15 Jun '10
    Moves
    11 Apr '19 22:33
    @shavixmir said
    Hahaha

God FFing yes!!!

Brexit = the eye of Sauron.

Bloody nora.
    Britain shall diminish and go to the west, and remain....Insignificant.
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Apr '19 06:53
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I did:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3866574/one-year-after-the-brexit-referendum-how-osbornes-apocalyptic-economic-forecasts-have-almost-entirely-failed-to-come-true/

Unless of course, you are suggesting the newspaper concerned made it all up?!
    What newspaper? The Scum isn't a newspaper. If you want to know whether the Scum ever makes any disgusting slanders up just to sell more papers, ask anyone in Liverpool.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    12 Apr '19 07:55
    @shallow-blue said
    What newspaper? The Scum isn't a newspaper. If you want to know whether the Scum ever makes any disgusting slanders up just to sell more papers, ask anyone in Liverpool.
    The lead has fallen out of your pencil.

Shame.
  4. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Apr '19 11:16
    @kazetnagorra said
    "A Leave vote" refers to the consequences of that Leave vote (i.e. after Brexit actually happens). Perhaps the BBC journalist could have used better wording.
    Not true.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/524967/hm_treasury_analysis_the_immediate_economic_impact_of_leaving_the_eu_web.pdf

That document (note: an earlier analysis) did not consider the disruptive, short-term adjustment that would follow a vote to leave.

The analysis in this HM Treasury document quantifies the impact of that adjustment over the immediate period of two years following a vote to leave. Such a vote would trigger a redefinition not only of the UK’s economic relationship with the EU and the rest of the world, but also of much of the UK’s domestic economic policy, regulatory and legislative framework. A vote to leave would cause an immediate and profound economic shock creating instability and uncertainty which would be compounded by the complex and interdependent negotiations that would follow.

The central conclusion of the analysis is that the effect of this profound shock would be to push the UK into recession and lead to a sharp rise in unemployment.

Can we please put to rest the idea that the Treasury only promoted the impact after we had actually left. They prepared an analysis of the impact of a vote to leave, and it was this that was pushed endlessly in the run up to the referendum.
  5. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Apr '19 11:33
    @biffo-konker said
    That is pure undiluted codswallop. They were talking about after Brexit not just after the referendum result.
    See above link and post. It is you that is talking codswallop.
  6. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Apr '19 11:401 edit
    @shallow-blue said
    Read the report I have posted a link to, and then tell me where the Sun has made anything up. Looks a pretty accurate reflection of the predictions made.
  7. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Apr '19 11:47
    @biffo-konker said
    I was following the referendum as it happened but from several different news sources - not just the Tory press.
    I have looked at 'Publishing Treasury analysis' - it's a 201 page document and very complicated so I don't claim to have read it all in detail.But,even after a quick look it's easy to find the source of your '4300 pound worse off' quote. It states quite clear ...[text shortened]... quote
    'Annual impact of leaving the EU on the UK (difference from being in the EU after 15 years)'
    The quotes I have seen from Ghost do not come from this document. I have posted the link to the correct one.
  8. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    12 Apr '19 12:562 edits
    @Rank-outsider

This is what Ghost of a Duke posted on page 100 --

You have no recollection of the scaremongering about a plunging pound and soaring unemployment? (That we would be £4,300 worse off per family, that our stock markets would collapse etc).
    No recollection at all?

@biffo-konker said
    That is pure undiluted codswallop. They were talking about after Brexit not just after the referendum result.

@Rank-outsider
    See above link and post. It is you that is talking codswallop.

Thanks for the link. Here is a quote from it
    The analysis in the long-term document sets out a range for each alternative, with a central estimate that gross domestic product (GDP) would be £4,300 lower in 2015 terms for each household after 15 years and every year thereafter. 3 However, the impact of the transition effect would be considerably larger if the UK did not seek participation in the Single Market, as would be the case if it fell back on World Trade Organization (WTO) membership.
  9. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    12 Apr '19 13:49
    Daily Telegraph forced to correct false Brexit claim by Boris Johnson

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/12/daily-telegraph-forced-correct-false-brexit-claim-boris-johnson

Poor old Boris, will he ever learn? Got fired from the Times for making up quotes and now this.
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    12 Apr '19 14:04
    @rank-outsider said
    Read the report I have posted a link to, and then tell me where the Sun has made anything up. Looks a pretty accurate reflection of the predictions made.
    Thanks.

A knockout blow.
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Apr '19 14:22
    @rank-outsider said
    Irrelevant. Honest people don't quote the Scum, not even on the one day of the year they don't print libel.
  12. Germany
    Moves
    12 Apr '19 14:44
    @rank-outsider said
    Not true.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/524967/hm_treasury_analysis_the_immediate_economic_impact_of_leaving_the_eu_web.pdf

[quote]That document (note: an earlier analysis) did not consider the disruptive, short-term adjustment that would follow a vote to leave.

The analysis in this HM Tre ...[text shortened]... f a vote to leave, and it was this that was pushed endlessly in the run up to the referendum.
    Clearly this Treasury analysis overestimated the immediate impact of the vote (likely intentionally so), although the vote did definitely cause some loss of jobs and economic contraction. One would have been wiser to consider the advice of independent experts instead.
  13. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Apr '19 14:534 edits
    @biffo-konker said
    @Rank-outsider

This is what Ghost of a Duke posted on page 100 --

You have no recollection of the scaremongering about a plunging pound and soaring unemployment? (That we would be £4,300 worse off per family, that our stock markets would collapse etc).
    No recollection at all?

@biffo-konker said
    That is pure undiluted codswallop. They were talking abou ...[text shortened]... he Single Market, as would be the case if it fell back on World Trade Organization (WTO) membership.
    The first two things Ghost mentions is the plunging pound and unemployment. These are references to the document I linked to and were a reference to the short-term impact of a vote to leave.

You, for your own reasons, are selectively focusing on the bit he put in brackets, which is normal punctuation to denote a point of lesser relevance, or an aside etc.

Your dismissal of his views as codswallop, on the basis that these related to long-term impacts of actually leaving, was wrong and you should admit it.
  14. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    12 Apr '19 15:06
    @rank-outsider said
    The first two things Ghost mentions is the plunging pound and unemployment. These are references to the document I linked to and were a reference to the short-term impact of a vote to leave.

You, for your own reasons, are selectively focusing on the bit he put in brackets, which is normal punctuation to denote a point of lesser relevance, or an aside etc.

Your ...[text shortened]... asis that these related to long-term impacts of actually leaving, was wrong and you should admit it.
    I already dealt with the plunging pound in this post which ghost ignored-

'The pound’s 8-percent fall against the dollar on June 24 was its biggest one-day fall since the era of free-floating exchange rates was introduced in the early 1970s, Reuters data shows. That loss has extended to as much as 13 percent since.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-markets-sterling/sterlings-post-brexit-fall-is-biggest-loss-in-a-hard-currency-idUSKCN0ZN1R0
  15. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    12 Apr '19 15:08
    Household incomes are around £1,500 a year lower today than forecasts made before the referendum vote.

https://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/brexit-cost-uk-taxpayers-household-economy-leave-eu-oecd-a8780306.html