Five most influential rock musicians?

Five most influential rock musicians?

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K

Germany

Moves
11 May 09

I'd say (in no particular order):

- Chuck Berry
- John Cale
- Brian Eno
- Michael Gira
- Frank Zappa

Any thoughts?

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
11 May 09

Originally posted by KazetNagorra

- Chuck Berry
- John Cale
- Brian Eno
- Michael Gira
- Frank Zappa

Any thoughts?
neil young

K

Germany

Moves
11 May 09

Originally posted by uzless
neil young
Hmm, maybe... Why Neil Young?

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
11 May 09
1 edit

You're asking for musicians. Does this exclude songwriting?

z

Moves
11 May 09

Hmm, maybe... Why Neil Young?
Bcause he keeps going and stays true to his ideals.

K

Germany

Moves
11 May 09

Originally posted by badmoon
You're asking for musicians. Does this exclude songwriting?
No.

z

Moves
11 May 09

- Chuck Berry
- John Cale
- Brian Eno
- Michael Gira
- Frank Zappa

Any thoughts?
It all depends. The 'influential rock musicians' were themselves influenced. Often, it is not an individual, but a group. So, if you ask me:

The Beatles and the Rolling Stones
The Great Society
The Doors
Fairport Convention
Pink Floyd

S
The Mullverine

Little Beirut

Moves
11 May 09
1 edit

You really cannot talk about Rock without at least hitting on some blues artist like Robert Johnson(obviously), Skip James, John lee hooker, Muddy Waters. Some folkies like Guthrie. Some R&B like Ray Charles or James Brown. And even some Jazz Like Coltrane or Miles Davis. All of these musicians were well established icons before rock was an infant and you could not have rock without them. So my five would be:

R Johnson
JL Hooker
Guthrie
Ray Charles
Miles

Suicide Bishop

Moves
11 May 09

- Chuck Berry
- John Cale
- Brian Eno
- Michael Gira
- Frank Zappa

Any thoughts?
M. Gira seems a bit too obscure to be widely influential. What about Lou Reed, Bo Diddley, or Can?

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
11 May 09

Originally posted by StTito
You really cannot talk about Rock without at least hitting on some blues artist like Robert Johnson(obviously), Skip James, John lee hooker, Muddy Waters. Some folkies like Guthrie. Some R&B like Ray Charles or James Brown. And even some Jazz Like Coltrane or Miles Davis. All of these musicians were well established icons before rock was an infant and you cou ...[text shortened]... ave rock without them. So my five would be:

R Johnson
JL Hooker
Guthrie
Ray Charles
Miles
You can't talk about blues without booze, so maybe we should put Jack Daniel (of Jack Daniel's Tennessee whiskey fame) on the list. 😛

I think it's only fair to include rock musicians in a list of the most influential rock musicians. There are some definite borderline cases where an artist is associated with several different genres, but as long as they played rock at some point they should be eligible. If they didn't, they ain't.

My list:

Chuck Berry
Little Richard
Bill Haley
Elvis Presley
The Beatles

S
The Mullverine

Little Beirut

Moves
11 May 09

Originally posted by PBE6
You can't talk about blues without booze, so maybe we should put Jack Daniel (of Jack Daniel's Tennessee whiskey fame) on the list. 😛

I think it's only fair to include rock musicians in a list of the most influential [b]rock musicians
. There are some definite borderline cases where an artist is associated with several different genres, but as long as t ...[text shortened]... .

My list:

Chuck Berry
Little Richard
Bill Haley
Elvis Presley
The Beatles[/b]
What year is it? When did rock become so narrowly defined? I am just putting up the idea that rock would not be alive if not for the genres of the past. And a big hellsyeah for rock continuing to go back to it's former roots and not so obvious roots to continue the sound.

K

Germany

Moves
11 May 09
1 edit

Originally posted by rking00
M. Gira seems a bit too obscure to be widely influential. What about Lou Reed, Bo Diddley, or Can?
A bit obscure, perhaps, but only a few thousand people bought "The Velvet Underground & Nico" when it was released. Maybe he won't be so obscure in a decade or so, when more people realize the genius of SWANS. The list of genres inspired or (co-)created by SWANS is quite impressive: industrial (rock and metal), gothic rock, neofolk, post-rock, grindcore, ...

As for Lou Reed, I don't think so. You just have to compare the quality of the first two records of the VU to the last two to realize the decisive creative impact of John Cale. After the VU's collapse, Lou Reed made some decent singer-songwriter stuff (and that godawful Metal Machine Music), while John Cale's work was much more interesting. Also, Cale produced the debut records of the Stooges and the Modern Lovers, helping define punk rock. (though perhaps just mentioning the Velvet Underground as a whole would be better - after all, Moe Tucker's drumming style was influential as well)

As for Bo Diddley and Can - yeah, they are up there as well. Tago Mago is really a brilliant masterpiece. Though I should really check out more of Bo Diddley.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
11 May 09

The list of genres inspired or (co-)created by SWANS is quite impressive: industrial (rock and metal), gothic rock, neofolk, post-rock, grindcore, ...
lulz

K

Germany

Moves
11 May 09

Originally posted by Palynka
lulz
Hmm?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
11 May 09

Hmm?
Remove everything except grindcore and you might have a point. For all the rest, several bands preceded the Swans and were much more influential than them. If anything, the influence of the Swans is pretty marginal in those genres.

But the hyperbole in your statement already shows you're a blinkered fan, so I don't expect you to come to terms with reality.