1. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    26 Mar '18 12:07
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Faith in Jesus. What is your faith based on?
    Considering the context of this thread I would say my faith is based on the whole of God's Word as it is contained in the book called the Bible from Genesis through Revelation. Every jot and tittle.

I don't cherry pick to suit.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Mar '18 17:591 edit
    Originally posted by @secondson
    Considering the context of this thread I would say my faith is based on the whole of God's Word as it is contained in the book called the Bible from Genesis through Revelation. Every jot and tittle.

Let's see.

In the "God Condoned Chattel Slavery" thread you made the following assertion:
    <<Leviticus 25:44&45 is not saying God condones slavery.>>

And then there's reality

Leviticus 25
    44“ ‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life,..

In Leviticus 25:44-46 God is depicted as:
    Expressly giving permission for Jews to buy slaves. Expressly stating that they are their property. Expressly stating that they can be bequeathed to their children. Expressly stating that they can be made slaves for life.

By the very definition that is chattel slavery and God is expressly condoning it.

This is an example of what I had in mind when I wrote:
    <<Though most refuse to admit it, they pick and choose the verses and passages that support their beliefs and dismiss those that don't and often do so in a most disingenuous manner... Those who claim that they do not pick and choose are disingenuous at best. >>

"The truth will make you free".
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '18 20:44
    Originally posted by @secondson

I’m asking you what you pr faith is based on, how is that cherry picking?

Basing your faith on the bible is not scriptural, we are told to base out faith only in Christ,
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 18:50
    “Woe unto him that striveth with his Maker! Let the potsherd strive with the potsherds of the earth. Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou? or thy work, He hath no hands?”

(Isaiah 45:9)
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 19:07
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    “Woe unto him that striveth with his Maker! Let the potsherd strive with the potsherds of the earth. Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou? or thy work, He hath no hands?”

(Isaiah 45:9)
    Wrong thread.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 20:22
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Dive is not one of the mouth-worshipers on this site.
    So, in order to make this simple declarative statement, you must be prepared to list his "works", and other ways he carries out the will of God, according to you and your other statements that other Christians here fall short. Because I submit that you have just as much proof of his "works" as you have proof that other Christians here do NOT have "works". None.

In other words, you have nothing to base this declaration on, except your support for him as a poster who regularly "sticks it" to Christians in this forum. You support him merely because he attacks Christians in this forum in much the same way as you do. This is incredibly self-serving on your part.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 20:24
    “Moreover the Lord answered Job, and said,

Shall he that contendeth with the Almighty instruct him? he that reproveth God, let him answer it.

Then Job answered the Lord, and said,

Behold, I am vile; what shall I answer thee? I will lay mine hand upon my mouth.

Once have I spoken; but I will not answer: yea, twice; but I will proceed no further.

Then answered the Lord unto Job out of the whirlwind, and said,

Gird up thy loins now like a man: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me.

Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be righteous?

Hast thou an arm like God? or canst thou thunder with a voice like him?

Deck thyself now with majesty and excellency; and array thyself with glory and beauty.

Cast abroad the rage of thy wrath: and behold every one that is proud, and abase him.

Look on every one that is proud, and bring him low; and tread down the wicked in their place.

Hide them in the dust together; and bind their faces in secret.”

(Job 40:1-13)
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 20:29
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    So, in order to make this simple declarative statement, you must be prepared to list his "works", and other ways he carries out the will of God, according to you and your other statements that other Christians here fall short. Because I submit that you have just as much proof of his "works" as you have proof that other Christians here do NOT have "works". ...[text shortened]... ans in this forum in much the same way as you do. This is incredibly self-serving on your part.
    I don't think that's a fair comment. No one is claiming to know how other posters live their lives and the quantity and quality of the good works they do. Rajk's observation that Dive is not a mouth worshiper is based purely and justifiably on the things he has consistently written in these forums. And I agree with him.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 20:38
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    I don't think that's a fair comment. No one is claiming to know how other posters live their lives and the quantity and quality of the good works they do. Rajk's observation that Dive is not a mouth worshiper is based purely and justifiably on the things he has consistently written in these forums. And I agree with him.
    And, of course, this has "nothing" to do with how Rajk consistently raises up atheists in this forum as "righteous".

Again, just as I told Rajk, your support of him is based on his support of you. No surprises there.
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 20:48
    And, of course, this has "nothing" to do with how Rajk consistently raises up atheists in this forum as "righteous".

Again, just as I told Rajk, your support of him is based on his support of you. No surprises there.
    All these years and you still don't get what he is talking about. The atheist thing is irrelevant. (Or at least for God alone to judge). The important thing is acting out the good in our hearts, not just talking about it or thinking we are saved by belief alone or that good works are meaningless in themselves.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 21:53
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    All these years and you still don't get what he is talking about. The atheist thing is irrelevant. (Or at least for God alone to judge). The important thing is acting out the good in our hearts, not just talking about it or thinking we are saved by belief alone or that good works are meaningless in themselves.
    Why?
    Why is it "the important thing"?
    I'm not disagreeing, but I am curious why you think the important thing is the act--- or how you're valuating "important" in the first place.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 22:31
    So, in order to make this simple declarative statement, you must be prepared to list his "works", and other ways he carries out the will of God, according to you and your other statements that other Christians here fall short. Because I submit that you have just as much proof of his "works" as you have proof that other Christians here do NOT have "works". ...[text shortened]... ans in this forum in much the same way as you do. This is incredibly self-serving on your part.
    Why is “sticks it” in quotation marks?

If certain so called Christians didn’t hold horrendous beliefs or behave dishonesty in this forum they wouldn’t find themselves get it “stuck” into them at all.
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 22:51
    Why is “sticks it” in quotation marks?

If certain so called Christians didn’t hold horrendous beliefs or behave dishonesty in this forum they wouldn’t find themselves get it “stuck” into them at all.
    Where can tribute be sent to indicate the overflowing appreciation the entire body of sub-standard practitioners feel for your incomparable contributions to humanity?
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Mar '18 23:09
    Originally posted by @freakykbh
    Where can tribute be sent to indicate the overflowing appreciation the entire body of sub-standard practitioners feel for your incomparable contributions to humanity?
    The four corners of the earth.
  15. S. Korea
    Moves
    28 Mar '18 02:01
    I am a Christian, a real one in my opinion. I have a faith, I respect the gospel of Jesus Christ and I believe that Jesus is Lord.

However, I also look at Christianity and at the bible and the other part of me thinks “WTF!” Eternal torture, genocidal floods and talking snakes.

Anyone else have this issue, just wondering?
    I actually never had this issue because I never operated from the perspective that man is fundamentally good. I think that the goodness that I have had, what little there is, is not from my own doing but from the doing of my parents and those around me. If I was left to my own devices, I would live in a way that is not different from a rude headhunting tribesman; a backwards worshiper of power who has no real regard for right and wrong.

One of the more profound things that I learned was that historically people felt shame about their losses. People dind't actually feel like victimhood imbued righteousness -- it belied weakness. This is why entire civilizations refused to record their defeats -- see Israel Finklestein about this.

Man's "goodness" is like nothing. We have to follow the words of Christ to be good at all. And, without them, there really isn't any goodness to speak of, for even the "Logos" that interpenetrates all of humanity is from God. It is a small grace, but before Christ, it was excessively rare, and often perverted at the hands of those who did not turn themselves properly over to the spirit.

So I do not really think of man as something that deserves only goodness... But, more importantly, I have total faith in God to mete out justice, and instead of depending on a postmodern understandign, and hardening my heart to view that my perspective on "justice" and what should happen is the right one, I acknowledge that the words of God are accurate and I will follow that teaching.

As far as "talkign snakes," I am not sure why you have a problem with this. You can interpret this as having occurred on another plane.

Once you accept that there is a creator God and God fo the Universe who can do as He Wills, and all is subject to Him, and that this is the God of the Bible... It falls into place.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree