1. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    10 Sep '16 16:31
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    So you take a literal understanding of what is written in the bible?
    The psalms are full of poetry. I don't think poetry should always be taken literally.
  2. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Sep '16 16:34
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    The psalms are full of poetry. I don't think poetry should always be taken literally.
    What about Genesis?
  3. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    10 Sep '16 17:58
    What about Genesis?
    Not many poems in Genesis that I know of. I may be wrong.
  4. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Sep '16 18:10
    Not many poems in Genesis that I know of. I may be wrong.
    So, due to the lack of poems, you take Genesis literally? (Exposing yourself to the usual questions of; where did Cain's wife come from, what did the carnivores eat of the ark etc?)
  5. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    10 Sep '16 18:372 edits
    So, due to the lack of poems, you take Genesis literally? (Exposing yourself to the usual questions of; where did Cain's wife come from, what did the carnivores eat of the ark etc?)
    I haven't really decided as I don't think the taking or (not taking) of Genesis literally is a prerequisite for salvation. Do you take Genesis literally? If you do I suggest you look up answersingenesis. They have answers to those questions and more. For me it's not really an issue.
  6. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Sep '16 20:12
    I haven't really decided as I don't think the taking or (not taking) of Genesis literally is a prerequisite for salvation. Do you take Genesis literally? If you do I suggest you look up answersingenesis. They have answers to those questions and more. For me it's not really an issue.
    You recently said, 'No Christian will deny this because it's written in the Bible'. (Which I assumed meant you, as a Christian, don't deny anything written in the bible, due to its divine authorship). I see now that you are actually quite wishywashy on what you do and don't deny in the bible.

And no, I take Genesis quite fictitiously.
  7. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    11 Sep '16 03:14
    Just to point out: There is a great deal of poetry in Genesis. Poetry in Biblical Hebrew was not marked by the conventional poetic lines we are used to in English (and is not in the Torah scrolls); and even the Psalms are not necessarily so laid out in Jewish translations from the Hebrew, but visually might appear to be prose.

An English translation that does attempt to present the poetry more clearly in English translation is Everett Fox, The Five Books of Moses—a university professor of OT once told me that she thought this was the translation that best captured the Hebrew of the Torah.
  8. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    11 Sep '16 04:04
    You recently said, 'No Christian will deny this because it's written in the Bible'. (Which I assumed meant you, as a Christian, don't deny anything written in the bible, due to its divine authorship). I see now that you are actually quite wishywashy on what you do and don't deny in the bible.

And no, I take Genesis quite fictitiously.
    What exactly have I claimed to deny in the Bible?
  9. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    11 Sep '16 06:50
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Just to point out: There is a great deal of poetry in Genesis. Poetry in Biblical Hebrew was not marked by the conventional poetic lines we are used to in English (and is not in the Torah scrolls); and even the Psalms are not necessarily so laid out in Jewish translations from the Hebrew, but visually might appear to be prose.

An English translatio ...[text shortened]... ce told me that she thought this was the translation that best captured the Hebrew of the Torah.
    I had forgotten that O great one.

🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree