Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    17 Oct '12 01:00
    I'm not going to live blog this one; I'll just post if anything strikes me as very interesting.

Let's get it on.
  2. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    17 Oct '12 01:19
    The President looks better but he's not answering the questions. On the college question, his answer was interesting, but was all over the map. On the question on whether the government should reduce gas prices, he's had two chances and is simply refusing to answer the question.

edit: Wow. Romney is in his face now. This tactic could backfire. Though it is interesting to note that the President still won't answer the question.
  3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    17 Oct '12 01:25 / 2 edits
    Now it's Romney's turn to dance as he doesn't want to be specific on eliminating deductions.

He's proposing a higher standard deduction rather than itemized deductions. That makes some sense, but will not play well politically.
  4. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    17 Oct '12 01:43
    Now it's just taking turns at spouting talking points.

I don't like this format.
  5. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    17 Oct '12 01:51
    Romney promised a balanced budget in his term? Really?
  6. 17 Oct '12 02:06
    Originally posted by sh76
    Now it's just taking turns at spouting talking points.

I don't like this format.
    I dont like the moderater doing follow up questions.
    I was under the impression that niether Obama or Romney wanted that to happen in this town hall debate.
    Maybe I'm wrong.
  7. 17 Oct '12 02:12
    It does not appear Romney is getting to interrupt and/or add additional responses, as much as he did in the first debate.
  8. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    17 Oct '12 02:20
    Romney flubs a softball on Benghazi. He had the right idea. What he should have said (and was probably trying to say) was "If you called it an act of terror one day later, why were you still calling it a demonstration 5 days later?"

But instead he muffed it.

That's the kind of blunder that loses elections.
  9. 17 Oct '12 02:22
    Originally posted by sh76
    Romney flubs a softball on Benghazi. He had the right idea. What he should have said (and was probably trying to say) was "If you called it an act of terror one day later, why were you still calling it a demonstration 5 days later?"

But instead he muffed it.

That's the kind of blunder that loses elections.
    agreed.
    He should of played that different.
  10. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    17 Oct '12 02:31
    After another loss on guns, Romney rebounds with a solid win on China.
  11. Standard member vivify
    rain
    17 Oct '12 02:48
    "Can you say that louder?" Line of the night.
  12. Standard member vivify
    rain
    17 Oct '12 02:52
    Second best quip of the night: Obama explained why gas was lower before he became president, was due to the worst recession in history, due to policies believed in by Romney. He then followed up with (paraphrase) "Romney could conceivably lower gas prices...because his policies would bring another recession."

Ouch.

The was an audible murmur of awe at that comment from the audience.
  13. 17 Oct '12 03:16
    Romney did ok tonight. He is a good debater. But the President won tonight, at least by a small amount. Yet, it does not erase the President's first debate which was a misjudgment on his part and will always be perceived as a negative (weakness) for the President. Kind of like Romney's 47% will always be perceived as a negative for Romney by most people, no matter what Faux News asserts. Though, the President did not negatively come across arrogant in the first debate, which is good..

With all this said, the fact remains that Romney is such a liar, and etch-a-sketch flip flopper with no core. An empty suit who would go extreme right and damage the economy, screw the working middle class, continue the GOP war on women, more likely take us to war, and so on.
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    17 Oct '12 03:17 / 1 edit
    Zingers aside, trying to be as objective as possible, I thought tonight was pretty close to a draw. MSNBC is celebrating an Obama win and the Fox panel is talking about a big Romney win. CNN is closer to the center.

I do think Candy Crowley helped give Obama the big moment on Libya. She tried to be objective on the issue on taking her one stance of the night, but she gave the first blood to Obama on a highly questionable statement. (Obama actually said "No terror act shall..." and the administration was clearly still referring to the Benghazi attack as a demonstration many days later).

I thought it was odd that Crowley chose that one moment to take her one and only stand of the night, though I do have to say she was trying to be as fair as possible. I do not think it was her place to make a judgment as to the veracity of any claim. She was a moderator, not a judge.
  15. 17 Oct '12 03:39
    Originally posted by moon1969
    With all this said, the fact remains that Romney is such a liar, and etch-a-sketch flip flopper with no core. An empty suit who would go extreme right and damage the economy, screw the working middle class, continue the GOP war on women, more likely take us to war, and so on.[/b]
    But Obama said that Romney was a "good" man at the end of the debate.

So does this make Obama a:

1. Liar
    2. Insane.
    3. Out to lunch
    4. Or unemployed come November?