Taking the good

Taking the good

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Sep 22

@fmf said
I'm trying to figure out your views

I don't see why you are having difficulty. Perhaps being determined to disagree with me is undermining your ability to comprehend - or sometimes even simply acknowledge - what I have said in order to explain my views.
Consensus, what you think, these are very fluid, and descriptive.

F

Moves
29 Sep 22

@kellyjay said
What do you mean by "fluid" and "descriptive"?

F

Moves
29 Sep 22

@fmf said
If you would be unable to condemn murder, rape and theft as morally unsound - or definite them as evil - without your belief in a God, as I am able to, then so be it. If you feel you are able to condemn "calling someone a fool" and not believing in your God as morally unsound and evil because of your belief in a God, then so be it.
BUMP for KellyJay

F

Moves
29 Sep 22

@fmf said
Our consciences do not consist of "what we like" unless we are sociopaths. Our consciences are produced by a synthesis of our characters and our experiences. They govern us. Our consciences [along with moral consensus around us, and sanctions attendant thereto] prevent us from acting in certain ways.
BUMP for KellyKay

F

Moves
29 Sep 22

@kellyjay said
descriptive

Indonesia: capital punishment is seen as morally sound by most people [description]

Britain: capital punishment is seen as morally unsound by most people [description]

F

Moves
29 Sep 22

@fmf said
fluid

The moral consensus where I have lived for the last 20 years has scarcely changed and, indeed, isn't much different from 30 years ago when I first lived here for a few years. How "fluid" is that?

The symbiotic relationship between my conscience as an individual and the communal/consensus contexts [UK, Japan, Australia, Indonesia] has scarcely changed over the last 40 years. How "fluid" is that?

What do YOU mean by "fluid"?

F

Moves
29 Sep 22

@KellyJay
descriptive

Me: My moral compass tells me that what DeSantis did with those human beings was sheer wickedness. It's the kind of sociopathic behaviour that ought to disqualify him from public office. If Biden had done exactly what DeSantis did last week, or Liz Chaney, or Lindsey Graham, or Hilary Clinton, or Mitt Romney, or Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, or Mike Pence, Katie Porter, or Kevin McCarthy had treated those humans in that way, or whoever had done it, I'd say the same thing. [description]

You refuse to comment on the morality of what DeSantis did. [description]

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Sep 22

@fmf said
Nothing concrete about anything you have brought to the table so far concerning
knowing good and evil. You can have an idea, change your mind, and you and many
others can have an idea, and change your minds, nothing suggests anything is
good or evil under those conditions.

The notion that human consensus was part of the process you identified was
on its face ridiculous since some humans by consensus could think one way, and
another group of humans can think another both sets with consensus hold
opposing views, good evil are not identified they are just ideas that can change
on a dime.

Outside of God what it is that makes something good and evil?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Sep 22

@fmf said
@KellyJay
descriptive

Me: My moral compass tells me that what DeSantis did with those human beings was sheer wickedness. It's the kind of sociopathic behaviour that ought to disqualify him from public office. If Biden had done exactly what DeSantis did last week, or Liz Chaney, or Lindsey Graham, or Hilary Clinton, or Mitt Romney, or Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, or Mike P ...[text shortened]... e thing. [description]

You refuse to comment on the morality of what DeSantis did. [description]
Your moral compass tells you one thing, whatever thing you happen to like and
agree with while others don't see it that way, that a discussion on what is good or
what do you like?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Sep 22

@fmf said
fluid

The moral consensus where I have lived for the last 20 years has scarcely changed and, indeed, isn't much different from 30 years ago when I first lived here for a few years. How "fluid" is that?

The symbiotic relationship between my conscience as an individual and the communal/consensus contexts [UK, Japan, Australia, Indonesia] has scarcely changed over the last 40 years. How "fluid" is that?

What do YOU mean by "fluid"?
Your moral compass is right where its always been with you, whatever you think,
there it is.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Sep 22

@fmf said
Why has your belief in your God figure made you unable to express a moral view on what DeSantis did to those human beings two weeks ago?
I am not interested in discussing DeSantis, you find that somehow a moral failing
on my part? A moral failing is an interesting term, you think that is possible?

F

Moves
29 Sep 22

@kellyjay said
Nothing concrete about anything you have brought to the table so far concerning
knowing good and evil.
I disagree. Perhaps you have not been reading what I have been posting.

F

Moves
29 Sep 22

@kellyjay said
You can have an idea, change your mind, and you and many
others can have an idea, and change your minds, nothing suggests anything is
good or evil under those conditions.
Well, I don't think my definition of "evil" changes, never has, and never would unless I became a sociopath or a psychopath.

F

Moves
29 Sep 22

@kellyjay said
Your moral compass tells you one thing, whatever thing you happen to like and
agree with while others don't see it that way, that a discussion on what is good or
what do you like?
My moral compass tells me something I "happen to like"?

If this is how you think the human conscience works, you go for it, KellyJay.

F

Moves
29 Sep 22

@kellyjay said
I am not interested in discussing DeSantis, you find that somehow a moral failing
on my part?
I think this episode makes you come across as an unconvincing commentator on morality. I think this episode makes you seem cowardly and evasive and so your assertion that "calling someone a fool" is "evil" just sounds ludicrous.