1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jun '18 03:47
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    You are doing it again...creating a straw man..

I have been talking about eternal suffering in this forum for years and years; never once have I made a position against it based on my “feelings”.

Why do you keep doing this, it seems as if you don’t want to actually read what I’m writing but would rather create your own version of what you want me to be writing so you can attack it.
    Yes, I'm asking for you to answer my questions in a give and take. Have to keep asking
    because you don't.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '18 04:31
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    Yes, I'm asking for you to answer my questions in a give and take. Have to keep asking
    because you don't.
    I don’t what? What are you talking about?
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '18 04:33
    because you don't.
    I’ve asked you for examples of when eternal suffering in hell is depicted in the bible as being “real” rather than parabolic.

Have you got any?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '18 04:34
    because you don't.
    I have been talking about eternal suffering in this forum for years and years; never once have I made a position against it based on my “feelings”.

Why are you saying I do? Got any examples?
  5. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    23 Jun '18 05:021 edit
    I’ve asked you for examples of when eternal suffering in hell is depicted in the bible as being “real” rather than parabolic.
    Don't answer if it's too personal. But I'm curious. What would you imagine a parabolic hell to be like.

It is described both as "dark" and hot and fiery. If that's literal, it means hell can't be entirely fiery because of the darkness. I have never been able to grasp a true picture of hell in my mind.

Some people say the best depiction of hell they've seen is in the movie What Dreams May Come with Robin Williams.

I think the best rendition of it (though much shorter of a glimpse) is in Constantine with Keanu Reeves.

Both movies recommended.

The best song lyrics describing (what I picture as) hell, is below, but please don't yell at me if you hate it. The composer is American so you may have never heard it. Most of the best composers are European. The lyrics in this are pretty spooky to imagine... she's being lowered into hell.

edit: the singer is from Texas and I think this was filmed in Texas.

YouTube : Deep Down
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '18 05:27
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    Don't answer if it's too personal. But I'm curious. What would you imagine a parabolic hell to be like.

It is described both as "dark" and hot and fiery. If that's literal, it means hell can't be entirely fiery because of the darkness. I have never been able to grasp a true picture of hell in my mind.

Some people say the best depiction of hell ...[text shortened]... is from Texas and I think this was filmed in Texas.

[youtube Deep Down]NT9qMTX6c9k[/youtube]
    Do you think trivialising the discussion makes the topic somehow less abhorrent or more palatable?
  7. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    23 Jun '18 05:38
    Do you think trivialising the discussion makes the topic somehow less abhorrent or more palatable?
    Is that what I did? Because what I thought I did was amicably show an interest in what your idea of a parabolic hell would be like. I'm sorry for all the other. I guess I was too forward.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jun '18 08:032 edits

Why are you saying I do? Got any examples?
    "You’re ideology in this matter truly sickens me to me core"
    "What you think may be meaningless KellyJay but what I think is the very essence of me, myself, my being. And I think that your version of Jesus is a monster. I think that because of what YOU believe about him.

It’s YOUR horrible God, not mine."
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '18 08:522 edits
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    Is that what I did? Because what I thought I did was amicably show an interest in what your idea of a parabolic hell would be like. I'm sorry for all the other. I guess I was too forward.
    There’s no need to apologise, you’re not the first eternal suffering believer in these discussions over the years to try to jolly the subject along, when forced to confront with the absolute moral vacuum of the concept, the incongruence of it with the bulk of scripture and with the gospel and with Jesus himself, have tried to alleviate the awkwardness by adding some levity and lightheartedness to what is fundamentally religious terrorism of the highest order.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jun '18 08:54
    "You’re ideology in this matter truly sickens me to me core"
    "What you think may be meaningless KellyJay but what I think is the very essence of me, myself, my being. And I think that your version of Jesus is a monster. I think that because of what YOU believe about him.

It’s YOUR horrible God, not mine."
    Should I take that as a “no I haven’t got any examples of Other biblical characters depicting eternal suffering as real divegeester”...?
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jun '18 19:12
    Should I take that as a “no I haven’t got any examples of Other biblical characters depicting eternal suffering as real divegeester”...?
    No you should take as your turn to give biblically sound reasons to ignore clear text!
  12. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    23 Jun '18 23:07
    There’s no need to apologise, you’re not the first eternal suffering believer [b]
    Oh? Your premise is wrong. Should I even bother to read the rest?

...tried to alleviate the awkwardness by adding some levity and lightheartedness to what is fundamentally religious terrorism of the highest order.
    I did nothing of the kind. I asked for your input and gave some of my insights on the idea of hell. There was not even a shred of levity or lightheartedness in my comment whatsoever. And I see you didn't even respond--but instead dodged and assaulted my character. NOW who is avoiding the serious subject of hell. Not me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree