Favorite novels

Favorite novels

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
Don't Fear Me

Reaping

Moves
18 Aug 09

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
True. Precious little good fiction of any kind exists.
This is a lame excuse for not having looked hard enough.

P

weedhopper

Moves
18 Aug 09

Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
This is a lame excuse for not having looked hard enough.
Puhleeeze! "Looked hard enough?" My teachers over the years looked plenty hard enough, and came up with Ethan Frome, Bridge of San Luis Rey, House of 7 Gables, Huck Finn & Tom Sawyer, Lord of the Rings Trilogy + 1, Scarlet Letter, Gone with the Wind, Red Badge of Courage, Ulysses, Far from the Madding Crown, Urban Jungle, Great Expectations, Call of the Wild, Canterbury Tales, ....shall I go on? All of these lacked an essential element for me that makes reading enjoyable: they were made up stories ! For me, it was like reading The 3 Little Pigs, or a Spiderman comic.

You're yet another crude, crass insulting individual who seems to get joy from putting others down. I don't demean your taste in books or anything else. I demand the same treatment in kind.

S

Moves
18 Aug 09

Puhleeeze! "Looked hard enough?" My teachers over the years looked plenty hard enough, and came up with Ethan Frome, Bridge of San Luis Rey, House of 7 Gables, Huck Finn & Tom Sawyer, Lord of the Rings Trilogy + 1, Scarlet Letter, Gone with the Wind, Red Badge of Courage, Ulysses, Far from the Madding Crown, Urban Jungle, Great Expectations, Call of the ...[text shortened]... I don't demean your taste in books or anything else. I demand the same treatment in kind.
😴

If you truly do not enjoy fiction of any kind, I can only feel pity for you, deep pity. You must lack any imagination, or the ability to derive pleasure from it.

C
Don't Fear Me

Reaping

Moves
18 Aug 09

Puhleeeze! "Looked hard enough?" My teachers over the years looked plenty hard enough, and came up with Ethan Frome, Bridge of San Luis Rey, House of 7 Gables, Huck Finn & Tom Sawyer, Lord of the Rings Trilogy + 1, Scarlet Letter, Gone with the Wind, Red Badge of Courage, Ulysses, Far from the Madding Crown, Urban Jungle, Great Expectations, Call of the ...[text shortened]... I don't demean your taste in books or anything else. I demand the same treatment in kind.
I'm not demeaning your taste in books. If you only read the fiction teachers gave you, it's understandable that you wouldn't like fiction. I'm kind of curious about what constitutes "made up" and why it affects your enjoyment of what you read.

D
incipit parodia

Moves
18 Aug 09

I'm curious: you say that 'precious little good fiction of any kind exists', which kind of suggests that at least some good fiction does exist.

Since your main problem with fiction appears to be precisely what makes fiction fiction - that it is 'made up stories' - I wonder what it is about the 'precious little' fiction you do think worthwhile that overcomes the, ahem, handicap, of being 'made up'?

W
Angler

River City

Moves
18 Aug 09
1 edit

True. Precious little good fiction of any kind exists.
What are looking for in fiction that you cannot find?

The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking, Radio KAOS, and The Wall are fiction set to music.

P

weedhopper

Moves
18 Aug 09

Originally posted by Wulebgr
What are looking for in fiction that you cannot find?

The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking, Radio KAOS, and The Wall are fiction set to music.
I'm not forn of the first 2 albums you listed, but I do like The Wall, because it reminds me of a historical novel--there are a lot of factual, historical information in there.

P

weedhopper

Moves
18 Aug 09

Originally posted by DrKF
I'm curious: you say that 'precious little good fiction of any kind exists', which kind of suggests that at least some good fiction does exist.

Since your main problem with fiction appears to be precisely what makes fiction fiction - that it is 'made up stories' - I wonder what it is about the 'precious little' fiction you do think worthwhile that overcomes the, ahem, handicap, of being 'made up'?
I think the answer is that the fiction I HAVE read and enjoyed takes a historical period or factual situatioon and asks "what if" history had taken a different path. I think some call these historical novels, but I'm not sure. The Guns of the South was pretty good, and it was fiction.

P

weedhopper

Moves
18 Aug 09

I'm not demeaning your taste in books. If you only read the fiction teachers gave you, it's understandable that you wouldn't like fiction. I'm kind of curious about what constitutes "made up" and why it affects your enjoyment of what you read.
That I find hard to answer. Much like why I like squash but not zucchini. And as I said in a previous post, if the book is fiction, but is based of fact/history--such as a theory about the JFK assassination, or a book that explored what might have happened had the American Revolution failed, I would probably like those.

P

weedhopper

Moves
18 Aug 09

Originally posted by Starrman
😴

If you truly do not enjoy fiction of any kind, I can only feel pity for you, deep pity. You must lack any imagination, or the ability to derive pleasure from it.
I love to play D&D, so I must have SOME degree of imagination. I'm happy to accept your pity, and I raise you a double portion of pity. I always feel sorry for people who have had no home training and insist on putting other people down and/or bullying them. You keep your ability to derive pleasure from fiction; I'll be content with having friends who accept me as I am.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
18 Aug 09

I think the answer is that the fiction I HAVE read and enjoyed takes a historical period or factual situatioon and asks "what if" history had taken a different path. I think some call these historical novels, but I'm not sure. The Guns of the South was pretty good, and it was fiction.
Try Roger Zelazny

S

Moves
18 Aug 09
1 edit

I love to play D&D, so I must have SOME degree of imagination. I'm happy to accept your pity, and I raise you a double portion of pity. I always feel sorry for people who have had no home training and insist on putting other people down and/or bullying them. You keep your ability to derive pleasure from fiction; I'll be content with having friends who accept me as I am.
What's home training and what are the positives of it that others lack?

Also, if you find both the stories of Pink Floyd and the escapism of D&D enjoyable, what is it about the story telling process you do not enjoy when it is present in fictional novels?

C
Don't Fear Me

Reaping

Moves
18 Aug 09

Originally posted by Starrman
What's home training and what are the positives of it that others lack?
It's having Mother wait up until you get in and always find out where you've been.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
18 Aug 09

It's having Mother wait up until you get in and always find out where you've been.
Please use quote marks to avoid plagiarism.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
18 Aug 09

I'm not forn of the first 2 albums you listed, but I do like The Wall, because it reminds me of a historical novel--there are a lot of factual, historical information in there.
The Wall is largely derivative of Tommy, while The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking is wholly original material.