1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Aug '07 21:23
    This one is told by Paul Harvey....

One favourite story is about West Side Baptist Church in Beatrice, Nebraska. Normally all of the good choir people came to church on Wednesday night to practise, and they tended to be early, well before the 7:30 starting time. But one night, 1 March 1950, one by one, two by two, they all had excuses for being late. Marilyn, the church pianist, overslept on her after-dinner nap, so she and her mother arrived late. One girl, a high school sophomore, was having trouble with her homework. That delayed her, so she was late. One couple couldn't get their car started. They, and those they were to pick up, were consequently late. All eighteen choir members, including the pastor and his wife, were late. All had good excuses.

At 7:30, the time the choir rehearsal was to begin, not a soul was in the choir loft. This had never happened before. But that night, the only one in the history of the church that the choir wasn't starting to practise at 7:30, was the night that there was a gas leak in the basement of the West Side Baptist Church. At precisely the time at which the choir would have been singing, the church furnace ignited the gas leak and the whole church blew up! The furnace room was right below the choir loft!

Some might call it a fluke but it sounds more like providential care. God has a wonderful habit of being there for us, of protecting us when our hearts are right and our desire is to follow him. Oh yes, sometimes things go amiss but even then he works good out of it. He's still 'good -all the time!' And if he's blessed you this week why not share it with your church friends and others. You'll encourage and bless others and God will get the glory.
  2. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    06 Aug '07 21:57
    Originally posted by checkbaiter

One favourite story is about West Side Baptist Church in Beatrice, Nebraska. Normally all of the good choir people came to church on Wednesday night to practise, and they tended to be early, well before the 7:30 starting time. But one night, 1 March 1950, one by one, two by two, they all had excuses for being late. ...[text shortened]... church friends and others. You'll encourage and bless others and God will get the glory.
    Thought do tiny bit of Googling on thins, since the church was actually named...

http://www.snopes.com/luck/choir.asp
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrice,_Nebraska

All the links I've found seem to agree that the story is true. Interestingly though, the Treasury of Christmas Miracles puts the event in "one December night" where all the others put it on March 1st. I suppose they would not have been able to put it in the book if they had told the truth!

--- Penguin.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Aug '07 00:32
    Originally posted by Penguin
    Thought do tiny bit of Googling on thins, since the church was actually named...

http://www.snopes.com/luck/choir.asp
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrice,_Nebraska

All the links I've found seem to agree that the story is true. Interestingly though, the Treasury of Christmas Miracles puts the event in "one December night" where all the others put it ...[text shortened]... ey would not have been able to put it in the book if they had told the truth!

--- Penguin.
    I heard it on the radio, but Paul Harvey told it better than the text version....
  4. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    07 Aug '07 04:30
    i'm trying to figure out why god blew up the church. the building must have been evil, do you think? who paid for the repairs? i guess everyone who died on the bridge in minneapolis was targeted by god. did they deserve what they got? is it possible that amazing coincidences that seem to defy the odds actually do occur? why are these types of events so rare if god is out there actually playing hide and seek with us?
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Aug '07 05:103 edits

One favourite story is about West Side Baptist Church in Beatrice, Nebraska. Normally all of the good choir people came to church on Wednesday night to practise, and they tended to be early, well before the 7:30 starting time. But one night, 1 March 1950, one by one, two by two, they all had excuses for being late. church friends and others. You'll encourage and bless others and God will get the glory.
    A couple of years after we left Illinois someone bombed the church
    building we use to attend. I helped build the building after the one
    that was being used became too small, my wife and I were married
    there, and we buried our first born there after she lost her life due to
    a heart defect. The people there were and still are some of the most
    precious people I have ever been honored to know, in the ways they
    cared for people inside and outside of that First Assembly of God
    fellowship.

In Central Illinois the Danville area someone was bombing churches, I
    believe up till the Assembly was bombed the person had been
    responsible for I think just one death mainly because he bombed
    them not during times there were services taking place. He changed
    his pattern the day he bombed the Assembly, he did it during a
    service. The hole that was created was large enough to drive a small
    car through. He placed the bomb along side the building, on the other
    side the wall was were the vast majority of the kids typically sat
    together.

That day for some reason many of the people who sat by that wall
    didn’t, many of the kids said they just felt like sitting next to there
    parents, so when the bomb went off hardly no one was in the area.
    One of our best friends daughter received shrapnel in her leg and
    others were injured but none killed. She was the one that told us that
    many of the kids said that day that they just wanted to sit in other
    places than normal.

The bomber wasn’t caught; however, a short time later some guy died
    in an explosion when his garage blew up, it appeared he was working
    on some explosive devices. I don’t think I have heard of any other
    church bombings in that area since then.
    Kelly
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Aug '07 05:17
    Originally posted by coquette
    i'm trying to figure out why god blew up the church. the building must have been evil, do you think? who paid for the repairs? i guess everyone who died on the bridge in minneapolis was targeted by god. did they deserve what they got? is it possible that amazing coincidences that seem to defy the odds actually do occur? why are these types of events so rare if god is out there actually playing hide and seek with us?
    Stuff happens, it just does, and there is nothing evil about gas leak,
    and nothing evil about a bridge wearing out either, if that was what
    occured. Things wear out, they break down, and if you happen to be
    there when it does, the results can be something most of us want to
    avoid.
    Kelly
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Aug '07 06:46
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    avoid.
    Kelly
    But the fact remains that it would make just as much sense for God to have simply stopped the Gas leak instead of the whole effort to make everybody late. Also they would not have a church to fix. Clearly if the story is true then God had some other purpose other than simply saving lives. I personally think that the story is not entirely true. People always elaborate with stories of that nature and even more so when they think that there is some meaning involved.
  8. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    07 Aug '07 07:19

One favourite story is about West Side Baptist Church in Beatrice, Nebraska. Normally all of the good choir people came to church on Wednesday night to practise, and they tended to be early, well before the 7:30 starting time. But one night, 1 March 1950, one by one, two by two, they all had excuses for being late. ...[text shortened]... church friends and others. You'll encourage and bless others and God will get the glory.
    they probably all wanted a better church and had insurance so they burnt it down and all had good excuses to tell the police why nobody was there
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Aug '07 09:24
    Why is God always blamed for all the evil in the world and Satan always gets a free pass. He is rarely even mentioned. What is his job anyway?

John 10:10
    10 "The thief(Satan) does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.
    (NKJ)
  10. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Aug '07 09:30
    Why is God always blamed for all the evil in the world and Satan always gets a free pass. He is rarely even mentioned. What is his job anyway?

John 10:10
    10 "The thief(Satan) does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.
    (NKJ)
    well god did create satan so god's kinda still to blame
  11. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Aug '07 09:31
    avoid.
    Kelly
    are you hot?
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Aug '07 09:36
    Stuff happens, it just does
    Are these things not planned for by God? Is he unable to prevent them or does he choose not to (to our detriment)? If they are essentially uncaused doesn't that destroy the First Cause argument?
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Aug '07 16:15
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    well god did create satan so god's kinda still to blame
    If your son kills, are you to blame?
  14. Gangster Land
    Moves
    07 Aug '07 16:54
    If your son kills, are you to blame?
    Point me to an omni-everything parent and your argument might make sense.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Aug '07 17:00
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    But the fact remains that it would make just as much sense for God to have simply stopped the Gas leak instead of the whole effort to make everybody late. Also they would not have a church to fix. Clearly if the story is true then God had some other purpose other than simply saving lives. I personally think that the story is not entirely true. People alwa ...[text shortened]... ith stories of that nature and even more so when they think that there is some meaning involved.
    The universe is simply playing out by following the laws set in place
    to govern it. Wearing down,decay, chemical reactions and so on
    are part of the universal picture we find outselves in you would have
    God change them?
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree