The worst sin.

The worst sin.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m

Moves
05 Aug 07

What would you consider the worst sin you could commit? Adultery? Stealing? Murder? You might be surprised by the answer the Bible gives.

The worst sin—and the one with the most far-reaching consequences—is this: to refuse to believe in Jesus Christ.

m

Moves
05 Aug 07

Originally posted by musicismyworld
What would you consider the worst sin you could commit? Adultery? Stealing? Murder? You might be surprised by the answer the Bible gives.

The worst sin—and the one with the most far-reaching consequences—is this: to refuse to believe in Jesus Christ.
Jesus taught that the Holy Spirit convicts guilty men and women of sin "because they do not believe in Me." (John 16:9) On that final day, it will not so much be the sin question as it will be the Son question. All sins can be dealt with and forgiven if we believe in Jesus.

T

Moves
05 Aug 07
2 edits

[Originally posted by musicismyworld

What do you think it means to "believe in Jesus"?

V

Earth

Moves
05 Aug 07

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
What does it mean to "believe in Jesus"?
I think my Christian friends think believing in Jesus is permission to sin. It is a free ticket to heaven which you do not have to earn. It is a get out of jail card, because after all we are all sinners, but those who believe in Jesus are forgiven. He died for our sins. He paid the penalty for it, and now all we have to do is believe. Get it?

Repent and sin all you want, or is it repent and sin no more? I get confused. 😀

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
05 Aug 07

Originally posted by Varqa
...my Christian friends think believing in Jesus is permission to sin....
Just food for thought...

At one point in one of his epistles, Paul addressed this issue. I do not remember the exact passage, but he in a sense said that with faith in Him, God always forgives our sins, unconditionally. He admits that some abuse this grace constantly, but God still forgives them. Nonetheless, Paul discourages such abuse, saying that 1) there are obvious "Earthly" consequences for sinning, and 2) the relationship (not God's love, which is unconditional, just the spiritual relationship) between God and those who continually sin would not be as strong as those who strived for good works.

R
Saved by grace.

State of Denial.

Moves
05 Aug 07

Believing in Jesus also means trying to emulate the way he lived , which was a sinless life. Something that mere humans cannot do. With the help of the Holy Spirit we try and fail, and try again and get a little better, sin a little less. That is what God wants, God wants us to strive to be better.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
05 Aug 07

Originally posted by musicismyworld
Jesus taught that the Holy Spirit convicts guilty men and women of sin "because they do not believe in Me." (John 16:9) On that final day, it will not so much be the sin question as it will be the Son question. All sins can be dealt with and forgiven if we believe in Jesus.
What do you think is meant by 'believe in me' ? Saying with your MOUTH that you believe or DOING the commandments of Christ?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
05 Aug 07

I think my Christian friends think believing in Jesus is permission to sin. It is a free ticket to heaven which you do not have to earn. It is a get out of jail card, because after all we are all sinners, but those who believe in Jesus are forgiven. He died for our sins. He paid the penalty for it, and now all we have to do is believe. Get it?

A small portion of Christians believe that. Most Christians know that you have to work to get salvation.

w

Moves
05 Aug 07

Originally posted by Rajk999
A small portion of Christians believe that. Most Christians know that you have to work to get salvation.
What work and how much of it? How do I meet my quota?

V

Earth

Moves
05 Aug 07

Originally posted by whodey
What work and how much of it? How do I meet my quota?
Exactly. The quota for sin is much easier to understand. It is also much more fun.

w

Moves
05 Aug 07
1 edit

Exactly. The quota for sin is much easier to understand. It is also much more fun.
Would you please elaborate? I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

V

Earth

Moves
05 Aug 07

Would you please elaborate? I have no idea what you are trying to say here.
There is nothing I can say, really.
Your Bible has a couple of verses in it: We have all sinned and fallen..., and For God so loved the world that He.... Everything else that is in the Book, including the words of Jesus, do not apply to you. They are either meant for the Jews or they were spoken before Jesus died on the cross. So there is nothing to discuss. Your mind is closed, locked, and the key is missing.

w

Moves
05 Aug 07

There is nothing I can say, really.
Your Bible has a couple of verses in it: We have all sinned and fallen..., and For God so loved the world that He.... Everything else that is in the Book, including the words of Jesus, do not apply to you. They are either meant for the Jews or they were spoken before Jesus died on the cross. So there is nothing to discuss. Your mind is closed, locked, and the key is missing.
The Bible is very clear as to what God expects throughout the Old and New Testament. What he expects is FAITH!!! For example, God could have cared less how many good works Abraham did or did not do. All he cared about was that Abraham believed what he said and did what he said to do. Doing this Abraham then did good works by default because he was taking instructions from a good God.

V

Earth

Moves
05 Aug 07

The Bible is very clear as to what God expects throughout the Old and New Testament. What he expects is FAITH!!! For example, God could have cared less how many good works Abraham did or did not do. All he cared about was that Abraham believed what he said and did what he said to do. Doing this Abraham then did good works by default because he was taking instructions from a good God.
In that case, the suicide bombers have more FAITH than all of us put together.

P

Moves
05 Aug 07
1 edit

The first words spoken by Christ when he began his ministry on earth were:
"...REPENT and believe the gospel."