Five most influential rock musicians?

Five most influential rock musicians?

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D
incipit parodia

Moves
27 May 09

Originally posted by Seitse
The Beatles suck big time.
'Nuff said.

g

Pepperland

Moves
27 May 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Seitse
The Beatles suck big time.
how many no1 singles have you got seitse?

I wonder how they achieved this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists#1_billion_records_or_more) considering they "sucked".

d

Moves
27 May 09

Originally posted by generalissimo

I wonder how they achieved this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists#1_billion_records_or_more) considering they "sucked".
Are you actually going to debate with him why the Beatles do not suck? Ha ha! I would advise against it. It might cause your head to explode. I know mine would.

PS - Using record sales is not a fruitful way of starting that debate out...

g

Pepperland

Moves
27 May 09

Originally posted by darvlay
Are you actually going to debate with him why the Beatles do not suck? Ha ha! I would advise against it. It might cause your head to explode. I know mine would.

PS - Using record sales is not a fruitful way of starting that debate out...
and Why not?

Using record sales is not a fruitful way of starting that debate out...

well, it raises the question why they were so successful even though they "sucked".

d

Moves
27 May 09
1 edit

and Why not?

[b]
Using record sales is not a fruitful way of starting that debate out...

well, it raises the question why they were so successful even though they "sucked".[/b]
Because I said so. Feel free to try it out for yourself though.

it raises the question why they were so successful even though they "sucked"

Every band or artist on that page can be deemed successful and certainly not all of them are enjoyable to my ears. Hell, if you yourself could sell only 10,000 albums I would call you a mild success.

Record Sales do not qualify a band as suck-free. Even the greatest bands have suckworthy moments.

^Everyone knows this.

g

Pepperland

Moves
27 May 09

Because I said so. Feel free to try it out for yourself though.

it raises the question why they were so successful even though they "sucked"

Every band or artist on that page can be deemed successful and certainly not all of them are enjoyable to my ears. Hell, if you yourself could sell only 10,000 albums I would call you a mild success.

R ...[text shortened]... band as suck-free. Even the greatest bands have suckworthy moments.

^Everyone knows this.
Because I said so

have you had bad experieces with seitse? did he make your head explode?

Record Sales do not qualify a band as suck-free. Even the greatest bands have suckworthy moments.

thats true, however labeling a band as suckers simply because of a few songs you didn't like isn't fair at all.

F

Moves
27 May 09
1 edit

Originally posted by DrKF
Tortoise are still going. [...] They have a new album out in a couple of weeks - I have an advance copy, and it's OK. I think they kind of lost it with their last one, 'It's All Around You', (which was very samey, and all sounded suspiciously like elevator music).
I've had a copy of Tortoise's new one for a couple of weeks and I rather like it. As for 'It's All Around You' I am not sure it got a second spin** because I can't really remember it and may now have to dig it out and give it one more having had my curiosity DrKF'd. Lots of pressure on albums here, a long unruly queue for my ears, with maybe 40 or more new albums a week laying claim!

** Earlier titles from Tortoise's catalogue I wore out I played them so many times.

d

Moves
27 May 09

Originally posted by FMF
with maybe 40 or more new albums a week laying claim!
That's just ludicrous!

F

Moves
27 May 09

however labeling a band as suckers simply because of a few songs you didn't like isn't fair at all.
I don't like Metallica. In fact they probably "suck" (have I used the word correctly?) They have sold squintillions of records. But I think they are rather bad. Am I being very very unfair?

F

Moves
27 May 09

That's just ludicrous!
Many of them are overlooked, ignored, trampled, waiting still.

d

Moves
27 May 09

[b]Because I said so

have you had bad experieces with seitse? did he make your head explode?

thats true, however labeling a band as suckers simply because of a few songs you didn't like isn't fair at all.[/b]
Yes. The plural on experience being the key modifier. Not just with debating but also trying to fing a spot for him to park his donkey when he comes over for a visit.

"Labeling a band as suckers simply because of a few songs you didn't like isn't fair at all."

Who cares about fair? This is subjectivity we're talking about.

d

Moves
27 May 09
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
I've had a copy of Tortoise's new one for a couple of weeks and I rather like it. As for 'It's All Around You' I am not sure it got a second spin** because I can't really remember it and may now have to dig it out and give it one more having had my curiosity DrKF'd. Lots of pressure on albums here, a long unruly queue for my ears, with maybe 40 or more new album ...[text shortened]... !

** Earlier titles from Tortoise's catalogue I wore out I played them so many times.
I got to meet John McEntire at a Sea and Cake show once. He was nice. His drumming is beyond exceptional and is mesmerizing to watch live. One of the few drumemrs that can aequatley carry being the centre of a live show.

EDIT - Wrong McEntire!

K

Germany

Moves
27 May 09
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
I mean even now, I still find it useful... Monument To Masses, Codes In The Clouds, Signal Hill, We Are Sheep Among Wolves, Florist, The Poison Arrows, Ptarmigan, Riceboy Sleeps, Pawa Up First, North America, The Flowers Of Hell, and on and on.

Back in the day? Mogwai, Tortoise, Explosions In The Sky, Sigur Ros, A Silver Mt. Zion, Bark Psychosis, Do Make Say ...[text shortened]... hink, etc. I saw Tortoise play in London in about 2000. Very good stuff. Plaid were the support.
Have you heard God is an Astronaut? Excellent stuff.

By the way, I don't know any of the bands in your first list.

Edit: Also, Trans Am are great and they usually get grouped along with post-rock bands, though they don't really sound alike.

K

Germany

Moves
27 May 09

High in that list are Celine Dion and Mariah Carey. Even if you do not think the Beatles suck (I do), surely you must agree those two suck and sales is not a good measure of quality?

K

Germany

Moves
27 May 09

Originally posted by FMF
I've had a copy of Tortoise's new one for a couple of weeks and I rather like it. As for 'It's All Around You' I am not sure it got a second spin** because I can't really remember it and may now have to dig it out and give it one more having had my curiosity DrKF'd. Lots of pressure on albums here, a long unruly queue for my ears, with maybe 40 or more new album ...[text shortened]... !

I got "Millions Now Living Will Never Die". Can't say I was overly impressed with it, but maybe I should give it another spin.