1. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    27 Feb '05 09:01
    Originally posted by Joe Fist
    What the Bible Boys don't get, never will get, and never care to get is this:

They can ejaculate all the scripture they want all over this site, basically saying the same crap over and over again. One thing in their defense, none of us can categorically prove they are wrong and say that Jesus Christ is not the Son of God.

But the opposite is also tr ...[text shortened]... eve in God at all are not obessive-compulsive about converting the world to our way of thinking.
    I guess that's why you post instead of ignoring it.
  2. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    27 Feb '05 14:49
    Originally posted by Darfius
    I guess that's why you post instead of ignoring it.
    I post because I'm not the type of person who takes sh1t from people. I respond to insipid threads when I find them offensive. I have never started a thread, unless I am attempting to be satirical, about the benefits of Agnosticism because I'm not in a race to convert anybody to my way of thinking.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Feb '05 15:14
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    This statement, which I grow weary of hearing, is illogical nonsense. It is the line xtians use when they are weary of defending the errors of their religious beliefs, the behaviors of their fellows, or the facts they think their Bible contradicts.

Saying that your faith is a personal relationship with an executed revolutionary (who would no doubt vote di ...[text shortened]... absorbed pagan holidays, such as the celebrations of the winter solstice and the spring equinox.
    The foundation of Christianity is God reaching out to man through
    Christ, you may or may not agree with that it does not matter. As
    far as people absorbing elements of several religions around them
    goes, so what? Even in the OT, they were doing that, when the
    Jews started asking for a King, it happens. Does not mean God is
    happy about it, but there you go. That isn't evidence against any
    faith, people do bad and stupid things all the time.
    Kelly
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Feb '05 15:15
    I agree perhaps a better example might have provided more insight but I'm guessing what the author of this thread inferred and what I infer in this:

People have developed and created their own definitions of whatever God means to them. I don't think any of them are right or wrong but the very nature of Christianity preached here (and I am not attempti ...[text shortened]... htened and they are just trying to steer us on the right path, they trample on everybody else.
    Again so what? People come up with different ways to view a lot of
    things yet those things are not affected by the beliefs of people,
    they simply are what they are.
    Kelly
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Feb '05 15:181 edit
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    I know that.
    I just wanted simple tests.

applying the scientific method to both test can only produce result in test1.
    Test2 however shows why argments like dj2's are fallacies of testibility and don't belong in science.
    Science is blind, it has limited vision to those things we can test while
    God is not subject to our crafts, our tests, our wills. So with science it
    will always be ever learning, but never coming to full knowledge on
    all subjects.
    Kelly
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Feb '05 15:221 edit
    Originally posted by Starrman
    You are right, but for one thing. The burden of proof lays with the claimant, this is what theists never seem to realise. If they are going to claim god exists, it is up to them to demonstrate the truth of their claim. So, these debates ...[text shortened]... s the position they must operate from, there will be no advance 🙁
    I disagree I do not have a burden of proof, I'm not making any
    scientific claims. Besides, the scriptures state that God calls and
    His own hear His voice and respond to Him. The fact that there are
    those that accept or reject God have nothing to do with science
    it is faith.
    Kelly
  7. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    27 Feb '05 16:37
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I disagree I do not have a burden of proof, I'm not making any
    scientific claims. Besides, the scriptures state that God calls and
    His own hear His voice and respond to Him. The fact that there are
    those that accept or reject God have nothing to do with science
    it is faith.
    Kelly
    I disagree I do not have a burden of proof, I'm not making any scientific claims.

I disagree somewhat with both Starrman and KellyJay here—

If all the atheist/agnostic says is, “I have not found any evidence (natural, scientific, logical, mystical, whatever) that a God exists,” then they have made no claim and have no burden of proof that I can see.

Science, by its very nature assumes a burden of proof since it is based on evidence, testable hypotheses, etc. Scientists willingly embrace this burden; it is part of the discipline.

A theist who asserts the existence of a God, also assumes a burden of proof, it seems to me, in making the claim.

An atheist who asserts that there is no God is also making a claim. (So is the “strong agnostic,” who makes the positive assertion that it is not possible to “prove”—and there are many levels of “proof”— one way or the other.) The assertion that there is no God is like a null-hypothesis, which is subject to proof or disproof, directly or indirectly. Many atheists do make the claim “no God,” on rational or empirical grounds, whether or not they are “required” to do so.

Besides, the scriptures state that God calls and His own hear His voice and respond to Him.

If God calls, and I do not hear, does this just mean that I am not “his own,” and there’s nothing to do about it? If so, there’s no sense worrying about it one way or the other. If you claim, however, that the “fault” lays with me—let’s say, for example, not that I’m stubborn, but that I honestly misinterpret the “call:” I conclude, based on whatever evidence and how I weigh it, that it is an unconscious projection—then it seems to me that you also have a burden of proof.

I know you dislike this kind of question, Kelly, but does God have no “burden of proof” at all? I mean, unless there is plain, straightforward and unquestionable evidence for God that is available and easily recognizable to all—something beyond mystery and allusion that we’re just supposed to believe without evidence—how can God expect people to believe on that basis? (You might, of course, turn it around and say that I, as a mere human, have no right to place such expectations on God, but I think that would be just begging the question.)
  8. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    27 Feb '05 22:261 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Again so what? People come up with different ways to view a lot of
    things yet those things are not affected by the beliefs of people,
    they simply are what they are.
    Kelly
    Okay so what if I clogged up the theads here with statements on how righteous my beliefs are and put down others? Or because someone has a different view than mine own I put it down?

It is offensive, self-righteous, pious, condescending, and completely disrespectful to the non-Christian society. The few Xians that post here are the ones you find standing on soapboxes in large metropolitan cities. I would not be affected by them if there was some sort of mutual respect. I have a great many Xian friends that respect what I believe and I respect them. Nobody is trying to convert anybody and they have the common courtesy of not telling me what I hold important is wrong. I think that is a major source of anguish with the Xians that post here, their total lack of respect for anything outside their beliefs.
  9. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    27 Feb '05 22:30
    Okay so what if I clogged up the theads here with statements on how righteous my beliefs are and put down others? Or because someone has a different view than mine own I put it down?

It is offensive, self-righteous, pious, condescending, and completely disrespectful to the non-Christian society. The few Xians that post here are the ones you find standi ...[text shortened]... h with the Xians that post here, their total lack of respect for anything outside their beliefs.
    Then I say they are not your friends. Friends don't let friends drive drunk and likewise, friends don't let friends go to hell.
  10. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    27 Feb '05 22:45
    Then I say they are not your friends. Friends don't let friends drive drunk and likewise, friends don't let friends go to hell.
    You are such a self righteous little simpleton. You have no clue on anything and, especially those I consider my friends. So let's get this straight, according to your way of thinking:

True Christian = Saved, Kingdom of Heaven, etc, etc

Non Christian (for whatever reason) = Going to Hell

All you are doing is reinforcing my beliefs because, to me, you are probably the biggest a$$hole yet I have encountered. You are dumb college kid who knows nothing. I wish I could use profanity but I figure you can probably guess what I think of you. You are a jerk. If your Hell exists you had better hope we don't run into each other there. If so, you can bet we will settle up.
  11. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    27 Feb '05 22:47
    You are such a self righteous little simpleton. You have no clue on anything and, especially those I consider my friends. So let's get this straight, according to your way of thinking:

True Christian = Saved, Kingdom of Heaven, etc, etc

Non Christian (for whatever reason) = Going to Hell

All you are doing is reinforcing my beliefs because, to me ...[text shortened]... s you had better hope we don't run into each other there. If so, you can bet we will settle up.
    Why do you have so much hatred? Honestly, you just called me stupid, dumb, A-hole, and threatened me physically.

I mean, honestly, is it really that intense for you?

And yes, only the saved inherit the Kingdom of God. I mean, why do you think you deserve it? What have you done to deserve it? I sure don't deserve it, but I've admitted that, and submitted myself to Jesus Christ.
  12. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    27 Feb '05 23:00

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    28 Feb '05 00:06
    What makes you think I don't respect you?

You should differentiate between me not respecting you and the corrupted belief system you've fallen prey to.
  14. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    28 Feb '05 00:38
    What makes you think I don't respect you?

You should differentiate between me not respecting you and the corrupted belief system you've fallen prey to.
    I'm starting to think you must be putting me on to be this ignorant. If so, I concede you are a comic genius but I don't give you that much credit.

You have never asked me what my belief system is so how do you know is corrupted? Don't bother to ask now because I refuse to engage in any type of true correspondence with you. The only reason you claim its corrupt is because it is not yours.

You are sad and pitiful because of the extremely limited view of this intangible subject matter. At least for me, what I believe is what I am so for you to call my beliefs corrupt you are insulting me. That is the response I imagine you receive from many but you are too caught up in your message to hear the messages of anyone else.
  15. Altoona, Iowa.
    Moves
    28 Feb '05 03:45
    I'm starting to think you must be putting me on to be this ignorant. If so, I concede you are a comic genius but I don't give you that much credit.

You have never asked me what my belief system is so how do you know is corrupted? Don't bother to ask now because I refuse to engage in any type of true correspondence with you. The only reason you clai ...[text shortened]... receive from many but you are too caught up in your message to hear the messages of anyone else.
    I am listening what is your belief system?

And I won't bash you I have no rights to.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree