1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 16:361 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Hopefully the entire process will take you more than just a few minutes.

Going into that booth with no clue is not the best way to serve your fellow citizens.

Just like "driving while intoxicated" is a crime, "voting while stupid" should also be a crime. But millions upon millions of the middle class do it every election.

Also, it's "politicians".
    I agree that voting is a serious activity and that the choices that are made at the ballot should
    be thought long and hard about, with decisions being made calmly and rationally...

However while I would regard it as being immoral to cast a vote with no thought as to the consequences
    or investigation of the candidates and their stated policies/track records.... It certainly should not be
    illegal to do so.

Morality and legality don't always align.

Those who vote for a political party year in year out regardless of the policies or candidates simply
    because they (and/or their family/friends) have always voted that way, is both immoral and dangerous
    and a large part of the problem with modern politics.

However I will fight to the death to defend their right to be that stupid and immoral.
    (whilst simultaneously telling them how stupid and immoral they are)

In much the same way that I would fight to the death to protect your right to believe the stupid and immoral
    things you do about god/JC/the bible whilst also telling you how stupid and immoral those beliefs are.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 16:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    I realize you're just letting off steam, but - running with it anyway - what happens if the bureaucratic mechanism, set up to criminalize stupid people who attempt vote, designates you as stupid and adds you to the list of "millions upon millions"?
    How about taking an exam on "US Government 101" before being allowed to register to vote?
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 16:40
    How about taking an exam on "US Government 101" before being allowed to register to vote?
    Been tried... Turned out to be a really bad idea... Unless you're a republican.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 16:41
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    In much the same way that I would fight to the death to protect your right to believe the stupid and immoral
    things you do about god/JC/the bible whilst also telling you how stupid and immoral those beliefs are.
    As long as you don't suddenly decide it's in the world's best interest to simply "machine gun" down those who hold such "dangerous" ideas.

You know, for the safety of the world.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 16:43
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Been tried... Turned out to be a really bad idea... Unless you're a republican.
    But how many voters have you heard say "why in the world do we have to vote for congressmen so often when senators aren't up for a vote nearly as often?"

A lot of people just do not "get" how our government works on even a basic level.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 16:46
    Originally posted by JS357
    When voting, who here has not come across some harbor district or county equalization board or other agency that you didn't know existed, and lo and behold you are supposed to vote for not more than three of the 7 candidates. All you have to go on is their names and maybe their occupations. Two are listed as "incumbent", one is a "retired accountant" etc.

...[text shortened]... nd of situation that I think of, when I see Suzianne's comment about voting while stupid.
    Yes, this kind of thing is what I mean.

The country recorder's office (or whoever administers your local elections) usually sends out pamphlets and/or sample ballots long before the election so people can get prepared to vote. But too many people just toss such info and go into that voting booth totally blind.
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 16:50
    As long as you don't suddenly decide it's in the world's best interest to simply "machine gun" down those who hold such "dangerous" ideas.

You know, for the safety of the world.
    I would never decide that.

Because unlike you I have a decent well grounded moral system that prohibits that.

And also because I am not a genocidal maniac.

I would remind you that your highly religious (Christian) nation is rather notorious for
    imposing it's views on the rest of the world by 'machine gunning' down those who disagree.

Your Christian presidents are the ones who authorised and continue to authorise robotic
    drone strikes on foreign civilians on the off chance that some of them might be terrorists.

And it was a Christian who decided to try to take over the world and wipe out the Jews in
    1930's Germany.

So if I were you I would remember the glass house I was in, and refrain from throwing stones
    at those who live in houses of brick.
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 16:58
    But how many voters have you heard say "why in the world do we have to vote for congressmen so often when senators aren't up for a vote nearly as often?"

A lot of people just do not "get" how our government works on even a basic level.
    Well I live in the UK so I have never heard someone say that...

I've heard people say things that you might consider the to be the English equivalent.

However as I said (and you apparently missed).... I think that people who don't take the time to
    understand their countries politics and make reasoned informed choices are damaging democracy
    and are acting immorally.

And I more than support measures to teach people (especially kids at school) HOW our political systems
    work and WHY democracies need interested informed citizens to function properly.

What I don't support is actually putting impediments in place to prevent people from voting (unless you are
    in prison serving a sentence for committing a crime as you have then forfeited your right to vote).

You don't have to tell me that lots of people vote for stupid reasons, or fail to take the time to make themselves
    properly informed.

I agree with that.

What i totally disagree with you about is how to deal with the problem, not that it exists.
  9. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 17:40
    The middle class is the only class that votes without an agenda. If they do have an agenda, it is usually some nebulous idea like "wanting to provide better for their families".

The poor do not vote for conservatives since conservatives favor reducing welfare and other infrastructure that helps them.

The rich do not vote for liberals since liberals f ...[text shortened]... least both the rich and the poor have an actual reason for voting the way they do.
    How do you vote?
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 18:22
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I believe anyone that has the legal right to vote should vote because it is the right thing to do.
    Your usual deep analysis!
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 18:34
    And would it be set at a level which you would pass?

How would you feel if it was set a little higher?
    Too high for you.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 22:17
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Thank you, once again the assertion that we are unable to exercise our consciences
    because of alleged dictates is thoroughly and soundly refuted, I hope the forum will
    remember this. We are politically neutral because Christ was politically neutral.
    Are JW's instructed/taught by the leadership to be "politically neutral"?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 22:32
    Thank you, once again the assertion that we are unable to exercise our consciences
    because of alleged dictates is thoroughly and soundly refuted, I hope the forum will
    remember this. We are politically neutral because Christ was politically neutral.
    What about in places like Australia where voting is compulsary?
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 22:33
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Are JW's instructed/taught by the leadership to be "politically neutral"?
    He is not permitted to say one way or the other. 😛
  15. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 22:351 edit
    It does not bother me that you don't vote.

I just think if Jesus had been politically neutral, he would not have attracted the attention of the Jewish hierarchy. He didn't vote because nobody voted.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree