03 Mar '19 07:261 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 07:30
    @bigdoggproblem said
    The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil can be thought of as a metaphor for the birth of reason in humans.
    The trees a metaphorical for sure, but no other Christian in this forum will admit that.
  3. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 07:39
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

I put it to you sir that religion gets in the way of what it truly means to be human and denigrates our commonality.
    Indeed it does.
  4. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 07:40
    @divegeester said
    The trees a metaphorical for sure, but no other Christian in this forum will admit that.
    How do you know it's a metaphor and not a literal tree?
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 07:42
    @secondson said
    Where is the tree of life? Does it have roots and leaves?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 07:44
    @secondson said
    The same way I know that the multiheaded beasts wearing crowns and being ridden by whores wearing cloaks dripping in the blood of thousands of Christians is a metaphor and not real.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 07:45
    @philokalia said
    In Christianity, we believe that all men are made in the image of God, and that they are "Christ-bearers."
    As usual you don’t know your bible philokalia, that is not what Christianity teaches at all, not in the slightest. In fact it’s almost the opposite.

Only Adam was made in God’s image.
    Eve was made out of man.
    Both died spiritually and were exiled.
    Mankind became children of Satan spiritually speaking.
    We changed spiritually and physically.

So no, “in Christianity” we do not believe what you said in the slightest.

Edit: there is no doctrine in Christianity which holds a juxtaposition to your racist view that different races have differing intelligences. Nothing for you to seek solace in or hide behind.
  8. S. Korea
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 07:45
    @bigdoggproblem said
    "We are a way for the Cosmos to know itself." -Carl Sagan
    It is interesting how he ascribes will and agency to the cosmos.

I was always under the impression that he was a hard materialist.

Would he admit he was just waxing poetic in this statement?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 07:48
    Ah you thumbed it down, not because of the truth but because you don’t like it.
  10. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 07:50
    @divegeester said
    Where is the tree of life? Does it have roots and leaves?
    Do trees have roots and leaves?
  11. S. Korea
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 07:52
    @divegeester said
    As usual you don’t know your bible philokalia, that is not what Christianity teaches at all, not in the slightest. In fact it’s almost the opposite.

Only Adam was made in God’s image.
    Eve was made out of man.
    Both died spiritually and were exiled.
    Mankind became children of Satan spiritually speaking.
    We changed spiritually and physically.

So no, “in Chris ...[text shortened]... that different races have differing intelligences. Nothing for you to seek solace in or hide behind.
    That is completely wrong.

Moses says this:

Genesis 9:6 ESV / 113 helpful votes
    “Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed, for God made man in his own image

It is also important to note that in the previous iteration, where they are doing the creation itself, it does speak GENERALLY about creating man in His Image:

"And God said: Let us make man in Our image, after Our likeness...So God created man in His own image, in the image of God created He him; male and female created He them" (Genesis 1:26-27)

He as not speaking of Adam, but man in general.

it says the same in the New Testament:

1 Corinthians 11:7 ESV / 82 helpful votes
    For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God, but woman is the glory of man.

There it is in the New & Old Testament: Man was made in the image of God. And, in Corinthians, Paul views women as once more removed from God. Sexist? Sure, you could say that, but regardless, your point is wrong.

My teachings are completely in line with what Christians believe -- Wikipedia acknowledges it:

The Image of God (Hebrew: צֶלֶם אֱלֹהִים‎, translit. tzelem Elohim; Latin: Imago Dei) is a concept and theological doctrine in Judaism,[1] Christianity, and Sufism of Islam,[2][3] which asserts that human beings are created in the image and likeness of God.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_of_God

I wasn't wrong.

In fact, I would say that to deny this would be to show an unfamiliarity with standard Christian belief.

Did you grow up in an unchurched environment, Dive?
  12. S. Korea
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 07:53
    @divegeester said
    Ah you thumbed it down, not because of the truth but because you don’t like it.
    Do you care when your posts get downvoted? Do you care when they get upvoted?

I am probably the second most unpopular poster on this website.

It doesn't bother me.

I do not think you are particularly well liked, either, so maybe you and Bronwyn should get thicker skin.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 07:561 edit
    @philokalia said
    In fact, I would say that to deny this would be to show an unfamiliarity with standard Christian belief
    [1] Would you say divegeester is a "heretic" for believing what he does about it being Adam who was made in God's image?

[2] If divegeester is a "heretic" does it have any impact on his humanity?
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 07:56
    @secondson said
    Do trees have roots and leaves?
    You can answer my question if you like, or just play games like you did last we discussed this.

Where is the tree of life?

I’ll answer it for you as you clearly have trouble seeing past the decades of Sunday school dogma you have been force fed.

Jesus Christ is the tree of life, he is the fruit bearer and we must eat of him. He is symbolised throughout the bible in many ways.

There is only one tree of life and yet the bible has at least two! One in Genesis and one in Revelation where it stands on both sides of the great river and “it’s leaves are for the healing of the nations”. There cannot be two trees of life and also leaves don’t heal, Christ is our healer.

These are such simple things, it astonishes me that I have to argue these points with seasoned Christians.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 07:57
    @philokalia said
    Do you care when your posts get downvoted? Do you care when they get upvoted?

I am probably the second most unpopular poster on this website.

It doesn't bother me.

I do not think you are particularly well liked, either, so maybe you and Bronwyn should get thicker skin.
    I see through you Jacob. That’s all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree