1. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Apr '10 08:521 edit
    I see no virtue in proselytising

please tell the forum what experience you have of proselytising? Indeed if you had witnessed how bible truth is helping others to mitigate suffering you would not have uttered such a statement so thoroughly devoid of reason. There are Arabs and Israelis who have transcended years of hatred and violence. There were Tutsi and Hutu who shielded each other from genocide, there are prostitutes, without hope being given a release, drug addicts over coming addiction, family's strewn apart by alcoholism being sewn back together. Indeed, it is of no surprise that you see no virtue in proselyting, for you know absolutely nothing of it, nor of its effects, which is self evident from your rather, well, ill conceived objection. The Bible is a very powerful tool for overcoming all sorts of suffering, but you wouldn't know that.

Your god is doing nothing.

Again another piece of nonsense, for the only reason that we are stepping forth as emissaries to help persons, is because of our God. You are obviously unaware that it was God who inspired the scriptures that we utilise to help persons overcome suffering, who gave the ordinances and instructions to help the adherent, that it was God who through his will, sent an example for us to imitate of which the world was not worthy of and of which he himself stated,'i do nothing of my own initiative, but just as the father has willed', Indeed by your denial of the divine element you can no more put the pieces of the jigsaw together so at to see the constituent parts and make a whole as if the pieces were round and ill fitting.

Again you're pushing the responsibility for faults of a collection of people onto all people

what are you talking about? the illustration was used for you once and all to realise that humans are responsible for their own actions. technology is a great thing, it can be used in the field of medical science to alleviate much suffering, but it can also be abused and made into weapons of warfare, as was illustrated, what this has got to do with the senseless and unfounded proposition that i 'push the responsibility for faults onto all people', is nothing more than a denial of fact, weapons kill, humans are responsible.

No, this is not true. The Amish who got shot to death on October 2, 2006 received no such protection.

Sorry what has being shot got to do with someone who is hungry? Was he in someone's field and got shot while gleaning for food? was he shot because he was starving? what are you talking about for the two biblical references were given with respect to food. The references that i gave were neither biased for we did not author the article, whether you disagree is neither here nor there, for we are interested in ascertaining truth and promulgating facts, not dicing with mere opinions, and those unfounded at that. The fact of the matter is, Biblical principles have helped countless thousands face ultimate tests to their faith and their integrity, even in the face of death. Persecutors were astounded, yes utterly astounded at the calm and bravery with which persons who faced death in the Nazi concentration camps conducted themselves, you may wish to contrast that with those without hope and devoid of reason.

The Bible has nothing to do with me looking both ways before I cross and does nothing to help, say, little children who get run over by an excessive speeder on a school road

Bumf, the Bible has everything to do with it. Why is the excessive speeder speeding? because he has ignored the laws of traffic regulation, in direct opposition to the Bibles ordinances that he should obey the secular authorities in this matter. Had he done so death could have been avoided. Secondly, it is understood that Children should not play between parked cars, therefore a wise parent shall take precautions to inculcate in their children respect for the sanctity of life as per the Bible instructs them to do. Thus in this specific case the dangers of traffic shall be highlighted.

how does your Bible stop those who care to start the warfare/torturing/massacring?

It does not claim to stop those who perpetrate these things, therefore is this not what is termed a 'straw man', argument, in effect arguing against values which we ourselves do not indeed hold? It does state that ultimately God shall remove those who are cruel and unjust. Never the less, if you do not engage in warfare are you more or less likely to be killed in war? If you do not engage in anti government activity, criminality or anything else that may lead to your incarceration and torture are you more or less likely to suffer under it? If you do not build your house upon the San Andreas fault are you more or less likely to suffer earthquakes?I do not deny that innocents are killed, indeed the Bible makes this quite plain,

(Ecclesiastes 9:11)  I returned to see under the sun that the swift do not have the race, nor the mighty ones the battle, nor do the wise also have the food, nor do the understanding ones also have the riches, nor do even those having knowledge have the favor; because time and unforeseen occurrence befall them all.

however right now persons are being taught to give up warfare (perhaps you would like to read of former soldiers, even former enemies who are now brothers to each other), to overcome national and cultural barriers, to embrace all as brothers and sisters, all because of the will of our God. This fact Agerg you cannot deny, the Bible is practical in helping persons overcome suffering and those practices associated with it, for it aims at the very core of what motivates a person, their inner personality and it is beautiful in our eyes for doing so. Please tell me what weapons you can form against love? You make yourself my enemy, i still love you? Indeed what greater motivational force is there than love?

Why does he remain inert?

he has not remained inert, far from it, as i have described in some detail. Suffering is caused because of greed, injustice exploitation. Does God not make it rain upon the righteous and unrighteous so that food is abundant? It is not his doing that on one side of the world persons are dying because of overeating and on the other persons are dying because of not having enough to eat. It is economics, greed and the mismanagement of the earth's resources that are to blame, in essence human governments and those who advocate them.

The question that you should really be asking is why he has permitted suffering.
  2. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    13 Apr '10 15:583 edits
    OMG!!! zerg rush!

I see no virtue in proselytising

please tell the forum what experience you have of proselytising? Indeed if you had witnessed how bible truth is helping others to mitigate suffering you would not have uttered such a statement so thoroughly devoid of reason. There are Arabs and Israelis who have transcended years of hatred and violence. There were Tutsi and Hutu who shielded each other from genocide, there are prostitutes, without hope being given a release, drug addicts over coming addiction, family's strewn apart by alcoholism being sewn back together. Indeed, it is of no surprise that you see no virtue in proselyting, for you know absolutely nothing of it, nor of its effects, which is self evident from your rather, well, ill conceived objection. The Bible is a very powerful tool for overcoming all sorts of suffering, but you wouldn't know that.

Your god is doing nothing.

Again another piece of nonsense, for the only reason that we are stepping forth as emissaries to help persons, is because of our God. You are obviously unaware that it was God who inspired the scriptures that we utilise to help persons overcome suffering, who gave the ordinances and instructions to help the adherent, that it was God who through his will, sent an example for us to imitate of which the world was not worthy of and of which he himself stated,'i do nothing of my own initiative, but just as the father has willed', Indeed by your denial of the divine element you can no more put the pieces of the jigsaw together so at to see the constituent parts and make a whole as if the pieces were round and ill fitting.

Again you're pushing the responsibility for faults of a collection of people onto all people

what are you talking about? the illustration was used for you once and all to realise that humans are responsible for their own actions. technology is a great thing, it can be used in the field of medical science to alleviate much suffering, but it can also be abused and made into weapons of warfare, as was illustrated, what this has got to do with the senseless and unfounded proposition that i 'push the responsibility for faults onto all people', is nothing more than a denial of fact, weapons kill, humans are responsible.

No, this is not true. The Amish who got shot to death on October 2, 2006 received no such protection.

Sorry what has being shot got to do with someone who is hungry? Was he in someone's field and got shot while gleaning for food? was he shot because he was starving? what are you talking about for the two biblical references were given with respect to food. The references that i gave were neither biased for we did not author the article, whether you disagree is neither here nor there, for we are interested in ascertaining truth and promulgating facts, not dicing with mere opinions, and those unfounded at that. The fact of the matter is, Biblical principles have helped countless thousands face ultimate tests to their faith and their integrity, even in the face of death. Persecutors were astounded, yes utterly astounded at the calm and bravery with which persons who faced death in the Nazi concentration camps conducted themselves, you may wish to contrast that with those without hope and devoid of reason.

The Bible has nothing to do with me looking both ways before I cross and does nothing to help, say, little children who get run over by an excessive speeder on a school road

Bumf, the Bible has everything to do with it. Why is the excessive speeder speeding? because he has ignored the laws of traffic regulation, in direct opposition to the Bibles ordinances that he should obey the secular authorities in this matter. Had he done so death could have been avoided. Secondly, it is understood that Children should not play between parked cars, therefore a wise parent shall take precautions to inculcate in their children respect for the sanctity of life as per the Bible instructs them to do. Thus in this specific case the dangers of traffic shall be highlighted.

how does your Bible stop those who care to start the warfare/torturing/massacring?

It does not claim to stop those who perpetrate these things, therefore is this not what is termed a 'straw man', argument, in effect arguing against values which we ourselves do not indeed hold? It does state that ultimately God shall remove those who are cruel and unjust. Never the less, if you do not engage in warfare are you more or less likely to be killed in war? If you do not engage in anti government activity, criminality or anything else that may lead to your incarceration and torture are you more or less likely to suffer under it? If you do not build your house upon the San Andreas fault are you more or less likely to suffer earthquakes?I do not deny that innocents are killed, indeed the Bible makes this quite plain,

(Ecclesiastes 9:11) I returned to see under the sun that the swift do not have the race, nor the mighty ones the battle, nor do the wise also have the food, nor do the understanding ones also have the riches, nor do even those having knowledge have the favor; because time and unforeseen occurrence befall them all.

however right now persons are being taught to give up warfare (perhaps you would like to read of former soldiers, even former enemies who are now brothers to each other), to overcome national and cultural barriers, to embrace all as brothers and sisters, all because of the will of our God. This fact Agerg you cannot deny, the Bible is practical in helping persons overcome suffering and those practices associated with it, for it aims at the very core of what motivates a person, their inner personality and it is beautiful in our eyes for doing so. Please tell me what weapons you can form against love? You make yourself my enemy, i still love you? Indeed what greater motivational force is there than love?

Why does he remain inert?

he has not remained inert, far from it, as i have described in some detail. Suffering is caused because of greed, injustice exploitation. Does God not make it rain upon the righteous and unrighteous so that food is abundant? It is not his doing that on one side of the world persons are dying because of overeating and on the other persons are dying because of not having enough to eat. It is economics, greed and the mismanagement of the earth's resources that are to blame, in essence human governments and those who advocate them.

The question that you should really be asking is why he has permitted suffering.

I made a special thread, with your name in it, for the bits I've missed out.

he has not remained inert, far from it, as i have described in some detail. Suffering is caused because of greed, injustice exploitation. Does God not make it rain upon the righteous and unrighteous so that food is abundant? It is not his doing that on one side of the world persons are dying because of overeating and on the other persons are dying because of not having enough to eat. It is economics, greed and the mismanagement of the earth's resources that are to blame, in essence human governments and those who advocate them
    You haven't explained, in any detail, what part your god plays (apart from "claims" that he is spurring you on behind the scenes when you engage in matters you can action a change) in eliminating the death/starvation/torture/rape/child molestation/etc.. that occurs behind closed doors or at the hands of those who will not be stopped by us humans (from whatever they're doing, whether it be practicing greed or massacring of other humans).

Here it is again (just so you are sure what my "prior" question was and don't confuse it with the creation of the world in six days or something):

Given that your god is powerful enough to prevent large scale suffering (like the children who have died as I write this post, mass starvation in Africa, oppressive regimes, rape/murder victims, child abuse, etc...) that we cannot (due, say, to those who would oppose us)...Why does he remain inert?

No.. no evangelising today please. I'd much rather you answered my prior question.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Apr '10 17:344 edits
    Originally posted by Agerg
    [b]OMG!!! zerg rush!

[quote]I see no virtue in proselytising

please tell the forum what experience you have of proselytising? Indeed if you had witnessed how bible truth is helping others to mitigate suffering you would not have uttered such a statement so thoroughly devoid of reason. There are Arabs and Israelis who have transcended years of evangelising today please. I'd much rather you answered my prior question.[/b]
    i have both answered it and will continue to answer it, its not my fault you deny the divine. My God can hardly be described as inert, considering he is sending emissaries to every part of the earth. Considering he has provided practical guidelines which if you ignore them will result in suffering. To prove this I suggest you try to ignore the laws of gravity, go to your house, climb upon the roof and jump off, as you descend at roughly ten metres per second you may contemplate why your refusal to accept natural laws has resulted in your suffering and make the correlation between this and why ignoring principles provided by God has also resulted in suffering. Indeed had you heeded the warnings of your family and friends you may have saved yourself much suffering. Will you claim that the natural law failed to mitigate your suffering despite your ignoring its pleadings? No, then why are you doing exactly the same thing with regard to God?
  4. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    13 Apr '10 17:581 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i have both answered it and will continue to answer it, its not my fault you deny the divine. My God can hardly be described as inert, considering he is sending emissaries to every part of the earth. Considering he has provided practical guidelines which if you ignore them will result in suffering. To prove this I suggest you try to ignore the law ...[text shortened]... once you hit the ground? No, then why are you doing exactly the same thing with regard to God?
    i have both answered it and will continue to answer it, its not my fault you deny the divine. My God can hardly be described as inert, considering he is sending emissaries to every part of the earth.
    Notice how I dealt with the latter part of your statement here (starting from "My God can..."😉 when I said: "...(apart from "claims" that he is spurring you on behind the scenes when you engage in matters you can action a change)..." As for the first part, read my last post again.

Considering he has provided practical guidelines which if you ignore them will result in suffering
    and even if you don't ignore them you might still suffer, horribly.

o prove this I suggest you try to ignore the laws of gravity, go to your house, climb upon the roof and jump off, as you [initially accelerate] at roughly ten metres per second you may contemplate why your refusal to accept natural laws has resulted in your suffering and make the correlation between this and why ignoring principles provided by God has also resulted in suffering.
    No claims are being made that natural laws have the power to put an end to starvation/genocide/rape/torture/child abuse/etc... other than the inescapable fact we shall all die at some point. Your response here doesn't work.

Indeed had you heeded the warnings of your family and friends you may have saved yourself much suffering. Indeed, had my friends and family (shown to exist by empirical means) said "don't jump" and I followed their advice you're correct; I might not get hurt. I don't quite see your point though.

Will you blame the natural law for remaining inert to mitigate your suffering once you hit the ground? No, then why are you doing exactly the same thing with regard to God?
    Again, no such claims are being made about natural laws as a re made for your god.

Try again Robbie 🙂
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Apr '10 18:012 edits
    [b]i have both answered it and will continue to answer it, its not my fault you deny the divine. My God can hardly be described as inert, considering he is sending emissaries to every part of the earth.
    Notice how I dealt with the latter part of your statement here (starting from "My God can..."😉 when I said: "...(apart from "claims" that he is spurring are being made about natural laws as a re made for your god.

Try again Robbie 🙂[/b]
    please see your other thread, which i think quite succinctly puts your point of view in somewhat jeopardy, for it strikes me as rather amusing to think that God should cause a cessation of natural laws every time a boulder falls from a cliff heading for the road, every time a bullet is fired heading for an innocent, every time someone gets lost on the mountains during a whiteout. Does it not strike you as rather amusing to state that he has remained inert during the whole time, that he should suspend natural laws for every violation? Indeed Agergs, what have you to say for yourself now that your point of view is put in perspective?
  6. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    13 Apr '10 18:281 edit
    please see your other thread, which i think quite succinctly puts your point of view in somewhat jeopardy, for it strikes me as rather amusing to think that God should cause a cessation of natural laws every time a boulder falls from a cliff heading for the road, every time a bullet is fired heading for an innocent, every time someone gets lost on th ...[text shortened]... eed Agergs, what have you to say for yourself now that your point of view is put in perspective?
    You're attacking strawmen...please continue to beat seven shades out of them in the other thread.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Apr '10 18:34
    You're attacking strawmen...please continue to beat seven shades out of them in the other thread.
    oh no indeed dear Agers, i shall even provide the references that you gave to substantiate your claims that God is inert.
  8. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    13 Apr '10 18:551 edit
    oh no indeed dear Agers, i shall even provide the references that you gave to substantiate your claims that God is inert.
    Please do (in the other thread please)...meanwhile I'll consider the idea of presenting to you a list of claims made by yourself (non-caracatured though...you're better at all that malarckey than me) which I hope will illuminate my points in the right context

🙂
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Apr '10 06:37
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You are still being very unclear and not resolving your basic contradiction.
    Either my parents religion has an impact on my choice of religion, or it doesn't. If it does, then it has an impact that cannot be ignored or denied (as you seem to want to do). If it doesn't, then how do you explain the fact that most people retain the religion of their parents?
    I said it does have an impact, everything does, but bottom line, all the
    impacts in the world do not stop anyone from making their own choices.
    Kelly
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Apr '10 10:17
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I said it does have an impact, everything does, but bottom line, all the
    impacts in the world do not stop anyone from making their own choices.
    Kelly
    Yet those two claims remain contradictory. You simply cannot hold both claims to be true without throwing logic and common sense out the window.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 05:35
    Yet those two claims remain contradictory. You simply cannot hold both claims to be true without throwing logic and common sense out the window.
    You must view human choices as on off switches or something, something
    that others can force people into turning on or off removing all free will from
    the equation.
    Kelly
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Apr '10 07:28
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    You must view human choices as on off switches or something, something
    that others can force people into turning on or off removing all free will from
    the equation.
    Kelly
    Did I say 'all free will'? No. Human choices can be partially or completely forced, and you yourself have admitted as such.
    You cannot claim both the existence of influence and complete freedom simultaneously. It is illogical.

An example:
    I wish to go for a walk. If it is raining, my choice will be influenced and I am less likely to go for a walk. When I finally make the choice whether or not to go for a walk, I cannot claim complete free will in the matter as the rain had a direct influence on my choice.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Apr '10 20:55
    Did I say 'all free will'? No. Human choices can be partially or completely forced, and you yourself have admitted as such.
    You cannot claim both the existence of influence and complete freedom simultaneously. It is illogical.

An example:
    I wish to go for a walk. If it is raining, my choice will be influenced and I am less likely to go for a walk. Wh ...[text shortened]... cannot claim complete free will in the matter as the rain had a direct influence on my choice.
    In the end if you choose to walk, even if the rain is there your choices
    over came whatever influence the dislike of walking in the rain presented
    you. The influence against or for; the fact you had to make a choice does
    not take away your choices it underscores you have both the ability to,
    and the power to choose.
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree