1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 13:09
    @dj2becker said
    Well if that is all you believe the Bible to be it certainly sheds light upon why you say the things you do on this forum.
    Again, if you respond to what I actually wrote instead of repeatedly creating strawmen to attack, then I and others here might be able to tolerate you a little more.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 13:10
    @dj2becker said
    Not in the least. I was just spot on with my prediction.
    Yes you were spot on saying that I will accuse you of trolling as you know and I know that you are. So it’s hardly difficult for you to throw it out there and then claim it as a little win.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 13:13
    @fmf said
    I believe Jerusalem existed. I believe the region where the Jews lived was in the Roman Empire. Etcetera. Meanwhile, I believe all the mythological stuff in the Bible about supernatural matters ~ along with all religious beliefs attendant thereto ~ is conjecture and speculation and superstition.
    As a historical text the Bible is unparalleled. You are obviously entitled to ignore this fact.
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 13:13
    @divegeester said
    Yes you were spot on saying that I will accuse you of trolling as you know and I know that you are. So it’s hardly difficult for you to throw it out there and then claim it as a little win.
    And you dodged the question as well.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 13:15
    @dj2becker said
    And you dodged the question as well.
    As you did my reply.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 13:18
    @divegeester said
    Again, if you respond to what I actually wrote instead of repeatedly creating strawmen to attack, then I and others here might be able to tolerate you a little more.
    My question was in direct response to what you wrote but I understand perfectly well why you would deflect from it.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 13:45
    @dj2becker said
    The Bible is based on factual events that are corroborated by other sources as well. Discovery after discovery has established the accuracy of numerous details.
    If everything they say is relative to them and everyone else, then that is either true or not. Can it be true, or does it fall apart as a self contradicting statement? If true than its true for everyone making it a absolute statement that is true for everyone, if its not true they are wrong and that is a false statement.

Truth, all truth, is not going to contradict itself, we are not going to see a square circle, or a bent straight line, things are what they are and they will be for everyone. If the line gets bent it is no longer straight, thus truth always corresponds to its reference.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 14:02
    @kellyjay said
    If true than its true for everyone making it a absolute statement that is true for everyone, if its not true they are wrong and that is a false statement.
    Then you recognize that your belief that Jesus rose from the dead may be right and it may be wrong?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 14:04
    @kellyjay said
    Truth, all truth, is not going to contradict itself, we are not going to see a square circle, or a bent straight line, things are what they are and they will be for everyone. If the line gets bent it is no longer straight, thus truth always corresponds to its reference.
    What you assert as being the "truth" about supernatural things is subjective and a matter of personal faith for you; do we agree about that?
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 14:04
    @kellyjay said
    If everything they say is relative to them and everyone else, then that is either true or not. Can it be true, or does it fall apart as a self contradicting statement? If true than its true for everyone making it a absolute statement that is true for everyone, if its not true they are wrong and that is a false statement.

Truth, all truth, is not going to contradict itsel ...[text shortened]... one. If the line gets bent it is no longer straight, thus truth always corresponds to its reference.
    “Relativism reduces every element of absoluteness to relativity while making a completely illogical exception in favor of this reduction itself. Fundamentally it consists in propounding the claim that there is no truth as if this were truth or in declaring it to be absolutely true that there is nothing but the relatively true; one might just as well say that there is no language or write that there is no writing. In short, every idea is reduced to a relativity of some sort, whether psychological, historical, or social; but the assertion nullifies itself by the fact that it too presents itself as a psychological, historical, or social relativity. The assertion nullifies itself if it is true and by nullifying itself logically proves thereby that it is false; its initial absurdity lies in the implicit claim to be unique in escaping, as if by enchantment, from a relativity that is declared to be the only possibility.”

-Frithjof Schuon, Logic and Transcendence
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 14:081 edit
    @FMF

Meanwhile, I believe all the mythological stuff in the Bible about supernatural matters ~ along with all religious beliefs attendant thereto ~ is conjecture and speculation and superstition.

In a book which you believe is so totally given to superstition, how is it that there is so much space given to the CONTRAST between what is recorded as truth and superstition?

How could this discrimination exist so keenly if the authors were so totally ignorant of the superstitious nature of everything they wrote about?

Just one example, Paul warning the Colossians not to be led astray by visions of angels or puffed up by sensational laden imaginative people.

"Let no one defraud you by judging you unworthy of your prize, in ... the worship of angels, dwelling on things which he has seen, vainly puffed up by his mind set on the flesh." (Col. 2:18)

How come he didn't have more of this tone?

"Hey, the more visions the better. Angels, demons, gods, this and that. Its all good people! Follow after all those strange things as well."
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 14:14
    @kellyjay said
    If everything they say is relative to them and everyone else, then that is either true or not.
    If you say everything is "absolute" to you, so what?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 14:16
    @sonship said
    In a book which you believe is so totally given to superstition, how is it that there is so much space given to the CONTRAST between what is recorded as truth and superstition?
    "Recorded as truth?"
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 14:18
    @dj2becker said
    My question was in direct response to what you wrote but I understand perfectly well why you would deflect from it.
    You question was a weak straw man. You should look up “Strawman argument” online.

This is why I don’t engage with you Daniel, other than you adding no value or substance whatsoever, you are a dishonest one trick pony-troll.

Stroll on matey.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '19 14:22
    @dj2becker said
    “Relativism reduces every element of absoluteness to relativity while making a completely illogical exception in favor of this reduction itself. Fundamentally it consists in propounding the claim that there is no truth as if this were truth or in declaring it to be absolutely true that there is nothing but the relatively true; one might just as well say that there is no lan ...[text shortened]... elativity that is declared to be the only possibility.”

-Frithjof Schuon, Logic and Transcendence
    There is nothing stopping you from going around declaring your personal opinions about supernatural things to be absolutely true.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree