Why

Why "GOD" is an empty concept.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t
King of the Ashes

Trying to rise ....

Moves
02 Mar 05

Originally posted by Darfius
Saul is who I will address you as, for brevity's sake. Feel free to answer to it or not, I really do not care. It is not out of disrespect.

I compared your god (that clearly you got out of thin air) to Santa Claus because you are implying he allows everyone into your version of heaven, regardless of what they may have done on earth. I find your god to ...[text shortened]... .

On the contrary, I have read the Bible, but I do admit I don't have a photographic memory.
I never said everyone is allowed into heaven. I say for the third time to a person who does not actually read posts, if I were making the rules just about everyone would be roasting in hell.

Who gets into heaven, that is who gets eternal life with God is up to God, and our life here on Earth should not be dictated by who gets this gift (for it isn't a reward as it is often described) and who does not. I try to live my life with the assumption that I am not destined to recieve that gift. I offer myself to God. What he does with me is up to Him.

Oh, and the concepts of "weak" and "spineless" are human concepts. You can call me these things and there will be a good chance of angering me and provoking a response. You call the one and only true God these things and there is not effect. Only hot air.

... --- ...

The Apologist

Moves
02 Mar 05

Originally posted by thesonofsaul
I never said everyone is allowed into heaven. I say for the third time to a person who does not actually read posts, if I were making the rules just about everyone would be roasting in hell.

Who gets into heaven, that is who gets eternal life with God is up to God, and our life here on Earth should not be dictated by who gets this gift (for it isn ...[text shortened]... ll the one and only true God these things and there is not effect. Only hot air.

... --- ...
How do you back up your claim that he is the one and only true god? I mean, I can claim a pink monkey is the same, but I need something backing me up...a sacred text perhaps?

t
King of the Ashes

Trying to rise ....

Moves
02 Mar 05

How do you back up your claim that he is the one and only true god? I mean, I can claim a pink monkey is the same, but I need something backing me up...a sacred text perhaps?
I can't. By my definition of God there can't be another, but I can't back up my definition. That is what faith is for--the confidence gained by opening youself up to God. Faith makes you whole, not a man-made very not-sacred paper religion prop. If you need something backing you up, perhaps your doubt is too great? Good luck to you and your pink monkey.

... --- ...

The Apologist

Moves
02 Mar 05

Originally posted by thesonofsaul
I can't. By my definition of God there can't be another, but I can't back up my definition. That is what faith is for--the confidence gained by opening youself up to God. Faith makes you whole, not a man-made very not-sacred paper religion prop. If you need something backing you up, perhaps your doubt is too great? Good luck to you and your pink monkey.

... --- ...
My faith in God is not blind, as is the faith in your god. Which is a good thing, because God didn't ask for blind faith.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
02 Mar 05

Originally posted by vistesd
Well, I was just getting my first caffeine jump-start after a late night when I read your post the first time….

Based on our discussions in several threads, I think I now see—have a fuller picture of—where you’re coming from. I’m going to over-simplify it greatly (because your viewpoint is not simplistic) to put it into my own words, just to see if I’ve ...[text shortened]... he shoulders” position—for me it’s existentially real), and I won’t repeat it here.

Stephen
3) Your particular understanding and beliefs—and faith-stance— also do not “produce” grace for you; they simply provide what someone called, I think, the “assurance of grace.” You offer that assurance to others, but you neither insist, nor dismiss them if their assurance comes from a different cluster of understandings and beliefs.

As long as the cluster of understanding has Jesus Christ as Savior
I'd say you pretty much nailed my beliefs down very well. I do not
believe Jesus is going to sort out His own with a check list on things
we need to have believed in properly, like the age of the earth. If
we have a relationship with Him, all the other stuff will work
themselves out one way or another.
Kelly

Hmmm . . .

Moves
02 Mar 05

Originally posted by KellyJay
[b]3) Your particular understanding and beliefs—and faith-stance— also do not “produce” grace for you; they simply provide what someone called, I think, the “assurance of grace.” You offer that assurance to others, but you neither insist, nor dismiss them if their assurance comes from a different cluster of understandings and beliefs.

As long as the ...[text shortened]... relationship with Him, all the other stuff will work
themselves out one way or another.
Kelly[/b]
Understood. Thanks, Kelly.

h

Cosmos

Moves
03 Mar 05

Uh, thank you, Mister?

You know nothing about me. You know nothing about who I am or where I'm from. Don't presume to. I'm paying for college myself, I'm no "armchair" anything.

And yes, there are just Christians and non-Christians. I'm sorry I don't conform to your uber-tolerant belief system. It's a shortcoming of mine to put God's belief and goals above that of my neighbors.
"It's a shortcoming of mine to put God's belief and goals above that of my neighbors."

Here is the REAL problem with religious beliefs. Believers subvert the rights of other people beneath their faith in God. The Al-Zahawee (or whatever his name is) supporters believed that removing the infidels' heads with knives was justified because Allah wanted them to do it.
Suicide bombers believe that it is fine to kill 'unimportant' people for the greater good that is their God.

When you consider that nearly 100 posts have been added to this thread and hardly any have addressed the original post, and not one of them has refuted my claim, one can see the narrow mindedness of religious believers. They do not want to critically analyse their belief system and this is obviously dangerous for any belief system.

They have swallowed the lie, hook, line and sinker and are not capable of admitting their mistake.

The Apologist

Moves
03 Mar 05

Originally posted by howardgee
"It's a shortcoming of mine to put God's belief and goals above that of my neighbors."

Here is the REAL problem with religious beliefs. Believers subvert the rights of other people beneath their faith in God. The Al-Zahawee (or whatever his name is) supporters believed that removing the infidels' heads with knives was justified because Allah want ...[text shortened]... ave swallowed the lie, hook, line and sinker and are not capable of admitting their mistake.
I think the term "bigot" is rightfully applied to you.

You, like many other atheists, believe that because my views differ from yours, I must be gullible or stupid. That is the height of arrogance.

By the way, Christians do not behead people and our God (Jesus Christ) does not advocate violence, so the analogy is poor.

h

Cosmos

Moves
03 Mar 05

I think the term "bigot" is rightfully applied to you.

You, like many other atheists, believe that because my views differ from yours, I must be gullible or stupid. That is the height of arrogance.

By the way, Christians do not behead people and our God (Jesus Christ) does not advocate violence, so the analogy is poor.
You are stupid, because you have already admitted that you put the wants of your god above those of real people.
You consider the desires of a being who you have never experienced directly above the wants of existing individuals.

How dumb can you get?

The Apologist

Moves
03 Mar 05

You are stupid, because you have already admitted that you put the wants of your god above those of real people.
You consider the desires of a being who you have never experienced directly above the wants of existing individuals.

How dumb can you get?
That is your belief that I do not experience Him. I experience Him on a daily basis.

h

Cosmos

Moves
03 Mar 05

The Apologist

Moves
03 Mar 05

h

Cosmos

Moves
03 Mar 05

Your hatred is unfounded.
I don't hate you; I ridicule you.

Why should I respect you who would consider the wishes of a non-existent God above a real person such as myself?

The Apologist

Moves
03 Mar 05

I don't hate you; I ridicule you.

Why should I respect you who would consider the wishes of a non-existent God above a real person such as myself?
Do you honestly think that you repeating that He doesn't exist makes it so?

Arguing by repetition stopped being persuasive on my 7th birthday.

h

Cosmos

Moves
04 Mar 05

Do you honestly think that you repeating that He doesn't exist makes it so?

Arguing by repetition stopped being persuasive on my 7th birthday.
...but enough people have repeatedly told you that the bible is the word of God, and you unquestioningly accept that now!