuff them out via h ...[text shortened]... r questioning my assessment that no one has not sinned, who in your estimation has never sinned?
    OK .. so you said this - ..It is our choice to seek him or reject him at our own peril.

Do you mind explaining further? Because my take on what is involved in seeking God and rejecting God appears to be different from yours.

To seek God [for me] is to seek after righteousness, the avoidance of sin and good works, becuase these are the things which Gods Son, Jesus who was sent, said that we should do to enter the Kingdom of God.
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '17 14:163 edits

Yes, and what is the will of God? Let me guess, it is not laying down our sins at the cross, right?

Seems like you can do little more than regurgitate the dogma that's been given to you.

Do you really believe that by ignoring the verses and passages presented to you, that they don't exist?

God sees it differently from you. Evidently you place your dogma above the words of God:
    Ezekiel 33
    10“Now as for you, son of man, say to the house of Israel, ‘Thus you have spoken, saying, “Surely our transgressions and our sins are upon us, and we are rotting away in them; how then can we survive?”’ 11“Say to them, ‘As I live!’ declares the Lord GOD, ‘I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn from his way and live. Turn back, turn back from your evil ways! Why then will you die, O house of Israel?’ 12“And you, son of man, say to your fellow citizens, ‘The righteousness of a righteous man will not deliver him in the day of his transgression, and as for the wickedness of the wicked, he will not stumble because of it in the day when he turns from his wickedness; whereas a righteous man will not be able to live by his righteousness on the day when he commits sin.’ 13“When I say to the righteous he will surely live, and he so trusts in his righteousness that he commits iniquity, none of his righteous deeds will be remembered; but in that same iniquity of his which he has committed he will die. 14“But when I say to the wicked, ‘You will surely die,’ and he turns from his sin and practices justice and righteousness, 15if a wicked man restores a pledge, pays back what he has taken by robbery, walks by the statutes which ensure life without committing iniquity, he shall surely live; he shall not die. 16“None of his sins that he has committed will be remembered against him. He has practiced justice and righteousness; he shall surely live.

17 “Yet your fellow citizens say, ‘The way of the Lord is not right,’ when it is their own way that is not right. 18“When the righteous turns from his righteousness and commits iniquity, then he shall die in it. 19“But when the wicked turns from his wickedness and practices justice and righteousness, he will live by them. 20“Yet you say, ‘The way of the Lord is not right.’ O house of Israel, I will judge each of you according to his ways.”

Isn't placing your dogma above the words of God tantamount to saying "The way of the Lord is not right"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree