1. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    19 Nov '10 19:52
    Most conversions happened in public or at local synagogues, though some worship and teaching happened at homes, the majority did not. How is that the same or different than today? and, What are the merits of a public ministry over a house to house ministry (and vice versa)?

discuss
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Nov '10 20:10
    Originally posted by duecer
    Most conversions happened in public or at local synagogues, though some worship and teaching happened at homes, the majority did not. How is that the same or different than today? and, What are the merits of a public ministry over a house to house ministry (and vice versa)?

discuss
    I got saved and Spirit-filled in someone's house not a church.
    Kelly
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    19 Nov '10 21:501 edit
    Originally posted by duecer

discuss
    Acts 20:20-21 (New American Standard Bible)

20 how I (A)did not shrink from declaring to you anything that was profitable, and teaching you publicly and from house to house,
    21 solemnly (B)testifying to both Jews and Greeks of (C)repentance toward God and (D)faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.

Matthew 10:11-13,

11"And whatever city or village you enter, inquire who is worthy in it, and stay at his house until you leave that city.
    12"As you enter the house, (A)give it your greeting.
    13"If the house is worthy, give it your blessing of peace. But if it is not worthy, take back your blessing of peace.

Acts 5:42 (New American Standard Bible)

42 (A)And every day, in the temple and from house to house, they kept right on teaching and (B)preaching Jesus as the Christ.

Luke 8:1 (New American Standard Bible)

1 Soon afterwards, He began going around from one city and village to another, (A)proclaiming and preaching the kingdom of God. The twelve were with Him,

Mark 16:15 (New American Standard Bible)

15 And He said to them, "(A)Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.

Matthew 24:14 (New American Standard Bible)

14 "This (A)gospel of the kingdom (B)shall be preached in the whole (C)world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come.

Matthew 28:19-20 (New American Standard Bible)

19 "(A)Go therefore and (B)make disciples of (C)all the nations, (D)baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,
    20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, (E)I am with you always, even to (F)the end of the age."

These scriptures make it very clear that not only did they preach to groups on street corners but also doing it door to door and house to house. They both have there advantages but the obvious advantage of the door to door aproach is the 1 on 1 chance one has to answer questions and to teach. That work Jesus assigned to all Christains is still here for us to follow today and has not been cancelled or changed by Jesus to us.
    So to say that most conversations accured publically and not door to door is probably not true. The opportunity to preach to large crowds was frowned upon by the Romans and Greeks and was hit and miss at best. They we chased out of many towns and areas for their preaching work.
    The main point here is that Jesus nor the apostles sat in a church or building and just waited for ones to come to them as is the custom now. Work and sometimes it was dangerous work was done to go out and find ones who were sheeplike and wanting to hear the message Jesus had to offer.
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    19 Nov '10 21:52
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I got saved and Spirit-filled in someone's house not a church.
    Kelly
    So somebody saved you? Who was it?
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Nov '10 05:57
    Originally posted by galveston75
    So somebody saved you? Who was it?
    You have to ask?
    Kelly
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    20 Nov '10 06:13
    You have to ask?
    Kelly
    Well you said it was in someones house so I'm just wondering who was involved? Was it like a ceremony?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '10 11:181 edit
    Well you said it was in someones house so I'm just wondering who was involved? Was it like a ceremony?
    Lol, perhaps a dove descended and the heavens were opened
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Nov '10 15:03
    I give credit to Jesus Christ, and prayer was involved.
    Kelly
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Nov '10 15:04
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Lol, perhaps a dove descended and the heavens were opened
    For someone who is supposed to be a follower of God, you have a very sinful
    heart to belittle that which is Holy.
    Kelly
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    20 Nov '10 15:08
    I give credit to Jesus Christ, and prayer was involved.
    Kelly
    I'm really trying to understand this process so just bear with me but was someone else there that helped make this happen? Like a friend or priest? Thanks...
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Nov '10 15:111 edit
    I'm really trying to understand this process so just bear with me but was someone else there that helped make this happen? Like a friend or priest? Thanks...
    A stranger at the time.
    Credit belongs to Jesus Christ, He made it happen.
    Kelly
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '10 15:27
    For someone who is supposed to be a follower of God, you have a very sinful
    heart to belittle that which is Holy.
    Kelly
    Lol, yes that is correct i am a sinner, whether i have belittled anything which is Holy remains to be seen, these types of experiences are after all, purely subjective and almost impossible to corroborate.
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    20 Nov '10 15:39
    A stranger at the time.
    Credit belongs to Jesus Christ, He made it happen.
    Kelly
    So was this stranger a spirit or fleshly being? I'm not trying to pry into your private life but I still don't understand. Is everyone else who believes they are saved go thru this too?
  14. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    20 Nov '10 16:212 edits
    So was this stranger a spirit or fleshly being? I'm not trying to pry into your private life but I still don't understand. Is everyone else who believes they are saved go thru this too?
    I understand what Kelly is saying. I guess I would call it the conversion experience. My neighbor said God did show him a vision. The vision basically was an open door in the heavens and he says Jesus spoke to him in a voice and said stop the path your on and just come through this door. I can't argue it seems on the extreme side but he has always been honest in other dealings so I have no reason to doubt what this man told me. Most evangelic or Protestant Christians believe at the point when you allow Christ into your life and heart and mind and acknowledge that we are sinners that at that point you become a Christian. Hence the sinners prayer. I do have issue with the cookie cutter concept but I think Christ is not bound by some formula and can come to man in anyway He chooses. :-)

Manny
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    20 Nov '10 17:14
    Originally posted by menace71
    I understand what Kelly is saying. I guess I would call it the conversion experience. My neighbor said God did show him a vision. The vision basically was an open door in the heavens and he says Jesus spoke to him in a voice and said stop the path your on and just come through this door. I can't argue it seems on the extreme side but he has always been hone ...[text shortened]... st is not bound by some formula and can come to man in anyway He chooses. :-)

Manny
    Very interesting. I'm not one to knock what one see's or hears or experiances from a spiritual perspective at all.
    But Kelly hasn't answred yet and probably will but I'm still not sure if someone else like a priest is involved in this experiance. Let me know....Thanks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree