1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Sep '16 03:321 edit
    It sometimes seems as if the 'we are not worthy' and 'we are incapable of being righteous' and 'we cannot help being sinners' mantras that Christians have are little more than thinly disguised excuse-mongering or a kind of self-issued licence to do as one pleases, safe in the knowledge that one is, when all is said and done, going to be "forgiven". It's either that, or it's a kind of pervasive and rather hopeless misanthropy. Look at the ten commandments for instance. What's so hard about 'not sinning'?
  2. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    03 Sep '16 04:233 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    It sometimes seems as if the 'we are not worthy' and 'we are incapable of being righteous' and 'we cannot help being sinners' mantras that Christians have are little more than thinly disguised excuse-mongering or a kind of self-issued licence to do as one pleases, safe in the knowledge that one is, when all is said and done, going to be "forgiven". It's either t ...[text shortened]... less misanthropy. Look at the ten commandments for instance. What's so hard about 'not sinning'?
    So in your mind the only 'sins' out there are the 'breaking of the ten commandments'?

So you think it's a sin to get angry with your brother for instance? Or to look at the opposite sex with lust? Or not doing the good you know you ought to do?
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '16 04:42
    Originally posted by FMF
    It sometimes seems as if the 'we are not worthy' and 'we are incapable of being righteous' and 'we cannot help being sinners' mantras that Christians have are little more than thinly disguised excuse-mongering or a kind of self-issued licence to do as one pleases, safe in the knowledge that one is, when all is said and done, going to be "forgiven". It's either t ...[text shortened]... less misanthropy. Look at the ten commandments for instance. What's so hard about 'not sinning'?
    If sins aren't hard for you to resist you aren't getting your money's worth.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Sep '16 05:01
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    So in your mind the only 'sins' out there are the 'breaking of the ten commandments'?
    It's just a starting point for the discussion.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Sep '16 05:04
    [1] So you think it's a sin to get angry with your brother for instance? [2] Or to look at the opposite sex with lust? [3] Or not doing the good you know you ought to do?
    [1] Probably not. It might be what's needed. [2] "Lust"? No, I don't. Do you? [3] I think I try my best and I do OK. What's so hard about 'not sinning'?
  6. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    03 Sep '16 05:261 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    [1] Probably not. It might be what's needed. [2] "Lust"? No, I don't. Do you? [3] I think I try my best and I do OK. What's so hard about 'not sinning'?
    [1] Probably not. It might be what's needed.

Matthew 5:21-22 You have heard that it was said to the ancients, ‘Do not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment.

[2] "Lust"? No, I don't. Do you?

Have you never? If you have, by God's reckoning you have committed adultery. I can't say I never have. So if you claim to have stopped should God just automatically forgive you?

3] I think I try my best and I do OK. What's so hard about 'not sinning'?

So I guess you never ever tell even a white lie?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Sep '16 05:39

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Sep '16 05:40
    "But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment."

When I get angry, it is usually with some good justification. What "judgement" do you think I deserve or awaits me? I don't get angry very often. I don't think it's especially difficult to avoid this particular kind of "sin". Do you?

re: Lust Have you never? If you have, by God's reckoning you have committed adultery. I can't say I never have. So if you claim to have stopped should God just automatically forgive you?

I'm not really one for lusting after women other than my wife. I don't think it's all that hard to avoid this form of "sin". If you can't avoid it, fair enough. What "judgement" do you think you deserve for "sinning" in this way?

re: doing good So I guess you never ever tell even a white lie?

Occasionally, but I don't think it's that hard to live life in a way that doesn't rely on lies or deceiving people. I don't think it's all that hard to avoid this form of "sin". If you, on the other hand, do find it hard, do your religious beliefs make it OK for you (with you being "forgiven" and all that)?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Sep '16 07:22
    Originally posted by FMF
    If this is all the deeper your understanding of God goes, then I'm not surprised you are no longer a Christian.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Sep '16 07:24
    Originally posted by FMF
    It's just a starting point for the discussion.
    Sounds more like an excuse to bash Christians.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Sep '16 07:25
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    If this is all the deeper your understanding of God goes, then I'm not surprised you are no longer a Christian.
    Do you find it difficult to not "sin"?
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '16 07:26
    What?
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Sep '16 07:27
    Originally posted by FMF
    What's so hard about 'not sinning'?
    I'm also guessing that you think you are sinless.

If you say you are, then I do not believe you. If you say you're not, then I say, "Yes, that is what is so hard about it." Human nature, Something you've always shown an inability to understand in these forums.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Sep '16 07:28
    Originally posted by divegeester
    What?
    You're not doing it right. 😀
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Sep '16 07:28
    How so? "Sinning" and "forgiveness" are surely central to your faith. I don't see how asking you to talk about it can be described as 'bashing Christians'? It'd be good if you'd join in the conversation properly.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree