Why are White Christians so racist?

Why are White Christians so racist?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
19 Jan 22
1 edit

@pb1022 said
<<This white supremacist group was received a shout-out from Trump during a live televised debate, unprompted. This is guy's racism is painfully obvious. So is the racism of white Christians who support him.>>

What was the “shout out?” What did he say?

He told them to “stand down,” did he not?
Trump said "stand back and stand by" ~ which echoes the military command "Stand down and stand by" which means remain alert and in an operational posture. Trump uttered this shout out to a self-styled paramilitary white supremacist group that formed when Barack Obama became president.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Jan 22

@fmf said
Good for you. Run with that then.

“Free persons of all faiths from the tyranny of their religion.”

This is certainly not the motto of a Biblical scholar and historian specializing in early Christianity like Bart D Ehrman.
No, Ehrman is just an outspoken atheist who makes his living from being an atheist.

One could say Ehrman is *more* invested and biased in examining the Gospels’ authenticity given that not only his personal beliefs but also his livelihood are on the line with the results of his “examination.”

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Jan 22

@fmf said
Born and raised a Baptist as far as I know.

His recanting of his poisonous racist views in later life was, of course, an American success story after decades of being a white supremacist, and something that can be chalked up to not only political expediency but also to his Christian faith [perhaps].

Perhaps you didn't mention that because you were too busy tripping over yourself with your tawdry retail-politics 'he was a Democrat' talking point.
Where in the New Testament is racism and cross burning endorsed?

Was Byrd’s membership in the KKK an example of what Jesus Christ taught?

F

Moves
19 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
No, Ehrman is just an outspoken atheist who makes his living from being an atheist.
He is a widely respected leading figure in the field of Biblical scholarship and the history of the early Christian church. That's what he makes his living from. He is highly regarded by non-atheist Biblical scholars. His most recent book is "The Triumph of Christianity: How a Forbidden Religion Swept the World" and in it his atheism did not come up at all.

F

Moves
19 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Where in the New Testament is racism and cross burning endorsed?

Was Byrd’s membership in the KKK an example of what Jesus Christ taught?
People like Robert Byrd are [or were in his case] a part of what Christianity is in the real world.

F

Moves
19 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
One could say Ehrman is *more* invested and biased in examining the Gospels’ authenticity given that not only his personal beliefs but also his livelihood are on the line with the results of his “examination.”
Ehrman lost his faith as a result of "examining the Gospels’ authenticity".

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Jan 22

@fmf said
Trump said "stand back and stand by" ~ which echoes the military command "Stand down and stand by" which means remain alert and in an operational posture. Trump uttered this shout out to a self-styled paramilitary white supremacist group that formed when Barack Obama became president.
You should watch his entire comment in the presidential debate. It’s available on YouTube and clearly shows (via the moderator’s question as well as his answer) that the context of his comment was violent left-wing groups rioting with impunity in major American cities while law enforcement did nothing on orders from politicians.

F

Moves
19 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
You should watch his entire comment in the presidential debate. It’s available on YouTube and clearly shows (via the moderator’s question as well as his answer) that the context of his comment was violent left-wing groups rioting with impunity in major American cities while law enforcement did nothing on orders from politicians.
You are mistaken. Willfully mistaken, perhaps.

Why are you trying to run pass interference on behalf of a Christian like Trump and Christians like the Proud Boys?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Jan 22

@fmf said
People like Robert Byrd are [or were in his case] a part of what Christianity is in the real world.
You didn’t answer my question.

Show me where in the New Testament racism and cross burning are advocated.

Is Byrd’s membership in the KKK an example of what Jesus Christ taught?

Can we say the atheists running communist governments in the 20th century who murdered 250 million people are “a part of what atheism is in the real world?”

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Jan 22

@fmf said
You are mistaken. Willfully mistaken, perhaps.

Why are you trying to run pass interference on behalf of a Christian like Trump and Christians like the Proud Boys?
No I’m not. Watch the clip on YouTube. I already have. It’s only 2 minutes long.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Jan 22

@fmf said
Ehrman lost his faith as a result of "examining the Gospels’ authenticity".
Yes, I’m sure that’s what he says.

F

Moves
19 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Is Byrd’s membership in the KKK an example of what Jesus Christ taught?
It's an example of what some Christians are like and so forms part of what Christianity is.

F

Moves
19 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Can we say the atheists running communist governments in the 20th century who murdered 250 million people are “a part of what atheism is in the real world?”
Absolutely. Yes.

F

Moves
19 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Yes, I’m sure that’s what he says.
If you do not know Ehrman's faith journey, don't project stuff that suits you onto him. This is another "Trilobites Moment" for you, I think.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Jan 22

@fmf said
It's an example of what some Christians are like and so forms part of what Christianity is.
No, Christianity is based on the New Testament.

Do you say Islam is a religion of violence based on all the suicide bombers who kill for allah?