Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 20:091 edit
    Serena Williams has a long record as a great tennis player and a poor sport.
    Given that she's the only recent American champion in tennis, the US media
    have long pandered to her and preferred to ignore her poor sportsmanship.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/sep/09/serena-williams-womens-treatment-tennis-us-open-final

"Serena Williams is right on women’s treatment but wrong about Saturday"

"When Serena Williams threw away the US Open title she has won six times
    by calling the umpire “a liar” and “a thief”, she cited sexism as the root cause....
    By conflating her own dilemma with a wider issue and claiming to champion
    the cause of women in sport, she not only detracted from the extraordinary
    achievement of the 20-year-old winner, Naomi Osaka, who was appearing
    in her first grand slam final, but she shifted the blame for her own misdemeanours,
    and their consequences, on to an official who was powerless to reply."

In front of an extremely partisan American crowd that strongly supported her,
    Serena Williams may have been hoping that its loud reaction could intimidate
    Naomi Osaka, her much less experienced Japanese opponent (who's half-black).

This was not the first time that Serena Williams has behaved abusively at the US Open.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport.2009.sep/13/seerna-wiliams-tirade-us-open

"her profanity-laced tirade against a lineswoman who called a foot fault against her."

"Neither Williams nor Earley were prepared to reveal exactly what was said to the lineswoman
    but the New York tabloids, which splashed the story across the back pages yesterday morning,
    were not so reticent. Suffice to say, it was not exactly ladylike:
    "I swear to God I'll f*** take the ball and shove it down your f*** throat."

"Williams was far from apologetic at the time. Indeed, she continued to abuse the lineswoman
    after her initial tirade, becoming enraged when it appeared she was being accused of threatening
    her with physical harm, yelling "I did not threaten to kill you. Are you serious?"

"Afterwards, she was unrepentant: "An apology from me? How many people yell at linespeople?
    I see it happening all the time."

Serena Williams has fame, wealth, and the blind adulation of many fans
    who apparently value fame, wealth, or US flag-waving above everything else.
    But, in moments of adversity, the ugliness deep in her character may emerge.

The real story here should be that Naomi Osaka outplayed Serena Williams and deservedly won.
    Instead, Naomi Osaka felt obliged to apologize (almost) to the extremely partisan American
    crowd for daring to defeat its heroine, Serena Williams (who appears above all criticism).
  2. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 20:12
    Originally posted by @duchess64

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/sep/09/serena-williams-womens-treatment-tennis-us-open-final

"Serena Williams i ...[text shortened]... e everything else.
    But, in moments of adversity, the ugliness deep in her character may emerge.
    Typical black woman.
  3. Zugzwang
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 20:20
    Originally posted by @kquinn909
    Typical black woman.
    Arthur Ashe and Althea Gibson were great African American tennis players, who never
    displayed Serena Williams's petulant (to put it kindly) behavior.
  4. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 21:02

"Serena Williams i ...[text shortened]... ican
    crowd for daring to defeat its heroine, Serena Williams (who appears above all criticism).
    I've got nothing personal against Serena Williams, but I really have a thing about petulant, bad losers. It's why I support Viswanathan Anand (who is pure class) over Magnus Carlsen.
  5. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 21:02
    Racist.
  6. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 21:06

"Serena Williams i ...[text shortened]... ican
    The real story here should be that Naomi Osaka outplayed Serena Williams and deservedly won. Instead, Naomi Osaka felt obliged to apologize (almost) to the extremely partisan American crowd for daring to defeat its heroine, Serena Williams (who appears above all criticism).

Since when did you become an authority on the finer points of women's tennis? Or is this just another criticism by someone who sits on the sidelines?
  7. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 21:25
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Since when did you become an authority on the finer points of women's tennis? Or is this just another criticism by someone who sits on the sidelines?
    The Duchess, with her fierce forehand and swooping backhand, is the Serena Williams of RHP.
  8. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 21:29
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    The Duchess, with her fierce forehand and swooping backhand, is the Serena Williams of RHP.
    More like a poaching doubles player...specialized in returning lobs.
  9. Standard memberchaney3
    Bring it on.......
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 21:29
    Duchess is also an expert at ping pong, a beloved Chinese 'sport'.
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 21:503 edits
    Originally posted by @ashiitaka
    I've got nothing personal against Serena Williams, but I really have a thing about petulant, bad losers.
    It's why I support Viswanathan Anand (who is pure class) over Magnus Carlsen.
    Before Lance Armstrong (belatedly) confessed that he had cheated by using performance-enhancing drugs,
    all the flag-waving Americans here vehemently denied that he could be guilty of cheating.
    Even after he admitted it, several Americans here smugly asserted or implied that Lance
    Armstrong had done nothing wrong and deserved to keep all the benefits of his cheating.
    That shows how much American care about sportsmanship as opposed to winning at all costs.

The flag-waving US media have long been fawning over Serena Williams and ignoring her poor sportsmanship.
    I expect most flag-waving Americans here to keep doing the same.

Serena Williams may whine that she was unfairly treated only because she's a black woman,
    yet her opponent, Naomi Osaka, is a Japanese woman, who may have experienced prejudice
    for being half-black in Japan.

Michael Chang (the first non-white American man since Arthur Ashe to win a Grand Slam title)
    said that, as a junior player in the MidWest, he often heard racist slurs from the white crowd.
    Expecting to receive no sympathy from the US media, he seldom spoke about his experiences of racism.
    Rising to be ranked 2nd among men in the world, Michael Chang obtained income from
    commercial endorsements, but they all were for Asian markets, not in his native USA.

Naomi Osaka's not the first Asian woman to win a Grand Slam title.
    Li Na (China) won two Grand Slam titles, rising to be ranked 2nd among women in the world.
    She retired on account of a chronic knee injury.
  11. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 22:53
    Before Lance Armstrong (belatedly) confessed that he had cheated by using performance-enhancing drugs,
    all the flag-waving Americans here vehemently denied that he could be guilty of cheating.
    Even after he admitted it, several Americans here smugly asserted or implied that Lance
    Armstrong had done nothing wrong and deserved to keep all the benefits of ...[text shortened]... ing to be ranked 2nd among women in the world.
    She retired on account of a chronic knee injury.
    "Before Lance Armstrong (belatedly) confessed that he had cheated by using performance-enhancing drugs, all the flag-waving Americans here vehemently denied that he could be guilty of cheating.
    "Even after he admitted it, several Americans here smugly asserted or implied that Lance Armstrong had done nothing wrong and deserved to keep all the benefits of his cheating. That shows how much American care about sportsmanship as opposed to winning at all costs."
    - Duchess64

Duchess64 presumably trusts Wikipedia. She has demonstrated this by providing myriad quotes and Copy & Pastes from it. Here is some "hair of the dog" just for her:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doping_in_China

China (officially the People's Republic of China (PRC)) conducted a state sanctioned doping programme on athletes in the 1980s and 1990s. The majority of revelations of Chinese doping have focused on swimmers. The doping programme has been explained as a by-product of the "open door" policy which saw the rapid expansion within China of modern cultural and technological exchanges with foreign countries.
  12. Zugzwang
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 23:30
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    "Before Lance Armstrong (belatedly) confessed that he had cheated by using performance-enhancing drugs, all the flag-waving Americans here vehemently denied that he could be guilty of cheating.
    "Even after he admitted it, several Americans here smugly asserted or implied that Lance Armstrong had done nothing wrong and deserved to keep all the benefits of h ...[text shortened]... id expansion within China of modern cultural and technological exchanges with foreign countries.
    The jingoistic American racist troll Wolfe63 does NOT dispute what I wrote about Americans here
    first universally denying and then widely condoning Lance Armstrong's flagrant cheating.

So the jingoistic American troll Wolfe63 attempts to divert attention from 'patriotically correct'
    American cheating by claiming that other athletes in other countries have cheated too.
    Of course, non-Americans also have cheated. And jingoistic Americans hypocritically respond
    by condemning the non-Americans for cheating while excusing the Americans for cheating.

In the Chinese media (which the ignorant Wolfe63 cannot comprehend), there has been
    considerable coverage of past real or alleged Chinese athletes' usage of performance-enhancing drugs.
    Evidently, this has significantly decreased from its peak (still clung to by Sinophobes) decades ago.
    Some Chinese coaches or journalists have 'blown the whistle' on other Chinese coaches or athletes.

Contrary to the popular Western stereotype that China is monolithic and the central government
    knows everything and strictly controls everyone all the time, the Chinese sports scene
    has many athletes and coaches (of diverse ethical standards) competing fiercely for a
    few places in a kind of 'swim or sink' competitive culture. So there are (understandable)
    incentives and pressures to cheat, and some athletes or coaches yield to that temptation.

In a very competitive society of more than 1.4 billion people, it would be unrealistic to expect
    that no one ever attempts to cheat. My point is that the international authorities have found
    no proof of systematic state-organized cheating like in Russia, which has been condemned for it.
    Another point is that there are many Chinese who don't value winning at all costs, and
    they may be ready to report other Chinese who break the same rules that they respect.
  13. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 23:30
    You can't be serious !!!!! 😛 .
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 23:351 edit
    Some sports person doing dumb stuff. What else is new?

I'm sure in The Guardian spoonfed world of Douchess69 this is Very Important News.

It reminds me of Whodey digging up random articles about what this or that celebrity said about such or other.
  15. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    09 Sep '18 23:43
    Duchess, I did like your initial post because I really dislike seeing people lionized routinely by the media who have personality flaws.

My only comment on this, though, is about Michael Chang:

Expecting to receive no sympathy from the US media, he seldom spoke about his experiences of racism.
    Rising to be ranked 2nd among men in the world, Michael Chang obtained income from
    commercial endorsements, but they all were for Asian markets, not in his native USA.

I am curious...

He was celebrated in Asian markets because he was Asian, right. Just like how the most popular team in South Korea in the EPL is whomever has the Korean (I've seen it go from Manchester to Everton to Tottenham)....

it also seems that you could say Michael Chang didn't get as many domestic market endorsements as Sampras -- Sampras did reach rank #1, though, and have a better career; nor as much as Andre Agassi, who did become a world number one and have a better career -- all of this roughly at the same time as Michael Chang...

But IDK...

It's kind of like the Asian market embraced an Asian American who wasn't good enough to get the main endorsements in his own country -- not because he was bad, heed you, but becuase he was outshined by other Americans.

But even if your argument is right... IT doesn't really fully account for the ethno-nationalism that leads to Asians having an American who is Asian marketed at them because of their pride in his blood pedigree.

... Is it OK for Asians to be ehtno-nationalists?

Isn't Michael Chang just an American -- and his Asian heritage should be irrelevant?