Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 16 Oct '09 18:18
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8310509.stm

A white US justice of the peace has been criticised for refusing to issue marriage licences to mixed-race couples.

Keith Bardwell, of Tangipahoa Parish in Louisiana, denied racism but said mixed-race children were not readily accepted by their parents' communities.

A couple he refused to marry are considering filing a complaint about him to the US Justice Department.

Mr Bardwell said he had often conducted the weddings of his black friends.

are mixed-race marriages still a taboo?
  2. 16 Oct '09 18:22
    Originally posted by generalissimo

[b]A white US justice of the peace has been criticised for refusing to issue marriage licences to mixed-race couples.

Keith Bardwell, of Tangipahoa Parish in Louisiana, denied racism but said mixed-race children were not readily accepted by their parents' communities.

A couple he ...[text shortened]... conducted the weddings of his black friends.

are mixed-race marriages still a taboo?[/b]
    looks like there still people in Louisiana living up to their state's stereotype.
  3. 16 Oct '09 19:11 / 2 edits

[b]A white US justice of the peace has been criticised for refusing to issue marriage licences to mixed-race couples.

Taboo in the mind of a twisted few. Whether these couples have rejection by both ethnic groups for their children or not should be none of this stupid judge's business nor should he be the one making social commentary outside the limits of his jurisdiction. Since if he does not marry them they can marry elsewhere his refusal is pointless and stupid and seems to satisfy some misguided notion that he is doing these people or their future children a favor. Judicial activism of any kind is abhorrent. Mixed race children may have some rejection issues in the judge's mind only. Some children experience rejection for a variety of reasons. Is he going to deny marriage licenses to people from same race but different nationalities, different socio-economic backgrounds, disparity in age, IQ level or whatever other disparity, real or imagined he may find? Where does it all end? The commission for judicial conduct should reprimand this dubious jurist and remove him if necessary!
  4. 16 Oct '09 19:24 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Taboo in the mind of a twisted few. Whether these couples have rejection by both ethnic groups for their children or not should be none of this stupid judge's business nor should he be the one making social commentary outside the limits of his jurisdiction. Since if he does not marry them they can marry elsewhere his refusal is pointless and stupid and mission for judicial conduct should reprimand this dubious jurist and remove him if necessary!
    I mean - what if that child grows up to become an all-star shortstop for the Yankees -- or, perish the thought, the nation's president?
  5. 16 Oct '09 19:40
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    I mean - what if that child grows up to become an all-star shortstop for the Yankees -- or, perish the thought, the nation's president?
    I wonder who this dumbass feels would be more rejecting? Frankly I like shortsops better than politicians. The saddest thing is one ethnic half gets rejected by even the person holding both as we can see from people focusing solely on the phenotypical expression of genetics.
  6. 16 Oct '09 19:48
    I wonder who this dumbass feels would be more rejecting? Frankly I like shortsops better than politicians. The saddest thing is one ethnic half gets rejected by even the person holding both as we can see from people focusing solely on the phenotypical expression of genetics.
    one good thing about mixed marriages is that we will eventually reach a point where the entire population is an even continuum from black to white with every possible shade in between - and it will become impossible to classify most people by race -- and people in the future will look back on our time and will find strange the mere concept of people being of "different races"
  7. 16 Oct '09 20:59
    one good thing about mixed marriages is that we will eventually reach a point where the entire population is an even continuum from black to white with every possible shade in between - and it will become impossible to classify most people by race -- and people in the future will look back on our time and will find strange the mere concept of people being of "different races"
    As long as the women stay cute, thin, round in the right places and are good company who cares about race? Perhaps indeed in a not so distant future we will also avoid electing dumbass judges like this one.
  8. 16 Oct '09 21:01
    Perhaps indeed in a not so distant future we will also avoid electing dumbass judges like this one.
    I don't share your optimism.
  9. 16 Oct '09 21:38
    I don't share your optimism.
    As we awaken to the reality of flawed jurists who fail to adhere to the blindness of the law we inevitably will take steps forward. In my county there are some really bad judges then some real good ones. None like this bozo in Louisiana. How about the one in Oklahoma who gave a child rapist only a year sentence. At least the affected couple only needs to find another judge to extend a license and marry them.
  10. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    16 Oct '09 21:55
    As long as the women stay cute, thin, round in the right places and are good company who cares about race?
    Well put!
  11. 16 Oct '09 23:32
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Well put!
    Maybe the judge in question was rebuffed by a nice looking racial minority and he is exacting his revenge on the mixed race couples of the world! Every race has their exemplars of beauty and there are exquisite females in every single race. That's one reason I love NYC and Chicago. True melting pots. Now the men on the other hand...
  12. 17 Oct '09 03:21 / 1 edit
    looks like there still people in Louisiana living up to their state's stereotype.
    Release the dams!!

You know its only a matter of time before they give way again so what the hey.
  13. 17 Oct '09 06:15

No
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Oct '09 00:31

There are always going to be clowns; in every profession. Unfortunately, some of them become judges. He will eventually be reprimanded, disciplined and perhaps disbarred for his blatantly unconstitutional actions.

I don't think this has much significance other than that.
  15. Standard member Fleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    18 Oct '09 01:12
    At least the affected couple only needs to find another judge to extend a license and marry them.
    Fortunately, they already have. Bardwell, the original judge in the case, referred them to another judge who signed the marriage license.