1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    15 Sep '17 16:30
    YouTube

Patton Oswalt. I saw it in a book I like, therefore it is real.
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Sep '17 17:41
    Originally posted by @apathist
    [youtube]6AjyopaiKqM[/youtube]

Patton Oswalt. I saw it in a book I like, therefore it is real.
    1 Cor 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
  3. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    15 Sep '17 20:40
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    1 Cor 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
    You should've added verse 19.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 Sep '17 21:561 edit
    Everyone puts faith into something unprovable.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Sep '17 23:12
    We're all crazy I tell ya! 😲
  6. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    16 Sep '17 13:46
    I think everything comes down to a balance of probability.Our present state of intellectual capability dictates that a belief in absolute fact is perhaps an unwise position to take.As and when new information becomes available,our view of existence should change?
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Sep '17 14:38
    Originally posted by @odbod
    I think everything comes down to a balance of probability.Our present state of intellectual capability dictates that a belief in absolute fact is perhaps an unwise position to take.As and when new information becomes available,our view of existence should change?
    I think you have a point, but what we are running into with faith with respect to God and
    the universe is this. We have from our perspective an endless universe, so our intellectual
    capability can only take in so much, so our views are ever changing. This will remain the
    case throughout all of time if we and the universe were all there were.

With God the limitless has a name, has a purpose, a plan, and has put together a design.
    He has even told us that He is a sure foundation, and compares what it is without Him as
    shifting sand, ever learning, but never coming to the knowledge. I think that describes
    what you just said, we would be forever aware that our views will always be changing.

When the limitless speaks to the limited, what should our response be?
  8. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    16 Sep '17 15:44
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    I think you have a point, but what we are running into with faith with respect to God and
    the universe is this. We have from our perspective an endless universe, so our intellectual
    capability can only take in so much, so our views are ever changing. This will remain the
    case throughout all of time if we and the universe were all there were.

With God ...[text shortened]... ll always be changing.

When the limitless speaks to the limited, what should our response be?
    Given that we both agree that our minds have limited capacity,our absolute belief in anything,including the existence of a god must have an element of doubt associated with it.It may well be the case that it is our lot to learn more yet never come to full understanding.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Sep '17 16:12
    Given that we both agree that our minds have limited capacity,our absolute belief in anything,including the existence of a god must have an element of doubt associated with it.It may well be the case that it is our lot to learn more yet never come to full understanding.
    I agree, which is where faith comes in.
  10. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    16 Sep '17 17:44
    Acknowledged under these circumstances, "faith" is merely lucky guessing. Not a good quality of faith I reckon. However

say I have a diamond in one of my closed palms and you trust me in full, because you know me quite well and you are quite sure I honor my word and I do not lie on you. In this case, you remain sceptical simply as regards whether I hold the diamond in my left or in my right palm. But, in case you neither know nor trust me, you may then choose to develop the "faith" that I really keep a diamond in one palm of mine. I 'm a hardcore atheist, but if I were a theist I would be quite sure that G-d is existent -because I would really know G-d coceptually and non-conceptually, and thus I would trust in G-d. The belief in G-d's existence must be one thousand per cent strong. You have to know and fell G-d deep down in order to believe, you have to inhale G-d and exhale G-d, otherwise it does not work my feer, dead in the ocean of deep ignorance you remain;
    😵
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Sep '17 19:31
    Originally posted by @black-beetle
    Acknowledged under these circumstances, "faith" is merely lucky guessing. Not a good quality of faith I reckon. However

say I have a diamond in one of my closed palms and you trust me in full, because you know me quite well and you are quite sure I honor my word and I do not lie on you. In this case, you remain sceptical simply as regards whether I ...[text shortened]... ale G-d, otherwise it does not work my feer, dead in the ocean of deep ignorance you remain;
    😵
    You realize God is not just a musing of man. Being our creator who when He was done molding us from the dust of the earth, breathed into us giving us life. The bound between us broken by our betrayal breaking faith with Him.

Not much about us is different now from then, we either seek and trust or not.
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Taken by aliens
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Sep '17 07:37
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    You realize God is not just a musing of man. Being our creator who when He was done molding us from the dust of the earth, breathed into us giving us life. The bound between us broken by our betrayal breaking faith with Him.

Not much about us is different now from then, we either seek and trust or not.
    If we take as a starting point that Adam and Eve were not meant to be taken literally (bearing in mind we evolved as a species) on what grounds did mankind break faith and betray God?

(You probably don't like my starting point).
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Sep '17 07:47
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    If we take as a starting point that Adam and Eve were not meant to be taken literally (bearing in mind we evolved as a species) on what grounds did mankind break faith and betray God?

What undeniable evidence do you have that contradicts the biblical account of creation?
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Taken by aliens
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Sep '17 08:12
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    What undeniable evidence do you have that contradicts the biblical account of creation?
    Did you miss the part where I referenced evolution? (Heavily evidenced). And we were discussing Adam and Eve, rather than creation itself.

What undeniable corroborating evidence do you have that the bible account of Adam and Eve is accurate?
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Sep '17 09:16
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke

I take them as literal, there are a lot of things you don't take literally in scripture and things
    you change the meanings of that I believe puts you in error. Such as suggesting that the
    OT God is different than the NT God.

Adam and Eve broke faith with God, when Adam and Eve didn't take God at His Word
    disobeying God. The consequence was now they were no longer the in the image of God,
    but became less than, sinners. They got one of the things they wanted, knowledge about
    good and evil, but at a cost we are still suffering.

I heard something the other day about that point in time, what gave them this knowledge?
    Was it something within the fruit that altered their DNA so that they knew good and evil,
    or was just because they disobeyed God, they knew evil by experiencing it, since that was
    not part of their life before, only good was. So the very act of disobeying God killed them
    by cutting them off of having a perfect relationship with God.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree