1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 09:48
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    The Bible teaches that Christ was politically neutral, does it not?
    No it does not "teach" that anywhere in the text at all - it is a doctrine created by your organisation.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 09:51
    Originally posted by divegeester
    How can you claim that Jesus was politically neutral when he declared/allowed himself to be declared King of the Jews in a totalitarian state?
    thats like claiming a teenager being crowned prom king is being pollitical.
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 09:53
    No it does not "teach" that anywhere in the text at all - it is a doctrine created by your organisation.
    i agree with robbie on this one. jesus didn't take sides. he didn't seek to overthrow governments.

he simply said "you guys worry too much about this earthly stuff, just love each other and be nice. and peter, pass me the doogie, man" (i might be paraphrasing a bit)
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 09:55
    a Christian would need to take into consideration in what capacity he is serving the
    state and whether it complies with the dictates of his conscience, he could not serve
    with good conscience in the military, nor in a munitions factory by way of example.
    Again it is futile to draw any hard and fast rules, each Christian must be guided by his ...[text shortened]... in accordance with his understanding. Unlike Christ we also don't walk on
    water, just saying.
    So members of your organisation can serve the state and the crown (in the case of the U.K.) and enforce its laws on a case-by-case basis - according to "the dictates of his conscience" - with regard to fellow citizens?
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 09:59
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    i agree with robbie on this one. jesus didn't take sides. he didn't seek to overthrow governments.

he simply said "you guys worry too much about this earthly stuff, just love each other and be nice. and peter, pass me the doogie, man" (i might be paraphrasing a bit)
    You miss the point; being neutral was impossible in terms of democratic choice as there was no democracy. You were either Roman or not, you obeyed Roman law or you got nailed up.

The question should be; if Jesus lived in a free democratic society would he have voted? That question is not addressed in scripture as robbie claims and there in no parallel (nor can there be) with the JW's apparent claims of being politically neutral in a free democratic country.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 10:01
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    thats like claiming a teenager being crowned prom king is being pollitical.
    What an odd thing to say; do you think a prom-king would be executed for winning the competition?
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 10:04
    What an odd thing to say; do you think a prom-king would be executed for winning the competition?
    they probably not, but its not a bad idea.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 11:55
    I think it does, in fact, perhaps you can cite a single instance where Christ became
    politically involved with the issues of his fellow Jews, I can think of several which
    demonstrate his impartiality, the fact that you need to attack, once again, our
    organisation is a reflection either of your lack of Biblical knowledge and understanding
    or a prejudiced disposition, who can say?
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 11:56
    this example would be better if you adjusted it: "would a prom king be executed because the president of the US thought him being named prom-king is a threat to his rule?"

jesus, like the prom-king, won a popularity contest. that doesn't make him political yet. he time and again said his kingdom is not in this world. he never participated in political issues. so robbie is correct in saying jesus was a-political. what he isn't correct about is that somehow, jesus suggests everyone to do the same.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 11:591 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    So members of your organisation can serve the state and the crown (in the case of the U.K.) and enforce its laws on a case-by-case basis - according to "the dictates of his conscience" - with regard to fellow citizens?
    I actually do not know anyone who is a witness and who is employed by the
    government to enforce laws, not a single police man, not a traffic warden, not a
    member of the judiciary. I do know a lollipop lady who enforces traffic regulation to
    help children safely cross the road at school time, presumably she does so, acting
    within the constraints of her conscience, indeed, i cannot see how helping children
    safely cross the road would conflict with her conscience, can you?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 12:03
    I actually do not know anyone who is a witness and who is employed by the
    government to enforce laws, not a single police man, not a traffic warden, not a
    member of the judiciary.
    You once told us there are Jehovah's Witnesses who are judges. So there are some, even if you don't personally know them, yes?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 12:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    You once told us there are Jehovah's Witnesses who are judges. So there are some, even if you don't personally know them, yes?
    I cannot say, i dont know any. One of the brothers way back was a judge, like in
    1920's whether he continued to practice as a member of the judiciary after he became
    a witness, i have no idea.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 12:11
    I cannot say, i dont know any. One of the brothers way back was a judge, like in
    1920's whether he continued to practice as a member of the judiciary after he became
    a witness, i have no idea.
    You clearly suggested that there are Jehovah's Witnesses who are judges nowadays because you used the bit of information to explain why some JWs currently earn more than $100,000 in the U.S.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 15:051 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    You clearly suggested that there are Jehovah's Witnesses who are judges nowadays because you used the bit of information to explain why some JWs currently earn more than $100,000 in the U.S.
    Well i dont know any, sorry. I have really no idea why some in the U.S earn more than
    $100,000 dollars, the two witnesses that i do know from the states, both Texans, earn
    nothing like $100,000 dollars.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 15:06
    Well i dont know any, sorry. I have really no idea why some in the U.S earn more than
    $100,000 dollars.
    But there are judges, as you claimed?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree