Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 07 Nov '09 01:34 / 2 edits
    There he goes again. He asks for restraint. Just like he evidenced restraint when branding the Cambridge police racist. The Fort Hood mass murder was committed by an Islamofascist yelling "Alllahu Akbar" and targeting unarmed soldiers. Lots more evidence than there was in Cambridge. What's Obama gonna do now? Have Nidal Hasam over for a beer and pat him on the back? Obama needs to issue stronger words than his usual claptrap and mealy-mouthed garbage. When is America going to wake up and realize we elected an incompetent bufoon and a charlatan extraordinaire! Like the usual leftie Obama wants others to apply principles he does not apply to himself. How can Obama claim transparency when he offers nothing better than regurgitated, insincere sounding cliches. I won't jump to conclusions, but it certainly appears that the enemy within is hard at work!

Here's the statement:
    "We don't know all the answers yet. And I would caution against jumping to conclusions until we have all the facts," Obama said in a Rose Garden statement

Guess we wait, Obama shoots off without facts about Cambridge!
  2. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    07 Nov '09 03:13
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Here's the statement:
    "We don't know all the answers yet. And I would caution against jumping to conclusions until we have all the facts," Obama said in a Rose Garden statement
    Maybe he just doesn't want people going out and committing violent acts against Americans with 'Muslim sounding names' like Mohammed or Hasan or Malik or Nidal etc. - as happened after 9/11. And as for the 'facts' that he mentions, surely they include the murderer's mental health and the degree of conspiracy or planning. One has to be an incredibly contorted partisan to try to squeeze political points out of the President's common sense Rose Garden statement that you quoted.
  3. 07 Nov '09 03:29
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b]Maybe he just doesn't want people going out and committing violent acts against Americans with 'Muslim sounding names' like Mohammed or Hasan or Malik or Nidal etc. -
    Or middle name Hussien.
  4. 07 Nov '09 03:32
    There he goes again. He asks for restraint. Just like he evidenced restraint when branding the Cambridge police racist. The Fort Hood mass murder was committed by an Islamofascist yelling "Alllahu Akbar" and targeting unarmed soldiers. Lots more evidence than there was in Cambridge. What's Obama gonna do now? Have Nidal Hasam over for a beer and pat him ...[text shortened]... Rose Garden statement

I think it is a good idea to plaede with people not to act in violence to avenge a violent act. Although I don't think there is as great a chance of this in the US as there is, say in the Middle East, I think it could happen. Don't you think that taking revenge via violence would be a bad idea? If not, the Middle East should provide ample evidence that shuch vengence is futile and never ending.
  5. 07 Nov '09 16:10
    Of course no one advocates violence against muslims or muslim sounding names. However, I feel that this "nuanced" approach is only afforded to those more equal than others. Forcefully calling an ace an ace and spade a spade is required of our leaders. Why does Obama get a pass to ask others for restraint when he does not offer restraint and flames the fires of racial discord by tainting a whole police dept as racist without having all the facts? If we stop expecting so little of our leadership then we truly got what we deserved. Obama is not unintelligent but he needs to take of his pinko colored political glasses and govern as promised during the campaign, i.e. from the middle and not all this leftist, agenda driven, populist, demonizing of business of his. Otherwise he's just another political charlatan and a liar of the worst kind!
  6. 07 Nov '09 16:14
    . Otherwise he's just another political charlatan and a liar of the worst kind![/b]
    Are there any other kind?
  7. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    07 Nov '09 16:20
    Of course no one advocates violence against muslims or muslim sounding names. However, I feel that this "nuanced" approach is only afforded to those more equal than others. Forcefully calling an ace an ace and spade a spade is required of our leaders. Why does Obama get a pass to ask others for restraint when he does not offer restraint and flames the f ...[text shortened]... usiness of his. Otherwise he's just another political charlatan and a liar of the worst kind!
    Your attempted - and demented - politicization of this is an insult to the 13 victims of Nidal Malik Hasan and their families.
  8. 07 Nov '09 16:33
    The insult lies in Obama ordering Mueller to abandon all pursuit of discerning whether this incident goes deeper than a crazed, lone jihadist murderer. No stone should be left unturned. There may be accomplices, for example. There may be others in wait. After all Hasan's treachery was boundless and who knows how many idiots Hasan convinced of the righteousness of his cause. Why does the issue get a pass at all? Why should an investigation be molded to exclude certain aspects of it? Excluding the jihadist angle is not politicizing the mass murder? Therein lies the true insult to the victims. God only knows how many more dead there would be without the heroism of Munley. Obama, Holder have blood on their hands as does Pelosi with the CIA witch hunt. If crazed muslims murder people over cartoons why would they not over the misperception that the war on terror is a war against Islam? When will Obama speak forcefully on this issue? When will Obama stop bowing to muslim potentates like Abdulah? When will Obama stop demonizing the USA and call out these jihadist murderers what they are?
  9. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    07 Nov '09 16:39
    The insult lies in Obama ordering Mueller to abandon all pursuit of discerning whether this incident goes deeper than a crazed, lone jihadist murderer. No stone should be left unturned. There may be accomplices, for example. There may be others in wait. After all Hasan's treachery was boundless and who knows how many idiots Hasan convinced of the righte ...[text shortened]... h? When will Obama stop demonizing the USA and call out these jihadist murderers what they are?
    Your whole demeanour and unhinged outpourings on this issue are an utter disgrace.
  10. 07 Nov '09 16:46
    There he goes again. He asks for restraint. Just like he evidenced restraint when branding the Cambridge police racist. The Fort Hood mass murder was committed by an Islamofascist yelling "Alllahu Akbar" and targeting unarmed soldiers. Lots more evidence than there was in Cambridge. What's Obama gonna do now? Have Nidal Hasam over for a beer and pat him ...[text shortened]... Rose Garden statement

Let's get you back in the Culture forum where you're not a bad influence.
  11. 07 Nov '09 17:42
    Of course no one advocates violence against muslims or muslim sounding names. However, I feel that this "nuanced" approach is only afforded to those more equal than others. Forcefully calling an ace an ace and spade a spade is required of our leaders. Why does Obama get a pass to ask others for restraint when he does not offer restraint and flames the f ...[text shortened]... usiness of his. Otherwise he's just another political charlatan and a liar of the worst kind!
    This is the point where I ask you to show me anywhere Obama accused the whole police force of being racist.... and you fail to do so.

You don't ever get tired of your own strawman arguments? I do.
  12. 07 Nov '09 17:45 / 1 edit
    The insult lies in Obama ordering Mueller to abandon all pursuit of discerning whether this incident goes deeper than a crazed, lone jihadist murderer.
    This is the part where I ask you to substantiate this claim, and you can't.
  13. 07 Nov '09 17:48
    Originally posted by scherzo
    Let's get you back in the Culture forum where you're not a bad influence.
    Dearest scherzo. You know I am fond of you and actually admire your religion. I am able to separate decent muslims from the crazed ones of which despite being much fewer in number give Islam a bad name. It would go a long way to condemn these bastards who hijack Islam rather than me. I am not responsible for the ethnicity or religion of this murderous, treacherous bastard. And neither are you. However, you have to admit that despite outnumbering the bad apples, good apples such as you do little when it comes to condemning the cowardly acts of the likes of Hasan. If I am a bad influence then effect the good influence within your considerable intellect and disavow strongly the acts of a coward! I committed no murders. I am not at fault for the acts of a coward who flew under the radar for so long and struck back at the system that embraced him and paid out upwards of half a million to educate him only to get repaid with murder of 13 of our finest.
  14. 07 Nov '09 19:35
    this link looks kind of ephemeral.

---

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/remarks-president-rose-garden

The White House

Office of the Press Secretary
    For Immediate Release
    November 06, 2009
    Remarks by the President in the Rose Garden

11:33 A.M. EST

THE PRESIDENT: Good morning. I want to begin by offering an update on the tragedy that took place yesterday at Fort Hood.

This morning I met with FBI Director Mueller and the relevant agencies to discuss their ongoing investigation into what caused one individual to turn his gun on fellow servicemen and women. We don't know all the answers yet and I would caution against jumping to conclusions until we have all the facts.

What we do know is that there are families, friends and an entire nation grieving right now for the valiant men and women who came under attack yesterday in one of the worst mass shootings ever to take place on an American military base. So from now until Veterans Day I've ordered the flags at the White House and other federal buildings to be flown at half-staff. This is a modest tribute to those who lost their lives even as many were preparing to risk their lives for their country. And it's also recognition of the men and women who put their lives on the line everyday to protect our safety and uphold our values. We honor their service, we stand in awe of their sacrifice, and we pray for the safety of those who fight and for the families of those who have fallen. And as we continue to learn more about what happened at Fort Hood, this administration will continue to provide you updates in the coming days and weeks.

Now, I would also like to announce that I just signed into law a bill that will help grow our economy, save and create new jobs and provide relief to struggling families and businesses. The need for such a measure was made clear by the jobs report that we received this morning. Although we lost fewer jobs than we did last month, our unemployment rate climbed to over 10 percent -- a sobering number that underscores the economic challenges that lie ahead.

15. 07 Nov '09 19:43
    http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/us-military-death-penalty

Number of Executions 135 people have been executed by the Army since 1916 (Source: National Law Journal, 4/5/99)
    Date of last military execution On April 13, 1961, U.S. Army Private John A. Bennett was hanged after being convicted of rape and attempted murder. (R. Serrano, "Last Soldier to Die at Levenworth Hanged in an April Storm," Los Angeles Times, 7/12/94).
    Minimum Age to Receive the Death Penalty 18 years
    Method of Execution Lethal Injection
    Death Row Location U.S. Disciplinary Barracks, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas
    United States Military Death Row Roster and sentencing rate Total: 9 (as of 1/1/2009)
    Names:

1. Kenneth Parker (B)
    2. [Wade L. Walker] (B)
    3. [Jessie Quintanilla] (A)
    4. [James T. Murphy] (B)
    5. Ronald Gray (B)
    6. Dwight J. Loving (B)
    7. [William Kreutzer] (W)
    8. Asan Akbar (B)
    9. Andrew Witt (W)

Race:

Black - 6
    White - 2
    Asian - 1

Male - 9
    Names in brackets awaiting re-trial, re-sentencing, or where court ordered reversal is not yet final. (Source: NAACP Legal Defense Fund; updates by DPIC).

Under the current death penalty system (adopted in January 1984), there have been 47 capital courts-martial resulting in 15 adjudged death sentences, for a 31.9% prosecution "success" rate. (Federal Death Penalty Resource Counsel, March 2008).
    Date the Death Penalty Was Reenacted after Furman In 1983, the Armed Forces Court of Appeals held in U.S. v. Matthews, 16 M.J. 354, that military capital sentencing procedures were unconstitutional for failing to require a finding of individualized aggravating circumstances. In 1984, the death penalty was reinstated when President Ronald Reagan signed an executive order adopting detailed rules for capital courts-martial. Among the rules was a list of 11 aggravating factors that qualify defendants for death sentences.
    Life Without Parole A recent amendment to the Uniform Code of Military Justice offers a new alternative to the death penalty. For crimes that occurred on or after November 17, 1997, a sentence of life without the possibility of parole is now possible. Prior to this legislation, those servicemembers serving a life sentence would be eligible for parole after serving 10 years.
    Clemency Process The President has the power to commute a death sentence and no servicemember can be executed unless the President personally confirms the death penalty.
    Capital Offenses The Uniform Code of Military Justice provides the death penalty as a possible punishment for 15 offenses (10 USC Sections 886-934), many of which must occur during a time of war. All 9 men on the military's death row were convicted of premeditated murder or felony murder.
    Who Decides Sentence In a military capital case, the convening authority -- a high ranking commanding officer who decides to bring the case to a court martial -- decides if the death penalty will be sought. Once decided, the convening authority picks those servicemembers who will serve as panel members/jurors. One requirement for the panel is that if the accused so chooses, at least 1/3 of the panel must consist of enlisted personnel.
    The panel must consist of 12 members. (Rules for Courts-Martial 501(a)).