Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    09 May '11 15:53
    http://www.allout.org/en/petition/uganda

    In the next 72 hours, conservative lawmakers could move a bill that would make being LGBT in Uganda a crime punishable by death.


    How do we stop this idiocy?
  2. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    09 May '11 16:25
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    http://www.allout.org/en/petition/uganda

    In the next 72 hours, conservative lawmakers could move a bill that would make being LGBT in Uganda a crime punishable by death.


    How do we stop this idiocy?
    Hey, the law's the law; you only have those rights that the government gives you in its mercy.
  3. 09 May '11 16:47
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    http://www.allout.org/en/petition/uganda

    In the next 72 hours, conservative lawmakers could move a bill that would make being LGBT in Uganda a crime punishable by death.


    How do we stop this idiocy?
    Obviously you just have to claim their natural rights are being violated, I doubt the ugandan government would be willing to pick a fight with the universe or God, everybody knows those who disrespect these natural rights are tried in the Celestial Court of Justice, duh!
  4. 09 May '11 16:50
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    How do we stop this idiocy?
    You don't, you can just hope it goes away in time. You need a solid democratic tradition to stop this kind of abuse of minorities though. On the plus side, South Africa has legalized gay marriage, so perhaps tolerance can cross the border and spread across southern Africa.
  5. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    09 May '11 16:53
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    Obviously you just have to claim their natural rights are being violated, I doubt the ugandan government would be willing to pick a fight with the universe or God, everybody knows those who disrespect these natural rights are tried in the Celestial Court of Justice, duh!
    You should add "duh" to the end of all your posts.
  6. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    09 May '11 16:56
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You should add "duh" to the end of all your posts.
    lol.
  7. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    09 May '11 16:59
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    Obviously you just have to claim their natural rights are being violated, I doubt the ugandan government would be willing to pick a fight with the universe or God, everybody knows those who disrespect these natural rights are tried in the Celestial Court of Justice, duh!
    Well, yeah, from where I am way over here, that's about all I'm going to do.

    If that was happening in, say Utah...well, then I'd have a little more motivation to do something about it, and a greater ability to do so.

    As it is now all I can do is rant online. Talk's cheap, I know. But still, getting it in the open is important. Make sure people know what's going on and that it's wrong, whatever culture you are.

    Things like rape, paedophilia, spreading AIDS etc. should be crimes, but not being gay.
  8. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    09 May '11 17:06
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Well, yeah, from where I am way over here, that's about all I'm going to do.

    If that was happening in, say Utah...well, then I'd have a little more motivation to do something about it, and a greater ability to do so.

    As it is now all I can do is rant online. Talk's cheap, I know. But still, getting it in the open is important. Make sure peopl ...[text shortened]...

    Things like rape, paedophilia, spreading AIDS etc. should be crimes, but not being gay.
    Perhaps this is another job for the International Coalition For The Responsibility To Protect. Bombs away baby.
  9. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    09 May '11 17:10
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Well, yeah, from where I am way over here, that's about all I'm going to do.

    If that was happening in, say Utah...well, then I'd have a little more motivation to do something about it, and a greater ability to do so.

    As it is now all I can do is rant online. Talk's cheap, I know. But still, getting it in the open is important. Make sure peopl ...[text shortened]...

    Things like rape, paedophilia, spreading AIDS etc. should be crimes, but not being gay.
    Uganda receives a ton of foreign aid including from the US; perhaps donor countries should consider suspending said aid unless it is directly related to humanitarian needs (food and medicine). A message to the Ugandan government that this would be a likely result of passage of such a bill would be nice (Hillary where are you?).
  10. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    09 May '11 17:12
    Moral realism is so delightfully quaint.

    Especially when it's used to denounce opposing moral views.
  11. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    09 May '11 17:20 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You should add "duh" to the end of all your posts.
    ouch!

    No1 has a sardonic wit.

    Who knew?
  12. 09 May '11 18:25
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You should add "duh" to the end of all your posts.
    oh please no1, you and your lapdog are breaking my heart with all these agressive posts, and to think you were once the forum's chief embassador of online courtesy. :'(
  13. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    09 May '11 18:28
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Uganda receives a ton of foreign aid including from the US; perhaps donor countries should consider suspending said aid unless it is directly related to humanitarian needs (food and medicine). A message to the Ugandan government that this would be a likely result of passage of such a bill would be nice (Hillary where are you?).
    Ahhh there we go. $$$$$$

    We need to make cutbacks anyway.
  14. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    09 May '11 18:54 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    http://www.allout.org/en/petition/uganda

    In the next 72 hours, conservative lawmakers could move a bill that would make being LGBT in Uganda a crime punishable by death.


    How do we stop this idiocy?
    There is a Ugandan opposition that is quite active at the moment. You could support it. -- But first acquaint yourself with basic facts, such as the history of the Ugandan state.
  15. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    09 May '11 18:55
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    There is a Ugandan opposition that is quite active at the moment. You could support it.
    How?