1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 May '18 21:36
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    In eternal hell, where this odd version of the loving Jesus who died for the world he loved so much, will be burning alive for eternity those who reject his love...what will be the fuel for the flames?

Eternity is a long time, so will there be an eternal butane cylinder or will Jesus employ some other means of keeping the lake of eternal suffering in a state of optimal heat?
    Do you think God is limited by natural devices?

As for hell...do you think Jesus lied about it?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 May '18 22:00
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    In these conversations, I can't help but notice that Satan gets the short shrift. He gets to run hell, but doesn't get to decide who goes there.

Isn't his eternal frustration enough to fuel hell?
    He gets to run hell, but doesn't get to decide who goes there.

Where did you get this idea?
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 May '18 22:265 edits
    That is an odd version of the loving Jesus who did not mean what He said in the New Testament.

Then again you may also want to subtract out of His mouth that -
    New American Standard Bible
    Looking at them, Jesus said, "With people it is impossible, but not with God; for all things are possible with God." (Matt.10:27)

( I borrow the phrase here for its truth value. I did not say I interpret here the meaning of that passage). What is impossible with man is possible with God.

Perhaps in your "less odd" version of Jesus, Jesus never said that "for all things are possible with God." .

Maybe in your "less odd" version of the Bible the laws of physics forbade God from causing the clothing of the Israelites not wax old and decay as they were wandering 40 years in the desert. God says He altered the typical effects of aging material.

"And I have led you forty years in the wilderness; your clothing did not wear out from upon you, nor did your sandal wear out from upon your foot." (Deut. 29:5)

It seems that God Who in the beginning "created the heavens and the earth" has also the power and authority to circumvent His own laws of physics should He want to.

Again in Nehemiah 9:21
    English Standard Version
    Forty years you sustained them in the wilderness, and they lacked nothing. Their clothes did not wear out and their feet did not swell.

Perhaps in your "less odd" version of God in your "less odd" Bible He could not cause an iron axe head to float on the water miraculously as the prophet Elisha did.

Second Kings 6:4-7
    GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)

4 So he went with them. They came to the Jordan River and began to cut down trees. 5 As one of them was cutting down a tree, the ax head fell into the water. He cried out, “Oh no, master! It was borrowed!”

6 The man of God asked, “Where did it fall?” When he showed Elisha the place, Elisha cut off a piece of wood. He threw it into the water at that place and made the ax head float. 7 Elisha said, “Pick it up.” The disciple reached for it and picked it up.

Maybe your "less odd" Bible doesn't include the story of the Hebrew men thrown into the fiery furnace, walking around, coming out, and not even the smell of smoke on any of their clothing.

19 Then Nebuchadnezzar was furious with Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, and his attitude toward them changed. He ordered the furnace heated seven times hotter than usual 20 and commanded some of the strongest soldiers in his army to tie up Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego and throw them into the blazing furnace. 21 So these men, wearing their robes, trousers, turbans and other clothes, were bound and thrown into the blazing furnace. 22 The king’s command was so urgent and the furnace so hot that the flames of the fire killed the soldiers who took up Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, 23 and these three men, firmly tied, fell into the blazing furnace. 24 Then King Nebuchadnezzar leaped to his feet in amazement and asked his advisers, “Weren’t there three men that we tied up and threw into the fire?” They replied, “Certainly, Your Majesty.” 25 He said, “Look! I see four men walking around in the fire, unbound and unharmed, and the fourth looks like a son of the gods.” 26 Nebuchadnezzar then approached the opening of the blazing furnace and shouted, “Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, servants of the Most High God, come out! Come here!” So Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego came out of the fire, 27 and the satraps, prefects, governors and royal advisers crowded around them. They saw that the fire had not harmed their bodies, nor was a hair of their heads singed; their robes were not scorched, and there was no smell of fire on them. (See Daniel 3:19-27

My "odd" Bible says God overruled the typical expected scientific result.

Since "God is not mocked" I wouldn't put any trust in any lampoon from the minds of fallen men that expects God to be limited such that He will not be ABLE to do as He has said He will do. And that though I may not know how.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    27 May '18 05:13
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    What a persuasive argument!
    For once, we agree on something. [Other than Chuck Norris jokes.]
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    27 May '18 05:14
    Originally posted by @sonship
    He gets to run hell, but doesn't get to decide who goes there.

Where did you get this idea?
    From the Bible.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 May '18 05:18
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    You're an idiot.
    Off topic, but bang on target.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    27 May '18 05:20
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Have there ever been 4 quicker thumbs up?
    Probably not. But they were easy. The target is easy. I'm just hoping that the frequent criticism from all directions eventually sinks in. This forum is poorer for the presence of this sad person.
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    27 May '18 05:22
    Off topic, but bang on target.
    Sometimes the most direct approach is best.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    27 May '18 05:251 edit
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Go back to Genesis and read from Gen. 3:8 onwards. It seems like God apparently doesn't know EVERYthing going on around him.
    See, now that is a good point. There ought to be a separate thread about this. The OT God clearly has "blind spots". Clearly, he is not omniscient.

Edit: Thread 177068 created.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 May '18 05:261 edit
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    I would imagine that such a "lake of fire" would either be self-sustaining, or perhaps fueled by "God's wrath".
    A literal “Self-sustaining” lake of fire eh...you have any Mickey Mouse comedy physics to explain that?

How does the emotion “wrath of god” turn into fuel for a literal lake of fire...is it a bit like when Jesus turned water into wine but without the love, “endless mercy”, compassion, etc?
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 May '18 05:33
    Originally posted by @sonship
    That is an odd version of the loving Jesus who did not mean what He said in the New Testament.

Then again you may also want to subtract out of His mouth that -
    [quote] [b] New American Standard Bible

Looking at them, Jesus said, "With people it is impossible, but not with God; for all things are possible with God." (Matt.10:27) [/quot ...[text shortened]... h that He will not be ABLE to do as He has said He will do. And that though I may not know how.[/b]
    The only “lampoon” here sonship, is you and your ducking and diving. Tell me did you find your balls yet?

...There is a thread where I asked you to either call me out as being ashamed of Jesus or call the idiot Romans1009 out for accusing me of it. Predictably you did neither.

You will fight and fight and fight for your beloved eternal suffering, and yet when a simple moment of principle presents itself you run like a scalded cat. You’re pathetic mate.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 May '18 05:341 edit
    Originally posted by @seonship
    wouldn't put any trust in any lampoon from the minds of fallen men...
    I’m a “fallen man” now am I?
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 May '18 05:403 edits
    Fuel for the literal eternal fires of hell...

So far we have:
    “A very large can of butane”, “a Self sustaining lake of fire”, “God’s wrath”, Any nearby “star” and a “circumvention of the laws of physics” as possible solitons.

Edit: this is supposedly a literal eternal lake of fire, which is supervised by the loving Jesus with his “mercy which endured forever”...
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    27 May '18 05:42
    Fuel for the literal eternal fires of hell...

So far we have:
    “A very large can of butane”, “a Self sustaining lake of fire”, “God’s wrath”, Any nearby “star” and a “circumvention of the laws of physics” as possible solitons.
    I have a question for you, sir; a person I view as a Reasonable Theist.

Is there any part of your faith that relies on "supernatural" explanations? If so, how do you account for your personal suspension of disbelief in the accepted Laws of Physics?
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 May '18 05:492 edits
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Do you think God is limited by natural devices?

As for hell...do you think Jesus lied about it?
    A) I have no idea. It’s your version of god and hell where this literal lake of fire exists in the first place. Presumably your version of Jesus felt it necessary to invent the lake in order carry out this eternal genicide.

B)Jesus spoke in parables most of the time; but don’t let that fact get in the way of your shock and awe god of eternal fury beliefs

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree