1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 05:33
    It's generally accepted that babies or small children are exempt from hell. But what about an eight year old? Can an eight year old burn in hell for eternity, according to God?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 05:41
    The Limbo of the Infants is supposedly in Hell but it's not a place of torment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limbo#Limbo_of_Infants
  3. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 06:10
    Originally posted by vivify
    It's generally accepted that babies or small children are exempt from hell. But what about an eight year old? Can an eight year old burn in hell for eternity, according to God?
    Only if they have a super, duper magicky "Get Out of Hell" card. 🙄🙄
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 08:401 edit
    Don't you have more important things to ponder?
  5. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 08:501 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Don't you have more important things to ponder?
    Maybe it's just me, but I think sending young children to hell to torture them for all eternity is quite important...
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 11:36
    vivify, there are three definitive issues: Age of Accountability (volition functioning); God Consciousness
    (varies by pristine and technologically advanced societies); and God's Attribute of Justice (He's fair).
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 11:51
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    vivify, there are three definitive issues: Age of Accountability (volition functioning); God Consciousness
    (varies by pristine and technologically advanced societies); and God's Attribute of Justice (He's fair).
    Well done, for looking like you are answering the question without
    actually answering the question...

CAN an 8 year old burn in hell for eternity?

If yes. then your god is evil.

If no, then what age IS old enough to get an eternity of torture?

If you don't know... How can you worship a god when you don't
    know whether or not they torture children for eternity?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 12:52

vivify, how are you at finishing longer posts ? If I write some things to your question would you finish reading it to the end ?
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 14:29
    I would be very interested in getting some supporting references from the Bible which says that children burn in hell for all eternity; in fact anyone for that matter burn in hell for all eternity. This is a misconception which many people have of what eternal punishment means.

I will get the ball rolling here. The Bible says that certain evil beings will be punished in the lake of fire :

Rev 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Is says the Devil, Beast and False Prophet are tormented for ever and ever. Many translations render 'for ever and ever' as 'an era' or 'an age'. Most people dont realise how difficult it is to fathom the concept of'eternity and many places in the Bible that speaks of eternity or everlasting or for ever are actually referring to a period or era.

Another passage says:

Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

So someone has to show that they actually know whose names are not written in the book of life, whether children are included or not.
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 16:36
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Well done, for looking like you are answering the question without
    actually answering the question...

CAN an 8 year old burn in hell for eternity?

If yes. then your god is evil.

If no, then what age IS old enough to get an eternity of torture?

If you don't know... How can you worship a god when you don't
    know whether or not they torture children for eternity?
    His words are usually as clear as mud.
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 19:47
    Originally posted by sonship

vivify, how are you at finishing longer posts ? If I write some things to your question would you finish reading it to the end ?
    How long does a post need to be in order to answer this question? Isn't my question simple enough?
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 19:57
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    I would be very interested in getting some supporting references from the Bible which says that children burn in hell for all eternity; in fact anyone for that matter burn in hell for all eternity. This is a misconception which many people have of what eternal punishment means.

I will get the ball rolling here. The Bible says that certain evil beings will ...[text shortened]... ally know whose names are not written in the book of life, whether children are included or not.
    Oh, boy, this thread again.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 20:16
    Just a guess here, but the Jewish coming of age markers are 13 for boys and 12 for girls. This is when they have their Bar Mitzvah and Bat Mitzvah celebrations. I would guess that before this, they would be considered an 'innocent', and not an adult yet. The Bar Mitzvah ceremony was not in place during Biblical times, but the age of 13 is mentioned in the Talmud.

I'm going with the Jewish coming of age because the Hebrews are really the only 'chosen' people that God bothered to set down any laws for (in the OT, anyways).
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 20:21
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Maybe it's just me, but I think sending young children to hell to torture them for all eternity is [b]quite important...[/b]
    Well, I don't plan on sending my children to hell for any reason.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Dec '13 20:22
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Just a guess here, but the Jewish coming of age markers are 13 for boys and 12 for girls. This is when they have their Bar Mitzvah and Bat Mitzvah celebrations. I would guess that before this, they would be considered an 'innocent', and not an adult yet. The Bar Mitzvah ceremony was not in place during Biblical times, but the age of 13 is mentioned in th ...[text shortened]... really the only 'chosen' people that God bothered to set down any laws for (in the OT, anyways).
    Seems like a good guess to me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree