1. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 Nov '08 00:21
    Originally posted by Badwater
    I would not; equality doesn't exist in the human experience.
    Probably the only equality in all societies is the underlying potential to be violent and cruel. What helps to suppress/encourage it is the make-up of the society ... the history, the religion, the culture, the economy the standard of living, unemployment.

I would say, Yes .. religion does influence violence.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Nov '08 00:33
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    actually the taleban doctrine was a product of the Pakistan religious leaders, 'the maulvi, (like a priests or cardinal i suppose) head the madras or religious schools and are very influential in the country, politically, locally and nationally, depending on how militant the leader of the madras depends on how violent they become, anyhow this ideolo ...[text shortened]... try to portray, because for a certainty, violence against women or non believers is permitted!
    Permitted? More like demanded. Like the 13 yo girl just killed by stoning, accused of adultery when in fact she was raped by three men, then killed by putting her in the ground with her head showing and then the crowd killed her with stones. So I wonder this: Later when she was dead, and found to be innocent of adultery, what happened to the men? My guess is nothing.
    My wife and I visited several Palestinian orphanages and at one the proprietors hid one of the women because her brother wanted to kill her in an honor killing.
    I just can not fathom the heartlessness of someone wanting to kill a woman who is their own flesh and blood sister. It made me feel like I was on another planet somewhere and not on Earth.
    It is so obviously from mankind all this horror comes, if there was a real god, it would kick butt seeing all this sub-human behavior. Even animals don't behave like that. It really took us living in Israel for 4 years to feel how such cruelty takes place. I can see why the Palestinians rale against the Jews and I can see why the Jews react to the bombs. A friend, Murial, a street musician, was at the Dusengoff square bombing in Tel Aviv, 20 feet from the suicide bomber, his head hit her body, she lost all her musical instruments, and stayed at our flat for a week, we picked out broken glass from her hair for three days, she was of course in a daze the whole week. The thing I really hate is the utter thoughtless of what havoc such things wreak on innocents and the perps WANT it that way. I am certainly scarred by all this so forgive me if I rale against it.
  3. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Nov '08 01:00
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Probably the only equality in all societies is the underlying potential to be violent and cruel. What helps to suppress/encourage it is the make-up of the society ... the history, the religion, the culture, the economy the standard of living, unemployment.

I would say, Yes .. religion does influence violence.
    Yes, to the extent that it will be used as the reason or excuse to incite violence; however, in and of itself, it is by no means causal.
  4. Joined
    24 Feb '07
    Moves
    14 Nov '08 04:04
    The difference between violence in Islam and violence in Christianity is that the Muslims are following their religion and the Christians are not. The Taliban for instance are simply being good Muslims where as the KKK are totally going against their religion.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Nov '08 04:42
    Originally posted by chappy1
    The difference between violence in Islam and violence in Christianity is that the Muslims are following their religion and the Christians are not. The Taliban for instance are simply being good Muslims where as the KKK are totally going against their religion.
    And that makes it ok for both, I guess.
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 Nov '08 07:45
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I am certainly scarred by all this so forgive me if I rale against it.
    I understand.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '08 07:51
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    And that makes it ok for both, I guess.
    Bulls eye. 🙂

But what the talibans are doing is not according to the quoran either.

One thing I cannot understand is why muslems all over the world doesn't cry out "Why are you dragging Allah's name in the dirt! Why do you pretend to be good moslems while acting like savages!"

As Christians say "KKK is not a part of the christian tradition, don't mix them with good christians!"
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Nov '08 09:11
    whether this is Islams fault or cultural i have yet to make up my mind, but i think that it Islam had its seeds sown in violence and will always be a religion of violence, no matter what people try to portray, because for a certainty, violence against women or non believers is permitted!
    Would you say the same about Christianity? It too has its share of violent history and permission for and outright demanding of violence.

My experience with male dominance is that it is both cultural and human nature and religion is used as an excuse. In Zambia, the favorite excuse is 'its my culture'. You can get away with almost anything with that excuse.
    In Zambia if a man dies, his relatives come and take all his goods leaving his wife and children destitute. The relatives give the excuse that it is their culture, but in reality they are just thieves with an excuse.

Education helps to reduce the inequalities between men and women, and that is one of the reasons why men in a male dominated society do not want women to get educated.

Cape Town has a large Muslim population (there are about as many Mosques as Churches if not more). I have several friends who are Muslim and have worked for and with Muslims, both male and female. I find it ridiculous for anyone to pretend that the behavior of a particular Muslim in Afghanistan is representative of all Muslims.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Nov '08 10:122 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Would you say the same about Christianity? It too has its share of violent history and permission for and outright demanding of violence.

My experience with male dominance is that it is both cultural and human nature and religion is used as an excuse. In Zambia, the favorite excuse is 'its my culture'. You can get away with almost anything with that ex ...[text shortened]... tend that the behavior of a particular Muslim in Afghanistan is representative of all Muslims.
    can you show me or anyone else for that matter, from the teachings of Christ where there is permission for violence, for i myself have studied them for more than a decade and i have yet to find a pretext for violence! if you cannot, then you must, of necessity admit that the teaching of Christ and the actions of Christians are two distinct entities. this is not true of Islam which as sonhouse has already stated, not only gives permission for the use of violence, but demands it, and there are many Koranic verses which i can relate to prove this, on the other hand i cannot find one verse from the teachings of Christ which does so! no, not one! however the sad fact of the matter is that every religion, Jews, Hindus, Muslims, Christians, etc etc with the exception of a very few, have the blood of literally millions on their hands, literally! i challenge anyone to deny this!
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Nov '08 11:00
    can you show me or anyone else for that matter, from the teachings of Christ where there is permission for violence, for i myself have studied them for more than a decade and i have yet to find a pretext for violence! if you cannot, then you must, of necessity admit that the teaching of Christ and the actions of Christians are two distinct entities. ...[text shortened]... ave the blood of literally millions on their hands, literally! i challenge anyone to deny this!
    I notice how you carefully restrict your claim to 'the teachings of Christ'. But that does not address the religion of Christianity which by the way is not solely based on the teachings of Christ.
    Are you willing to admit that the Bible contains many examples of violence perpetrated in the name of God and commanded or acted out by God?
    If so then why do you not characterize the religion of people who use the whole Bible as their sacred text in the same light as you wish to characterize Muslims?

Now if you will please list a few of the Quranic verses that give permission for or demand the use of violence.
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 Nov '08 11:191 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I notice how you carefully restrict your claim to 'the teachings of Christ'. But that does not address the religion of Christianity which by the way is not solely based on the teachings of Christ.
    In the same way, Islam is not solely based on the teachings -- or transcriptions -- of Mohammed. How could it be? Everything written requires interpretation. Reading is a creative act. The decision to murder comes first, then the search for justification.

I've recently come across the story of the Pastoureaux, [sarcasm]undoubtedly one of the most edifying stories in all of Christendom[/sarcasm]. Here's the Catholic version of it:
    http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11539a.htm
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Nov '08 11:27
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    undoubtedly one of the most edifying stories in all of Christendom.
    In what sense do you think it is edifying?
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 Nov '08 11:32
    Originally posted by Palynka
    In what sense do you think it is edifying?
    In every.
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Nov '08 11:38
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    In every.
    Come on, say more. I'm not looking for an argument.
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    14 Nov '08 11:42
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Come on, say more. I'm not looking for an argument.
    After two failed attempts at sarcasm, I'll come clean: the story of the Pastoureaux is the nec plus ultra of Christian blood farce. I can see it filmed by Bunuel.

Danilo Kis drew on it in order to draw a peculiar philosophical parallel between the methods of the Inquisition and the NKVD.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree