Favorite novels

Favorite novels

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
Don't Fear Me

Reaping

Moves
18 Aug 09
2 edits

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
That I find hard to answer. Much like why I like squash but not zucchini. And as I said in a previous post, if the book is fiction, but is based of fact/history--such as a theory about the JFK assassination, or a book that explored what might have happened had the American Revolution failed, I would probably like those.
I'm confused. Suppose, for example, that a young Petersburgian drunk on his own ego had murdered a miserly old woman with an axe, IRL, but you were unaware of this when your teacher made you read "Crime and Punishment". Suppose that, upon finishing the novel and presumably not liking it, your teacher told you about the historical axe murderer. Would you suddenly change your opinion of "Crime and Punishment"?

EDIT Suppose (and this is not so far-fetched), that your other teacher in high school, your history teacher, had taught you stuff that completely failed to reflect actual past events (whatever that even means). Assuming you believed your history teacher's account, would you be interested in historical novels structured around the (fabricated) events that your history teacher had taught you? If you found out that your history teacher had lied, would your opinion of the 'historical' novels suddenly change?

C
Don't Fear Me

Reaping

Moves
19 Aug 09

Originally posted by Wulebgr
The Wall is largely derivative of Tommy, while The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking is wholly original material.
This is an interesting point. How many times must something be retold for it to be historical enough that any subsequent stories are enjoyable to PinkFloyd? Would PinkFloyd find New Testament fanfiction interesting? Is this question, based as it is on a hypothetical, already a boring one?

S

Moves
19 Aug 09

Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
It's having Mother wait up until you get in and always find out where you've been.
Strangely, I have been listening to that only recently, whilst contemplating whether families are worth the trouble.

S

Moves
19 Aug 09

This is an interesting point. How many times must something be retold for it to be historical enough that any subsequent stories are enjoyable to PinkFloyd? Would PinkFloyd find New Testament fanfiction interesting? Is this question, based as it is on a hypothetical, already a boring one?
I recall our discussion on the difference between innovation and invention in the creative mind...

...whilst drinking heavily in Waterloo.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
19 Aug 09

... And as I said in a previous post, if the book is fiction, but is based of fact/history--such as a theory about the JFK assassination,...
I enjoyed Don DeLillo's Libra

C
Don't Fear Me

Reaping

Moves
19 Aug 09

Originally posted by Starrman
I recall our discussion on the difference between innovation and invention in the creative mind...

...whilst drinking heavily in Waterloo.
"whilst drinking heavily in Waterloo" doesn't really narrow down the pool of our discussions, but I know the one you mean. I had something related in mind for this thread, actually, if PinkFloyd is game for answering these and other questions.

P

weedhopper

Moves
19 Aug 09

What's home training and what are the positives of it that others lack?

Also, if you find both the stories of Pink Floyd and the escapism of D&D enjoyable, what is it about the story telling process you do not enjoy when it is present in fictional novels?
Home training is a term that means "a good upbringing"; one with home training is polite, civil, and courteous to others, and does not denigrate them with posts about their lack of imagination (or anything else).

Furthermore, when someone is discourteous to me, I make it a point to cease discourse with them.

P

weedhopper

Moves
19 Aug 09

I'm confused. Suppose, for example, that a young Petersburgian drunk on his own ego had murdered a miserly old woman with an axe, IRL, but you were unaware of this when your teacher made you read "Crime and Punishment". Suppose that, upon finishing the novel and presumably not liking it, your teacher told you about the historical axe murderer. Would ...[text shortened]... history teacher had lied, would your opinion of the 'historical' novels suddenly change?
I can see those things as statistically possible, though I would say it is far-fetched. I never took a teacher's word for anything--history included. In South Carolina public schools, one better adopt that philosophy, or your high school education will mean bupkus.

P

weedhopper

Moves
19 Aug 09

The Wall is largely derivative of Tommy, while The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking is wholly original material.
I don't see a lot of similarity between the 2, but I do like Tommy. I find Amused to Death to be the best solo album Waters has done.

P

weedhopper

Moves
19 Aug 09

Try Roger Zelazny
The friend who introduced me to Vonnegut and Heinlein also mentioned that I might like Zelazny. He also recommended Philip K Dick, but I haven't read anything by either of them yet. Perhaps after I wrap up the two I'm on now .

S

Moves
19 Aug 09

Home training is a term that means "a good upbringing"; one with home training is polite, civil, and courteous to others, and does not denigrate them with posts about their lack of imagination (or anything else).

Furthermore, when someone is discourteous to me, I make it a point to cease discourse with them.
If you break off discourse with them immediately, how can you ever learn whether what they are saying is interesting/important, or whether, despite their lack of civility, they might be right (not intending to specify this conversation)?

Anyway, civility is overrated, such things lead to a life full of mediocre experiences and untroubling actions. A gradient is necessary to make the most out of life. I'd hazard a guess that your world view and your likes and dislikes towards literature go somewhat hand in hand.

This post is not designed to be discourteous.

S

Moves
19 Aug 09

"whilst drinking heavily in Waterloo" doesn't really narrow down the pool of our discussions, but I know the one you mean. I had something related in mind for this thread, actually, if PinkFloyd is game for answering these and other questions.
Then you admit you were wrong?....😉

C
Don't Fear Me

Reaping

Moves
19 Aug 09

Then you admit you were wrong?....😉
Probably.

C
Don't Fear Me

Reaping

Moves
19 Aug 09

This post is not designed to be discourteous.
"is not a meme" is a meme.
"is a meme" is not a meme.

C
Don't Fear Me

Reaping

Moves
19 Aug 09
1 edit

I can see those things as statistically possible, though I would say it is far-fetched. I never took a teacher's word for anything--history included. In South Carolina public schools, one better adopt that philosophy, or your high school education will mean bupkus.
Sure, that's true of high school everywhere, but it's not really what I'm driving at. What if you heard about the axe murder from some other "historical" novel instead of from a teacher, and the rest of the question is the same? The statistical possibility isn't important here; I'm asking you to assume these scenarios because I think your answers would help me understand your taste in fiction, which to me is interesting (novel, even 😉).