Favorite novels

Favorite novels

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
30 Jul 09

Originally posted by Starrman
Herbert, Tolkein, Catch 22, Number 9 Dream, Feersum Endjinn, Excession, Against a Dark Background, Night's Dawn Trilogy, Anything by Kundera (especially Immortality), His Dark Materials series (100 times better than Harry Potter), Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Henderson The Rain King, and strangely The Nichomachean Ethics is something I still like flicking through once in a awhile.
Wow! Saul Bellow and Robert Pirsig!!

s

Moves
30 Jul 09

i served the king of england- hrabal
the adventures of huckleberry finn- twain
notes from underground- dostoevsky
sound and the fury- faulkner
franny and zooey- salinger
blood meridian- mcCarthy
lolita- nabokov
we- zamyatin

And I agree, there really are so many- and so many to argue about.

J

Moves
31 Jul 09

lets see:
to kill a mockingbird- harper lee
the road- cormac mccarthy
of mice and men- john steinbeck
the bell jar- sylvia plath

Hy-Brasil

Moves
31 Jul 09

Originally posted by JawsRocks
lets see:
to kill a mockingbird- harper lee
the road- cormac mccarthy
of mice and men- john steinbeck
the bell jar- sylvia plath
I love to kill a mocking bird

S

Moves
31 Jul 09

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Wow! Saul Bellow [b]and Robert Pirsig!![/b]
Saul Bellow is teh shizznit!

s

At the Revolution

Moves
31 Jul 09

Originally posted by Starrman
Saul Bellow is teh shizznit!
That's a pretty annoying avatar you got there ...

S

Moves
31 Jul 09

Originally posted by scherzo
That's a pretty annoying avatar you got there ...
Thanks.

Moves
31 Jul 09

hmm...

I read The Exorcist about 1973 or 74. Scariest book I ever read at the time, but as I've become older and jaded (and wiser) I've never gone back to it because it'll never be as scary as when I was 13 or 14. It'd be quite boring to read, in fact.

I was working at my first job in 1978 and picked up a copy of The World According To Garp. At the time it was a great read, very dark and funny. I tried reading it again 11 years later and I couldn't; My life experiences and circumstances had changed me so much that I couldn't get through it.

The Ring trilogy and The Hobbit are eternal.

I hardly ever read fiction, and haven't read much in the past 20 or more years that isn't non-fiction. I picked up the first Harry Potter back in 2000 or so and have read them and for the most part enjoyed them. I also went to a matinee of Stardust and they handed out a copy of the book so I read that...Stardust the book is different from Stardust the movie but I think it's the first time I really liked movie and book on their own terms equally.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
01 Aug 09
1 edit

Watership Down
Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit
Foundation trilogy
Earth abides
Dune series

These I could name off the top of my head.
Kelly

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
01 Aug 09

Fight Club

C
Strategos

Ancient Greece

Moves
02 Aug 09

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

W
Angler

River City

Moves
02 Aug 09

Originally posted by utherpendragon
I love to kill a mocking bird
Why?

I could not read this book. It seemed to me that the characters were wooden and the writing stiff. The storyline was plausible and heartwarming, and it helped a lot of white people to join in the cause of racial justice. But, I've begun to think that its popularity ultimately stems from legions of white high school English teachers finding it more compatible to their interests and ideologies than much better writing about the South, and race relations in the North and West, too, by African American writers. Ernest Gaines, for example, and Alice Walker, Ralph Ellison, Chester Himes, James Baldwin, and many others threatened the status quo in ways that made Harper Lee safe.

S

Moves
03 Aug 09

Why?

I could not read this book. It seemed to me that the characters were wooden and the writing stiff. The storyline was plausible and heartwarming, and it helped a lot of white people to join in the cause of racial justice. But, I've begun to think that its popularity ultimately stems from legions of white high school English teachers finding it more co ...[text shortened]... es, James Baldwin, and many others threatened the status quo in ways that made Harper Lee safe.
Agreed, gee, we have something else in common.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
03 Aug 09

Why?
The children's point of view is handled pretty well. Boo Radley, that sort of thing.

I read it ages ago, I was surprised to like it, can't recall too many details but it definitely engaged the emotions.

Hy-Brasil

Moves
03 Aug 09

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
The children's point of view is handled pretty well. Boo Radley, that sort of thing.

I read it ages ago, I was surprised to like it, can't recall too many details but it definitely engaged the emotions.
I enjoyed the characters as well and her writing style. The racial element has nothing to do w/it as far as I am concerned in enjoying the book.