The Book of Amos

The Book of Amos

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
29 Aug 09
2 edits

Originally posted by KellyJay
I can do that, but I'm not the one who said someone took things
out of context, I was hoping that could be proven! So I was not
willing to do another's homework to prove their point.
Kelly
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lonnee-hamilton/placing-reverend-wrights-_b_92738.html

I made these arguments when the issue was fresh. But it comes up again and again. Yet somehow I am weak and my well documented assertions are nothing because I am calling "extremists" those who try to resuscitate the dead horse.

Here's how it stands: FOX or their allies can post a rebuttal of the Huffington Post, or the claim that Wright is some sort of anti-American racist is without foundation. But that's nothing new for the crowd spewing this nonsense, as their views on science, politics, and theology are NEARLY ALWAYS groundless.

Kelly, you should know better than to demand documentation and links from only one side of a controversy. Having cited my own authority, and a stack of books that you have no interest in reading, the link to my name beside my every post should be enough of a link. It is FAR more than you have asked of Wright's persecutors.

d

Moves
29 Aug 09

Originally posted by Wulebgr
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lonnee-hamilton/placing-reverend-wrights-_b_92738.html
http://theiowarepublican.com/home/2009/06/09/obama-the-prodigal-son-of-rev-jeremiah-wright/

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Aug 09

I made these arguments when the issue was fresh. But it comes up again and again. Yet somehow I am weak and my well documented assertions are nothing because I am calling "extremists" those who try to resuscitate the dead horse.

Here's how it stands: FOX or their all ...[text shortened]... ost should be enough of a link. It is FAR more than you have asked of Wright's persecutors.
I've asked nothing from Wrights persecutors they produced what they
produced. You claim they are in error, I was hoping for something
a little more than go read a book.
Kelly

W
Angler

River City

Moves
30 Aug 09
1 edit

I've asked nothing from Wrights persecutors they produced what they
produced. You claim they are in error, I was hoping for something
a little more than go read a book.
Kelly
I produced references to two critical historic traditions--you can believe me OR read a book. They have not offered that much to explain their perceptions.

You will continue to believe what you have predisposed yourself to believe; consequently you will continue in your error.

You are not a child. I can expect that you have some acquaintance with the history of your nation; and as a Christian that claims to know certain truths, I can expect that you have some comprehension of American expressions of Christian spirituality. I don't care whether you read a book or not. These books only will tell you what you ought already to know.

Let's try this little game--getting back from the threadjacking:

In the book of Amos, substitute America for the word Israel, and modify any necessary geographical references. Will you denounce the prophet as those you are so eager to accept have denounced Reverend Wright?

Consistency demands no less.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
30 Aug 09
2 edits

I produced references to two critical historic traditions--you can believe me OR read a book. They have not offered that much to explain their perceptions.

You will continue to believe what you have predisposed yourself to believe; consequently you will continue in your error.

You are not a child. I can expect that you have some acquaintance with the h are so eager to accept have denounced Reverend Wright?

Consistency demands no less.
Have you listened to the sermon?
Kelly

W
Angler

River City

Moves
30 Aug 09
2 edits

Have you listened to the sermon?
Kelly
Have you read this thread?

I base my views not on what some journalist stated, but upon two-three hours watching the sermons in their entirety from which FOX extracted the clips, ...

BTW, that's the same post in which I presented a reading list to get you started. Reading you refuse to consider.

I've spent the better part of several decades studying American culture, including many hundreds upon hundreds of hours reading books and scholarly articles, as well as popular texts, and engaging in conversations with believers of many Christian denominations, ... then some thirty years attending church one to three times per week, and reading the Bible cover-to-cover at least a half dozen times.

All this was mere preparation for an entire afternoon watching Rev Wright on YouTube and a few other sites (as I recall). Now, I'll admit that this one afternoon is far less than those that have spend years in his growing church, but I think you might imagine it is certainly far more than the vast majority of those that have denounced him on the basis of a few clips on FOX.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
01 Sep 09

Have you read this thread?

[b]I base my views not on what some journalist stated, but upon two-three hours watching the sermons in their entirety from which FOX extracted the clips, ...

BTW, that's the same post in which I presented a reading list to get you started. Reading you refuse to consider.

I've ...[text shortened]... e than the vast majority of those that have denounced him on the basis of a few clips on FOX.[/b]
I disliked the sermon I heard that you posted, I felt he spent to much
time worried about race when in fact some of the things he was talking
about had nothing to do with race. I also liked some of the points he
made too, so for me it was a mixed bag, but he would not be
someone I could sit under for very long.
Kelly

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
01 Sep 09

I disliked the sermon I heard that you posted, I felt he spent to much
time worried about race when in fact some of the things he was talking
about had nothing to do with race. I also liked some of the points he
made too, so for me it was a mixed bag, but he would not be
someone I could sit under for very long.
Kelly
if you were black, the things he said would have made sense and been poignent. There are some excellent seminars on white priveledge that your church should sponser, it will open your eyes.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
01 Sep 09
1 edit

Originally posted by duecer
if you were black, the things he said would have made sense and been poignent. There are some excellent seminars on white priveledge that your church should sponser, it will open your eyes.
It really doesn't matter to me if that were true, point being I do not
view the human race as something that is divided up into colors. I am
of the opinion we are all the same color, it is just that some have more
of it than others. It is just as wrong as a white person bemusing the
notion that blacks act this way or that as if they were some type of
different species. To harp on one color or another is racist it does not
matter if you are bashing white or black or something else.
Kelly

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
01 Sep 09
1 edit

d ...[text shortened]... other is racist it does not
Kelly
that's rich. you view the world as one color? Have you ever been black? Ever been called a nigger? ever been denied a loan or a job because the color of your skin? Do old ladies grip their purses more tightly when they see you coming?, Do people cross the street to avoid meeting you on a sidewalk. has anyone ever told their kids they can't play with your kids because of the color of their skin? Have many of your ancestors have been bought or sold into slavery? Did your grandmother have to ride in the back of the bus, or stand up if a white wanted to sit down? How the hell could you possibly understand what black liberation theology is all about with an attitude like yours. You are no Christian that's for sure.

rc

Moves
01 Sep 09

"Can a man who's warm understand one who's freezing? -

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, Alexander Solzhenitsyn

T

Moves
01 Sep 09

Kelly
While you "do not view the human race as something that is divided up into colors", a large part of the population does with the long-standing racist attitudes that go with it. Those who point out and seek to undo the effects from those attitudes are not necessarily racist for taking this on. It's impossible to bring up without bringing up race.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
01 Sep 09
1 edit

Kelly
Christianity is an inherently historical faith, yet you profess a Christian faith that denies human history.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
02 Sep 09

Originally posted by duecer
that's rich. you view the world as one color? Have you ever been black? Ever been called a nigger? ever been denied a loan or a job because the color of your skin? Do old ladies grip their purses more tightly when they see you coming?, Do people cross the street to avoid meeting you on a sidewalk. has anyone ever told their kids they can't play with your kids ...[text shortened]... tion theology is all about with an attitude like yours. You are no Christian that's for sure.
I'm telling you how I view it, you feel I shouldn't have any views on
the matter because I have not been black? Get a grip! No I have not
gone through those things, that does not void my opinion or make
it any less important as yours! It only means I have a different back
ground nothing more.

With respect to slavery it is/was a world wide institution, whites, blacks,
and other colors bought and sold white, black, and other colors. Your
point of view again is yours, it does not void mine. What you have
gone through and what I have shape us, and my back ground with
all I have gone through tells me that we are no different from one
another, we are the same race. If you have an issue with that, by
all means spell it out for me. Tell me what makes one better or worse
than another and why we as a people are not equal.

I'm not really interested in a specific theology just around a specific
color, any more than I am other doctrines I believe that fall short of
Jesus' teachings. I don't believe Jesus worried about color, he was
about truth, honesty, grace, and love, and sin that steals, kills, and
destroys.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
02 Sep 09

Christianity is an inherently historical faith, yet you profess a Christian faith that denies human history.
I profess a Christian faith that says we need to rise above human
history.
Kelly