1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 May '15 11:06
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "agnostics and atheists": some reject the concept of an after life; some think it may be a possibility which they are unable to empirically or rationally prove or deny; some accept the possibility with a measure of concern.
    The question I asked you was 'Have any of the atheists you've met believed in an "after life"?' Would your answer be a yes or a no?
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    25 May '15 11:08
    Originally posted by FMF
    You are dodging the question, Grampy Bobby. I asked you what [b]you mean when you slip the word "summarily" into your statements and questions on this matter, not what individuals from other cultures mean when they use it.[/b]
    The gratuitous use of site nicknames signals the segue from objectivity to subjectivity which is of no interest or value.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 May '15 11:10
    The gratuitous use of site nicknames signals the segue from objectivity to subjectivity which is of no interest or value.
    This is just dodging on-topic responses to your posts.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 May '15 16:01
    Come off it GB.

PS are initially OK...?
  5. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    25 May '15 21:54
    Originally posted by FMF
    The question I asked you was 'Have any of the [b]atheists you've met believed in an "after life"?' Would your answer be a yes or a no?[/b]
    atheists who believe in an afterlife 🙄
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 May '15 00:20
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    Indeed, I have been pressing Grampy Bobby on this matter but he's been dodging and deflecting.
  7. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    26 May '15 00:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    Indeed, I have been pressing Grampy Bobby on this matter but he's been dodging and deflecting.
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    26 May '15 01:14
    What are the temporal and eternal benefits for someone who believes
    in an after life to decide to become an agnostic or an atheist?
    You can't just decide to become an agnostic, or an atheist. You have to be convinced.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 May '15 02:05
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    You can't just decide to become an agnostic, or an atheist. You have to be convinced.
    Sure, we agree; it's a process before deciding not unlike the process before deciding to become a believer in Christ. And then having decided to become an agnostic or atheist, "What are the temporal and eternal benefits..."?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 May '15 02:08
    Sure, we agree; it's a process before deciding not unlike the process before deciding to become a believer in Christ. And then having decided to become an agnostic or atheist, "What are the temporal and eternal benefits..."?
    Do you seriously think people can somehow decide to believe something that they simply do not believe?
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 May '15 02:09
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Come off it GB.

PS are initially OK...?
    @divegeester: "Bunni wae"

The meaning of life the universe and everything...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0eDCYZAIvAo"

"The meaning of life the universe and everything..." is revealed in the Word of God and no where else.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 May '15 02:10
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    Thanks.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 May '15 02:10
    And then having decided to become an agnostic or atheist, "What are the temporal and eternal benefits..."?
    Have you ever met an atheist who believed in "benefits" that are "eternal"?
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 May '15 02:13
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    That is a poor analogy. Interest in something is quite different from belief.

[b]Similarly, when someone becomes aware of the possibility that some god or gods may exist [God consciousness] he or she may decide to summarily dismiss that possibility and by definition become an atheist.

No. An atheist is someone that lacks belief in God or gods. He ...[text shortened]... f you are successful, then let us know. If you are not successful, then I have proved you wrong.[/b]
    Would you describe yourself as an atheist, agnostic, theist or believer in Christ?
  15. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    26 May '15 03:121 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you seriously think people can somehow decide to believe something that they simply do not believe?
    Why not? You decided to not believe something you believed, so how would coming to believe something you didn't believe be any less congruent? I didn't believe it either but then later I did believe it. This doesn't mean I believed and disbelieved it at the same time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree