1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 13:361 edit
    Originally posted by C Hess
    Ok, don't get all upset with me now, but I need to clear this up. It's all just a wee bit
    confusing. So, this is what christianity boils down to, right?

God creates the universe. God creates man. God creates woman from man's rib. Woman
    disobeys god. God punish man and woman by inflicting sin upon them. God sacrifices
    himself to himself to give (wo)m ...[text shortened]... ty.

Is it just me, or is this not what you would only expect from a clinically insane person?
    Now please don't get upset with me, but astronomy really just boils down to this, Right?

"Twinkle, twinkle little star.
    How I wonder what you are."

I mean, when you get past all the volumes of confusing stuff, isn't this what astronomy really boils down to ?
  2. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 13:451 edit
    Wolfgang,
    Perhaps, you missed the point. What does herding goats have to do with God Himself or gaining eternal life? We don't need to know everything about God to have eternal life.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 13:471 edit
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    You can find it in Genesis.
    Also here:

Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
    . . .

For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

(Romans 5:12, 19-21 KJV)
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 13:58
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Maybe God is not omniscient in the way you and some others think. It seems clear that God did not know if Abraham would go through with the sacrifice of Issac until he almost did it. So God being omniscient does not include infinite foreknowledge of everything.
    You heard it first here, RJ thinks his god is only human.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 14:04
    Also here:

[b]Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
    . . .

For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, gra ...[text shortened]... hrough righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

(Romans 5:12, 19-21 KJV)[/b]
    RJ, thanks for putting those verses together like that.

They were appetizing indeed, like a few tasty strips of bacon for breakfast.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 15:36
    what a crock
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 15:59
    Originally posted by redbarons
    what a crock
    You know what, as a nice change, why don't you act like you're a guest in someone else's house. Try to show some respect.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 16:03
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    You know what, as a nice change, why don't you act like you're a guest in someone else's house. Try to show some respect.
    sorry/ its just all you god v atheists do is gainsay each other its like a tennis match.
  9. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 18:02
    I would be more interested in herding cattle and sheep.
    I wouldn't.
  10. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 18:20
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Actually my friend this appears to me to be not absolutely accurate.

God creates the universe. God creates the animal kingdom and mankind. God gives man dominion over the earth, endows him with free will and a sense of justice. Man lives in paradisiac conditions, with perfect health. Man seeks moral independence from God, establishes his own m ...[text shortened]... stuff and burning in hell fire for eternity are extra biblical and essentially of pagan origin.
    Uuh, yeah, I don't think I've ever heard it described this way. So, there's no hell, jesus is not
    god (basically trinity is a bust), adam and eve perfectly understood what would be the
    consequences of their action (or they really can't be held accountable for the fall), you will
    not spend eternity in some other realm with god, but as an immortal here on earth, which
    will be paradise once restored; paradise will be for those who accept jesus.

So, if I read the bible: adam and eve knew what they were doing, no hell, no trinity, no
    afterlife paradise?
  11. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 18:32
    Originally posted by whodey
    I prefer atheist logic.

Matter came from nothing. We don't know why or where or how but it just is so accept it already. Sure, the Big Bang makes it look like it was created but the idea of a God is just crazy. After all, we can't see him or hear him so he must not exist. The only things we accept that we don't see or hear are things that no one has ev ...[text shortened]... well with the world. Thanks be to Darwin that there is no God, or I would be in deep poo!! 😵
    Yeah, I would recommend you work on your mocking a little more. I'll give you a small tip, it
    helps if you know what view the person holds, whose view you're trying to ridicule. 😵
  12. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 18:52
    Originally posted by whodey
    I actaully would like to add to my original rant. For it seems that the ancients are often frowned upon as "ignorant" and less evolved than we today. Then again, we have cell phones and they didn't, so to hell with the pyramids and ancient knowledge and wisdom I suppose. After all, look at the world and see just how far we have come. Instead of using swor ...[text shortened]... use drones. It's much more civilized, don't you think? It's almost like playing a video game.
    I can see you're upset, and the wise thing to do when that happens, I've found, is to stop
    speaking. Only an idiot would suggest that the hebrews back then were less evolved.
    However, they were undoubtedly ignorant about a great many things, which is amply
    demonstrated in the book of genesis (which, to be perfectly fair, is the only part of the bible
    I've managed to drudge my way through). Were they wise? I'm sure in many ways they
    were, but nothing so wise I've heard that I couldn't get from any enlightened secular
    humanist.
  13. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 18:54
    Maybe God is not omniscient in the way you and some others think. It seems clear that God did not know if Abraham would go through with the sacrifice of Issac until he almost did it. So God being omniscient does not include infinite foreknowledge of everything.
    So, is god incompetent?
  14. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 19:07
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    God had given instruction, A&E chose to do something different. A&E used their freewill to go against what was instructed for their own good, and suffered the consequence.

I'd say god created sin

Your wrong.
    {sigh}

If god created adam and eve, gave them free will (knowing full well that free will entails the
    possibility of disobedience), and decided that disobedience is a horrible thing to be
    punished, calling it sin, then he did in fact create the concept of sin, and the sinful nature
    of mankind to go with it. If your god exists, and you represented him accurately, he's
    responsible for this whole mess we call finite life of suffering and endless trite, with
    glimpses of joy sprinkled on top.

I don't see how you can get around that.
  15. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '14 19:14
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    No, it's not just you. There are plenty of people around who also think that it's all about them.

😛
    You're mistaken about me. I'm an atheist. Meaning, I don't think I'm a special centre piece
    in life's vast drama, nor that special consideration should be shown to me because of
    what I don't believe in.

😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree