1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91563
    20 Oct '09 11:44
    I'm ashamed to admit TO MYSELF that I am not a strict vegetarian.(please note:this thread is not intended judge meat-eaters nor to try to convert people to vegetarianism.)
    I do not buy meat, so in my dodgy reasoning I conclude that I am not contributing to the meat business. however when offered meat,or asked for it to be bought by my children, I eat it. Any meat. I eat anything.
    2 examples:
    a) I have an aquaintance who has refused meat from the age of roughly 3and a half. She refused to eat it even though her parents were very insitent on her eating what the rest of the 5 person family was eating-which usually included meat every night.They even tried to cut it up into small pieces and hide it in her veggies. She would not have a bar of it She refused to eat it through the rest of her childhood and to this day. She is currently 34.
    b) I know another female who became a vegetarian after 35 years of eating meat,(I suspect) after a 'spiritual awakening'. (my mother had a similar 'awakening' with cigarrette smoking.)

    My general point being that vegetarianism is often linked to spirituality(especially in eastern religons like hinduism and bhuddism), BUT NOT ALWAYS
    What do you guys and gals think?
  2. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    20 Oct '09 11:54
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I'm ashamed to admit TO MYSELF that I am not a strict vegetarian.(please note:this thread is not intended judge meat-eaters nor to try to convert people to vegetarianism.)
    I do not buy meat, so in my dodgy reasoning I conclude that I am not contributing to the meat business. however when offered meat,or asked for it to be bought by my children, I eat i ...[text shortened]... tern religons like hinduism and bhuddism), BUT NOT ALWAYS
    What do you guys and gals think?
    i am a vegetarian and do not really like meat to be quite honest. i became one after reading a book given to me by a Hari Krishna, who wanted a donation, so i gave him one and received a book. i stopped short of the DVD. when one considers it, how much flavour does meat really have? you can in almost every circumstance get as tasty, or an even tastier equivalent. i have no problem if others want to eat cows bums, or pigs legs, or chickens thighs, but its not for me.

    in a spiritual context, it is evident that Adam and Eve were vegetarians, and it was not until after the flood, that God permitted humans to eat animals. As the bible promises that animals and humans will one day live harmoniously together, it seems likely, although i admit that it is pure speculation, that we shall also return to that state.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91563
    20 Oct '09 12:041 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i am a vegetarian and do not really like meat to be quite honest. i became one after reading a book given to me by a Hari Krishna, who wanted a donation, so i gave him one and received a book. i stopped short of the DVD. when one considers it, how much flavour does meat really have? you can in almost every circumstance get as tasty, or an even ta ...[text shortened]... s likely, although i admit that it is pure speculation, that we shall also return to that state.
    Yes Robbie, and also i forgot to add that if one is going to eat meat it should be more in a 'natural' way. Meaning that the nature of capitalism makes animals that get used for meat products get treated very poorly, with very undignified lives.
    If one is to eat meat they should eat meat that has had a happy life-or better yet kill it themselves- nothing beats that kind of freshness!
  4. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    20 Oct '09 13:01
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Yes Robbie, and also i forgot to add that if one is going to eat meat it should be more in a 'natural' way. Meaning that the nature of capitalism makes animals that get used for meat products get treated very poorly, with very undignified lives.
    If one is to eat meat they should eat meat that has had a happy life-or better yet kill it themselves- nothing beats that kind of freshness!
    it seems your motivation Karoly is the exploitation of animals through things like poultry farms etc etc in which animals are kept for the sole purpose of fattening and slaughtering. I myself cannot abide cruelty to animals and have almost given up fishing because i do not like the taste of Salmon or Sea trout (not that ive ever caught any), or even fresh water rainbow or brown trout. Sometimes what happens is that the fish may damage itself irreparably in an effort to evade capture, which i dont like. I have toyed with the idea of using barbless hooks, so that they can be easily extracted, but even then, if the fish has swallowed every thing hook line and sinker, well....

    i think your point is very valid, in that if we are not prepared to eat the thing, then why should we kill it?
  5. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    21 Oct '09 01:17
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i am a vegetarian and do not really like meat to be quite honest. i became one after reading a book given to me by a Hari Krishna, who wanted a donation, so i gave him one and received a book. i stopped short of the DVD. when one considers it, how much flavour does meat really have? you can in almost every circumstance get as tasty, or an even ta ...[text shortened]... s likely, although i admit that it is pure speculation, that we shall also return to that state.
    Amino acids.

    The body needs certain amino acids that can only be found in meat.

    www.wisetraditions.com
  6. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Joined
    03 Apr '03
    Moves
    140169
    21 Oct '09 04:24
    I eat meat but I wonder how healthy it is for me. I've heard that our intestinal tract is not really like a carnivores that it's too long. Our teeth too were meant to eat fruits and vegetables not rip apart meat like carnivores can. Sometimes I will eat meat & feel sick! Sometimes though a steak cooked right is very good.




    Manny
  7. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Joined
    14 Jun '02
    Moves
    17381
    21 Oct '09 04:52
    Originally posted by josephw
    Amino acids.

    The body needs certain amino acids that can only be found in meat.

    www.wisetraditions.com
    This is false. First, the essential amino acids a present in dairy, so vegetarians who eat milk, cheese, eggs, etc. need not worry about missing any of these building blocks for protein. Second, even vegans need not worry about the essential amino acids if their diet is varied. The problem is that single plant sources don't, on their own, contain all the essential amino acids. But they do in combination. So, with regard to nutrition, it is actually easy to be a vegetarian; as easy as it is to eat meat. Being a vegan is more research intensive, but that may be a small price to pay in order to opt out of cruel and exploitative dietary practices.
  8. Joined
    19 Sep '04
    Moves
    5014
    21 Oct '09 05:32
    Most often, I use small amounts of meat to give substantial flavor to large amounts of vegetables in preparing meals out of habit and necessity. Nothing spiritual about it. Less is more, sometimes.
  9. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    21 Oct '09 08:36
    Originally posted by bbarr
    This is false. First, the essential amino acids a present in dairy, so vegetarians who eat milk, cheese, eggs, etc. need not worry about missing any of these building blocks for protein. Second, even vegans need not worry about the essential amino acids if their diet is varied. The problem is that single plant sources don't, on their own, contain all the es ...[text shortened]... at may be a small price to pay in order to opt out of cruel and exploitative dietary practices.
    Of course I'm not absolutely certain that essential amino acids can't be found in other dairy products or by combining a number of different legumes. I've read it both ways. I wish I could find a definitive reliable source of information. This has bugged me for 3 decades.

    Truth is, when I eat just fruits and vegetables I seem to feel better, and as menace said above, meat is slow to digest.
  10. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    21 Oct '09 11:06
    Originally posted by menace71
    I eat meat but I wonder how healthy it is for me. I've heard that our intestinal tract is not really like a carnivores that it's too long. Our teeth too were meant to eat fruits and vegetables not rip apart meat like carnivores can. Sometimes I will eat meat & feel sick! Sometimes though a steak cooked right is very good.




    Manny
    this happened to me as well, i used to eat meat and feel real sick! Actually Manny you have expressed many of the same ideas as was in that Hari Krishna book, 'a higher taste', i think it was called, although its a long time ago now.
  11. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Joined
    24 Sep '02
    Moves
    96652
    21 Oct '09 11:16
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I'm ashamed to admit TO MYSELF that I am not a strict vegetarian.(please note:this thread is not intended judge meat-eaters nor to try to convert people to vegetarianism.)
    I do not buy meat, so in my dodgy reasoning I conclude that I am not contributing to the meat business. however when offered meat,or asked for it to be bought by my children, I eat i ...[text shortened]... tern religons like hinduism and bhuddism), BUT NOT ALWAYS
    What do you guys and gals think?
    Not eating meat is the clean way to eat. Dead animals finding a final resting place in my stomach is not a charming idea. If everyone had to kill, and butcher all the meat they ate, a lot more people would be vegetarian.
  12. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    21 Oct '09 11:40
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    .... vegetarianism is often linked to spirituality..
    Christ seems to suggest that there is no connection between what you eat and spirituality. Any connection people claim there is, is purely imaginary.

    Mat 15:11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.
    Mat 15:12 Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying?
    Mat 15:13 But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.
    Mat 15:14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.
    Mat 15:15 Then answered Peter and said unto him, Declare unto us this parable.
    Mat 15:16 And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?
    Mat 15:17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
    Mat 15:18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
  13. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    21 Oct '09 11:53
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Christ seems to suggest that there is no connection between what you eat and spirituality. Any connection people claim there is, is purely imaginary.

    Mat 15:11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.
    Mat 15:12 Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Phar ...[text shortened]... those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
    oh hell no, i thought you were banned for obscenity!
  14. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    21 Oct '09 14:35
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    in a spiritual context, it is evident that Adam and Eve were vegetarians, and it was not until after the flood, that God permitted humans to eat animals.
    I read somewhere that Noah was allowed 7 of each domesticated animal on the Ark, though having looked it up I see that it is not very clear on that.
    So do you believe that all animals in Eden were Vegans? Were all animals before the flood vagans, or only humans? Do you believe that the only domestic animals before the flood were kept for fur?
  15. Joined
    21 Nov '07
    Moves
    4689
    21 Oct '09 16:261 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    Of course I'm not absolutely certain that essential amino acids can't be found in other dairy products or by combining a number of different legumes. I've read it both ways. I wish I could find a definitive reliable source of information. This has bugged me for 3 decades.

    Truth is, when I eat just fruits and vegetables I seem to feel better, and as menace said above, meat is slow to digest.
    I believe the biggest problem for us vegans are D and B12. D is produced by our skin when we
    spend time in UV-B light (the sun - bare upper body for 15 minutes a day is enough).

    Unfortunately, for vegans living in the north (like me) it's a problem during winter time. Even
    though your body can stock-pile D for a few months, by January we're completely drained and
    need supplements from food. B12 is also a problem since scientists aren't yet sure we can use the
    B12 that occur in plant life (like certain algae).

    Omega 3 used to be a problem, but reliable sources has turned out to be linseed oil (flax seed
    oil) and walnuts.

    So, for D and B12 I eat supplements from the pharmacy. I also make sure to buy soya (milk,
    meat, flour) and other products enriched with both D and B12.

    I don't think that vegan food (with these supplements) can be said to be any less nutritious.
Back to Top