1. PenTesting
    Moves
    04 Nov '09 11:38
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    So Could I please ask you: Where do you draw the line? What about leather and fur? Would you draw the line at just eating meat or also using it for fashion,etc.?
    I think 'eat to live' rather than 'live to eat' is a good principle to follow.
    Killing animals for fur when there are alternatives is vanity of the worse kind.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 06:47
    So Could I please ask you: Where do you draw the line? What about leather and fur? Would you draw the line at just eating meat or also using it for fashion,etc.?
    It all depends on how much credit you give to the various arguments. As I have already stated:
    1. The 'bad for the environment' argument only holds in some countries. Moderation would be a good solution in first world nations, though you may wish to go further to counteract your fellow guzzlers. It is similar to fossil fuel use. You can choose a higher millage car, you can buy electric or you can walk. Its a personal choice.
    2. The moral argument too has different implications depending on the farming practices and on how far you wish to take it. As I pointed out earlier, if you take it to the extreme, we should be going around wiping out predators.

Even people who only eat fruit do not have zero impact on either the environment or animals quality of life.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 Nov '09 04:40
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It all depends on how much credit you give to the various arguments. As I have already stated:
    1. The 'bad for the environment' argument only holds in some countries. Moderation would be a good solution in first world nations, though you may wish to go further to counteract your fellow guzzlers. It is similar to fossil fuel use. You can choose a higher m ...[text shortened]... o only eat fruit do not have zero impact on either the environment or animals quality of life.
    Alright then. Just the question of fashion. Would you allow animals to be killed for fur?, (If you were ruler🙂 )
  4. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 10:16
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends."

George Bernard Shaw
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 10:26
    Alright then. Just the question of fashion. Would you allow animals to be killed for fur?, (If you were ruler🙂 )
    I personally would probably not wear fur, but unless I stop eating meat I can hardly tell anyone else to stop wearing fur. I am however strongly opposed to furs that come from endangered species.
  6. Joined
    13 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 10:45
    Why do people talk about fur? What about leather? would you wear leather shoes? It all comes from dead animals ya know. Animals are bread and farmed for leather. These are different animals to animals farmed for meat, but somehow leather is ok but fur isn't?
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 15:15
    Originally posted by twiceaknight
    Why do people talk about fur? What about leather? would you wear leather shoes? It all comes from dead animals ya know. Animals are bread and farmed for leather. These are different animals to animals farmed for meat, but somehow leather is ok but fur isn't?
    I just suppose its because of the ridicoulosly expensive furs that seem to bring it in the spotlight. I mean really , how damage can you do with purchasing one item of clothing? The mind boggles. The aborigines would think they were looking at some sort of alien race with some of those furs some people like to call "fashion".
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Nov '09 15:19
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I personally would probably not wear fur, but unless I stop eating meat I can hardly tell anyone else to stop wearing fur. I am however strongly opposed to furs that come from endangered species.
    Well now thats the thing isn't it. You can't tell anyone to do anything. You can only bring up issues, facts and different points of view and set an example and hope others follow it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree