1. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    15 Jan '17 05:541 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    That's the only way that your beliefs differ? As strongly as you seemed to object to the quoted text, I was thinking there'd be a whole list.

What's your concept of repentance?

I'll give you mine. It's the same as what God describes here:
    Ezekiel 18
    21[b]“But if a wicked person turns away from all the sins they have committed and keeps all ...[text shortened]... reign Lord. Repent and live!

Is your conception of repentance the same as God's?
    Before we move on, let's establish some common ground.

Which of these do you think best describes the Bible?

1. The entire Bible is inspired by God.
    2. Only parts of the Bible are inspired by God.
    3. None of it is inspired by God.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Jan '17 06:02
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    Before we move on, let's establish some common ground.

Which of these do you think best describes the Bible?

1. The entire Bible is inspired by God.
    2. Only parts of the Bible are inspired by God.
    3. None of it is inspired by God.
    If you're interested in having a discussion, then answer the question.

If you're not interested, then don't.

Did you even read what God had to say in Ezekiel 18?
  3. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    15 Jan '17 06:23
    If you're interested in having a discussion, then answer the question.

If you're not interested, then don't.

Did you even read what God had to say in Ezekiel 18?
    Yes I am, and yes I did. Why won't you tell me what your view of the Bible is?
  4. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    15 Jan '17 09:10
    Originally posted by whodey
    "Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility"
    - St. Augustine.
    Thank you for the thread title. 🙂

Humility foundations? How can we compare them? That was a joke, based on my love of irony.
  5. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    15 Jan '17 09:13
    I was disgusted by his lack of courage and honesty, displayed when he dismissed your question.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Jan '17 16:012 edits
    Yes I am, and yes I did.

Let's see what I asked:
    That's the only way that your beliefs differ?

What's your concept of repentance?

I'll give you mine. It's the same as what God describes here [Ezekiel 18]

Is your conception of repentance the same as God's?:

Where exactly did you address the above?

Why won't you tell me what your view of the Bible is?

Because I'm interested in discussing the matter at hand. You seemed to indicate that you would too, yet you've introduced a question that's tangential at best.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Jan '17 17:12
    Originally posted by FMF
    OK so your OP isn't about discussing that. I see.

Did you "lay first the foundation of humility" with your faith? Is it a watchword for how you conduct yourself as a Christian?

I wonder if your OP might be about discussing that?
    Well the beginning of humility is to realize that you are fundamentally flawed human being that is a wretch and in desperate need of a savior.

It's a step by step adventure as you come to Christ warts and all.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Jan '17 17:44
    Repentance should be the first step, which means you cannot carry on as usual. This is a central teaching of Christianity.
    I think you misunderstand what sonship and some other like josephw say. They say that one needs to profess their belief in Jesus and they will be saved [given eternal life]. Of course they speak of repentance and good works, but these are not necessary and/or not counted against the Christian if it is not done. The Christian will still get eternal life.

If one truly believes then good works and repentance will follow. Demonstration of repentance and good works is a lifelong pursuit the success of which can only be judged by Jesus Christ after the life of the Christian has ended. In the New Testament while Jesus preached he told some followers and disciples that they have eternal life. Jesus knows these things. Christians do not know and can not know who has or dont have eternal life. Yet Christians constantly cliam that they do.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Jan '17 18:283 edits
    Well the beginning of humility is to realize that you are fundamentally flawed human being that is a wretch and in desperate need of a savior.

Let's see.

With the later OT prophets, the prophets and God warn people of their arrogance in not keeping God's will. They tell them that they are capable of keeping God's will and that it is required.

When Jesus walked the Earth, He warns people of their arrogance in not keeping God's will. He tells them that they are capable of keeping God's will and that it is required.

Despite this, in your mind "the beginning of humility" is not to repent and humbly keep God's will, but to claim that "you are fundamentally flawed human being that is a wretch and in desperate need of a savior." To claim that, because of Adam and Eve, you are incapable of keeping God's will. How is that not arrogance rather than humility?

That's really something, whodey.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Jan '17 22:291 edit
    Let's see.

With the later OT prophets, the prophets and God warn people of their arrogance in not keeping God's will. They tell them that they are capable of keeping God's will and that it is required.

When Jesus walked the Earth, He warns people of their arrogance in not keeping God's will. He tells them that they are capable of keeping God's will ...[text shortened]... God's will. How is that not arrogance rather than humility?

That's really something, whodey.
    To fulfill the will of God one must be hooked up with Jesus.

Christians should not try to overcome evil by their own power because their own power is not enough, Lucifer is much too powerful. However, compared to God, Lucifer is a school girl.

All God asks if that men humble themselves and realize they are sinners and seek to use the power of God in their lives to overcome their sin. Jesus compared sinners to those who are enslaved by chains. Only Jesus has the key.

The only people Jesus condemned were those who thought that they were better than sinners. These were men who went to the Synagogue and prayed, "Thank you God for making me so much better than the average sinner", but Jesus said that only those who humbled themselves and asked for mercy from God were heard by God.

To think that your righteousness could ever equal God's is a pretty arrogant thought process. The only righteousness we can ever have is following God who is righteous through faith.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '17 22:51

Yes, but what about the questions you were purporting to answer and which you didn't? Did you "lay first the foundation of humility" with your faith? Is it a watchword for how you conduct yourself as a Christian?
  12. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    15 Jan '17 22:58
    Good people are found all over this world. If gods want more than that, they should show their faces.

My god is earth. She shows herself to us every day.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Jan '17 23:24
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes, but what about the questions you were purporting to answer and which you didn't? Did you "lay first the foundation of humility" with your faith? Is it a watchword for how you conduct yourself as a Christian?
    The foundation of humility is realizing that you are nothing without Christ.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Jan '17 23:26
    Originally posted by apathist
    Good people are found all over this world. If gods want more than that, they should show their faces.

My god is earth. She shows herself to us every day.
    Your God is who created you.

Did the earth create you?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '17 23:28
    The foundation of humility is realizing that you are nothing without Christ.
    Yes but what about the two questions I've asked you about humility?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree