Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    07 Oct '14 02:54
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/same-sex-marriage-is-now-legal-for-a-majority-of-the-u-s/

    We're past the tipping point. It's only a matter of time before same sex couples can marry in Witchita Falls, Hattiesburg and Birmingham.
  2. 07 Oct '14 09:09
    cool
  3. Standard member caissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    07 Oct '14 09:28
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/same-sex-marriage-is-now-legal-for-a-majority-of-the-u-s/

    We're past the tipping point. It's only a matter of time before same sex couples can marry in Witchita Falls, Hattiesburg and Birmingham.
    Reminds me of a tv show I watched when I was a child.
    "It's about time"
    "It's about space"
    "It's about 2 men and the human race"
  4. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    07 Oct '14 11:41
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/same-sex-marriage-is-now-legal-for-a-majority-of-the-u-s/

    We're past the tipping point. It's only a matter of time before same sex couples can marry in Witchita Falls, Hattiesburg and Birmingham.
    As it should be.
  5. 07 Oct '14 12:59
    Yep, the same group that said corporations are people.

    LMAO!
  6. 07 Oct '14 13:11
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/same-sex-marriage-is-now-legal-for-a-majority-of-the-u-s/

    We're past the tipping point. It's only a matter of time before same sex couples can marry in Witchita Falls, Hattiesburg and Birmingham.
    The end is nigh!

    Cats and Dogs becoming friends!

    Everyone is gay!

    Pedophilia runs rampant!

    Marriages torn apart!

    Children eaten alive!

    Satan shows herself!

    Polymagy still forbidden!

    God Save Us ALL!!!
  7. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    07 Oct '14 13:26
    Originally posted by whodey
    Yep, the same group that said corporations are people.

    LMAO!
    It's actually not; not that the facts really matter.
  8. 07 Oct '14 13:34
    So does same-sex marriage quickly become a non-issue and people accept that gender does not matter in marriage? or, like in abortion, will there be related issues to fight over?
  9. 07 Oct '14 15:38
    Originally posted by quackquack
    So does same-sex marriage quickly become a non-issue and people accept that gender does not matter in marriage? or, like in abortion, will there be related issues to fight over?
    Now that SCOTUS has in cowardly manner avoided the issue, and apparently granted gays a new "right", the right to redefine a millenniums old institution, how will the heterosexual majority get it's right back?
  10. 07 Oct '14 15:41
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Now that SCOTUS has in cowardly manner avoided the issue, and apparently granted gays a new "right", the right to redefine a millenniums old institution, how will the heterosexual majority get it's right back?
    Yeah, it's only a matter of time before only same-sex couples can get married.
  11. 07 Oct '14 15:43
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Yeah, it's only a matter of time before only same-sex couples can get married.
    That is not what marriage is, nor will it ever be, regardless of what courts say.
  12. 07 Oct '14 15:48
    Originally posted by normbenign
    That is not what marriage is, nor will it ever be, regardless of what courts say.
    Yes it is. Redefinition is taking place. No matter how old something may be, if it was invented by humans it can always be redefined.

    There is no universal law that prohibits marriage from being redefined.
  13. 07 Oct '14 15:57 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Yes it is. Redefinition is taking place. No matter how old something may be, if it was invented by humans it can always be redefined.

    There is no universal law that prohibits marriage from being redefined.
    Such redefinitions are fraught with danger, as marriage (in its traditional role) has been the glue of societies all over the planet for millenniums. Already in the US marriage is very much degraded to the point that many marry without any intention of permanence, and others don't bother marrying at all while raising families. This is the continuation of the end of the marriage contract.

    Great changes and redefinitions have consequences. One must ask, why is such a change necessary?

    Marriage will end. It will no longer have any meaning.
  14. 07 Oct '14 16:13
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Such redefinitions are fraught with danger, as marriage (in its traditional role) has been the glue of societies all over the planet for millenniums. Already in the US marriage is very much degraded to the point that many marry without any intention of permanence, and others don't bother marrying at all while raising families. This is the continuation of ...[text shortened]... ask, why is such a change necessary?

    Marriage will end. It will no longer have any meaning.
    It's a good point, in societies where gay marriage has been legalized we can already see widespread chaos and anarchy.
  15. 07 Oct '14 16:15
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Now that SCOTUS has in cowardly manner avoided the issue, and apparently granted gays a new "right", the right to redefine a millenniums old institution, how will the heterosexual majority get it's right back?
    While technically all laws infringe on rights, the right to deny someone else the opportunity to marry someone of their same gender does not seem like a very valuable right. But apparently you seem upset by this ruling. My question, was as follows: does this end the legal squabbles in this area and if not, what do you see as the next point to be litigated?