Favorite novels

Favorite novels

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
04 Aug 09

Originally posted by Wulebgr
The liquor and guns must be locked tight when you start reading; he can be more depressing that Derrick Jensen.
Worse than Beckett?

W
Angler

River City

Moves
04 Aug 09

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Worse than Beckett?
I suspect so; although being of a somewhat diseased mind, I find both rather cheery, and make it a habit during such reading to be well soused and have plenty of loaded weapons about.

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
05 Aug 09

Saw the middle one. Chilling. How does it compare to the book?
It parallels it quite well. There is also a movie of All the Pretty Horses...movie wasn't too hot. That book is part of The Border Trilogy.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
05 Aug 09

I suspect so; although being of a somewhat diseased mind, I find both rather cheery, and make it a habit during such reading to be well soused and have plenty of loaded weapons about.
True, Beckett is a comic writer. Perhaps Cioran is closer to the mark.

Is McCarthy relentlessly humourless or is there a vein of humour darkly glinting there? I suspect so from the film I saw.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
08 Aug 09

True, Beckett is a comic writer. Perhaps Cioran is closer to the mark.

Is McCarthy relentlessly humourless or is there a vein of humour darkly glinting there? I suspect so from the film I saw.
Just found my tattered copy of The Crossing, not tattered by my reading, but by the one that gave it to me because he found it too bleak. Perhaps I'll read it and get back to you.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
09 Aug 09

Read a few pages of The Crossing yesterday. No humor in the first few pages, but perhaps some dark comedy in the situation with the Indian and the two boys.

The writing is terrific. Most of the authors mentioned in this thread are not worthy to stand in the same room as Cormac McCarthy.

D
incipit parodia

Moves
09 Aug 09

Five off the top of my head: Don Delillo White Noise, JG Ballard The Atrocity Exhibition, Iain Banks The Wasp Factory, Michel Houellebecq Atomised, Tom McCarthy Remainder.

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
13 Aug 09

My favourite novel is

A Perfect Spy by John Le Carre.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
14 Aug 09

Originally posted by DrKF
Five off the top of my head: Don Delillo White Noise, JG Ballard The Atrocity Exhibition, Iain Banks The Wasp Factory, Michel Houellebecq Atomised, Tom McCarthy Remainder.
Of Iain Banks I've read only Saturday. It was good enough to encourage more.

P

weedhopper

Moves
14 Aug 09

There aren't many good non-fiction books in the world, but I'll try:

Animal Farm
Atlas Shrugged
The Sirens of Titan
Tunnel in the Sky
The Jungle Book

W
Angler

River City

Moves
15 Aug 09

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
There aren't many good non-fiction books in the world, but I'll try:

Animal Farm
Atlas Shrugged
The Sirens of Titan
Tunnel in the Sky
The Jungle Book
None of these are non-fiction.

C
Don't Fear Me

Reaping

Moves
15 Aug 09
1 edit

I waded through Atlas Shrugged, which is far better writing than The Anthem, which has as its only virtue its brevity--my son and I both read his copy on the flight from Spokane to Denver when his teacher assigned the text in a senior literature class. I won't go into the absurdity of spending three weeks on this brief tract.

Ayn Rand's book nd her politics reprehensible, what reason do I have for diving into The Fountainhead?
Nope but so actually Anthem is the only decent thing Ayn Rand wrote; I loved The Fountainhead in high school but find it kind of silly now, I haven't read We The Living and Atlas Shrugged is the reason why we have the phrase TL;DR.

@OP:

Some of my favourite novels include "ZAMM" (if we've decided it's a novel); its sequel, "Lila"; both of David Foster Wallace's novels ("The Broom of the System" is more straight-up entertaining and in some ways more ballsy, while from a variety of potential points of view "Infinite Jest" is the most amazing prose-chunk of any sort I've read); Neal Stephenson's "The Big U" and "Zodiac"; the novel by Jonathan Swift whose TL;DR title is often shortened to "Gulliver's Travels".

P

weedhopper

Moves
15 Aug 09

None of these are non-fiction.
My bad. The topic was "Favorite Novels:, and I shoulda said there aren't many good NOVELS out there.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
16 Aug 09

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
My bad. The topic was "Favorite Novels:, and I shoulda said there aren't many good NOVELS out there.
Or no good fiction, unless you find short stories better than novels.

P

weedhopper

Moves
18 Aug 09

Or no good fiction, unless you find short stories better than novels.
True. Precious little good fiction of any kind exists.