Truth- Absolute or Relative?

Truth- Absolute or Relative?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
02 Sep 19

@fmf said
My replies are not disingenuous or deflective and do not denote a "deep-seated fear of confrontation with rational and logical discourse". So he is mistaken.
If truth is relative how can anyone be mistaken?

F

Moves
02 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
He misunderstood my mood and my motivation. Or misrepresented it as a debating tactic. Most likely the latter. It's got nothing whatsoever to do with your subjective notion of "absolute truth". If your notion of "absolute truth" makes you think that he is not mistaken, or that it is me who's mistaken, that's for you. You are entitled to your personal opinion.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
02 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
It is odd how someone who can claim truth is relative also make absolute claims about the motivations of others, even twisting words they used in other words so they can justify their claims. Truth is real, or it is not the truth, and those who charge others with anything are making truth claims that are not relative but absolute.

How many times have we seen people's motivations gone after and questioned if it is all relative who would care? How many times do the voices of the relative believers of the day choose to declare the absolute truth about others?

F

Moves
02 Sep 19

@kellyjay said
It is odd how someone who can claim truth is relative also make absolute claims about the motivations of others, even twisting words they used in other words so they can justify their claims.
I am not making any "absolute claims". I am listening to people like you sharing your subjective personal opinions and, in return, I am sharing my subjective personal opinions.

F

Moves
02 Sep 19

@kellyjay said
How many times have we seen people's motivations gone after and questioned if it is all relative who would care? How many times do the voices of the relative believers of the day choose to declare the absolute truth about others?
dj2becker thinks that I can't say that SecondSon was mistaken in what he said a few pages ago. If you think I am the one who was mistaken, and if you and dj2becker think you are somehow able to say that because you believe in "absolute truth", you've got to realize that you're both way, way into self-parody territory.

F

Moves
02 Sep 19

@kellyjay said
It is odd how someone who can claim truth is relative also make absolute claims about the motivations of others, even twisting words they used in other words so they can justify their claims.
I haven't "twisted" anyone's words.

Moves
02 Sep 19

@fmf said
Your claims about what is and isn't "aligned with the truth" when it comes to things like supernatural causality - which are impervious to empirical scrutiny - are purely in the realm of subjectivity.
And yet you can’t know that subjective claims as you call them cannot be aligned with truth can you?

Moves
02 Sep 19

@fmf said
He misunderstood my mood and my motivation. Or misrepresented it as a debating tactic. Most likely the latter. It's got nothing whatsoever to do with your subjective notion of "absolute truth". If your notion of "absolute truth" makes you think that he is not mistaken, or that it is me who's mistaken, that's for you. You are entitled to your personal opinion.
I’m not commenting on whether i think someone is mistaken or not, I am simply asking you to explain how it is possible for anyone to be mistaken about anything within a framework where no absolute truth exists.

F

Moves
02 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
And yet you can’t know that subjective claims as you call them cannot be aligned with truth can you?
The "truth" about what?

Are your opinions about the exchange between me and SecondSon somehow "aligned with truth"?

Is that really what you trying to riff on here?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
02 Sep 19
1 edit

@dj2becker said
A truth claim means it is a matter of reality; even denying something done is an absolute truth claim, suggesting something could be true is not making a truth claim, it is a possibility claim. The distinctions are enormous, each of us as soon as we declare something as true we destroy the notion it is all relative.

F

Moves
02 Sep 19

@dj2becker said
I’m not commenting on whether i think someone is mistaken or not, I am simply asking you to explain how it is possible for anyone to be mistaken about anything within a framework where no absolute truth exists.
Your notion about "absolute truth" is your personal subjective perspective. It's got nothing to do with SecondSon's mistake and/or disingenuousness.

F

Moves
02 Sep 19
1 edit

@kellyjay said
A truth claim means it is a matter of reality; even denying something done is an absolute truth claim, suggesting something could be true is not making a truth claim, it is a possibility claim. The distinctions are enormous, each of us as soon as we declare something as true we destroy the notion it is all relative.
And yet, despite all this windy rhetoric, all you are doing here is sharing your personal opinions about spiritual matters rooted in your specuation about supernatural causality.

F

Moves
02 Sep 19

@kellyjay said
The distinctions are enormous, each of us as soon as we declare something as true we destroy the notion it is all relative.
I can assure you, you don't "destroy" anything when you "declare something as true". You have a hugely puffed up view of your personal opinions on spiritual matters.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
02 Sep 19
1 edit

@dj2becker said
All you really have to do with such statements is ask, "Is that true, or your opinion?"

Moves
02 Sep 19

@fmf said
The "truth" about what?

Are your opinions about the exchange between me and SecondSon somehow "aligned with truth"?

Is that really what you trying to riff on here?
I think you have misread the situation. I’m talking about the truth about supernatural things.