1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    13 Jan '21 20:29
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/lisa-montgomery-execution-trump_n_5ffdfb67c5b656719889aec5?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000618

"Trump Administration Executes Only Woman On Federal Death Row"

"The Trump administration executed Lisa Montgomery, 52, in the early hours of Wednesday morning,
    ending the tortured life of the only woman on federal death row.

The government killed Montgomery with a lethal injection of pentobarbital over objections by
    her lawyers that her mental state rendered her incompetent for execution.

Montgomery, who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder with psychotic features and complex post-traumatic
    stress disorder, had lost touch with reality and was unable to comprehend what was happening, her lawyers wrote
    in court filings before her death. In the days leading up to her execution, she was having auditory hallucinations of her
    abusive mother’s voice, her lawyers said, and believed that God was speaking with her through connect-the-dot puzzles."

"Montgomery was a textbook example of the potent effect of childhood abuse. On the Adverse Childhood
    Experiences scale, which tallies how much trauma a child suffers before the age of 18, she scored a 9 out of 10.

According to reports from family members, her mother beat her and withheld all forms of affection.
    Her stepfather began to molest her at age 11. Later, he built a room onto the side of a trailer to isolate her from
    the family for the purposes of sexual violence. Even after Montgomery’s mother walked in on her husband raping
    her daughter, she did not report it to authorities. Montgomery told a cousin at the time that her parents were
    also allowing other men to rape her in exchange for work done around the house.

Experts who have evaluated Montgomery believe that she began to dissociate with reality to survive the
    extreme trauma of her childhood.

“Lisa’s childhood in which she was brutally beaten, humiliated, and ultimately raped for several years by a stepfather,
    created conditions for her to develop profoundly distorted perceptions of interpersonal relationships, human
    emotions and even her own body,” wrote Katherine Porterfield, a clinical psychologist at the Bellevue/New York
    University Program for Survivors of Torture who examined Montgomery in prison. “These developmental
    impairments had tragic consequences in this woman’s life and the life of those around her.”

"Three separate federal courts issued a stay of execution in the hours before Montgomery was scheduled to be put to death.
    The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana was receptive to Montgomery’s claim that she was not
    competent to be killed and temporarily blocked her execution pending a competency evaluation. The government
    appealed, and the stay of execution was vacated by the U.S. Court Of Appeals for the 7th Circuit. The other two stays,
    which involved procedural legal claims, were vacated by the U.S. Supreme Court, clearing the path for the government
    to proceed with the execution."

"Henry, Montgomery’s lawyer, said that she was disappointed that outgoing President Donald Trump did
    not commute Montgomery’s sentence to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

“He had not even the decency to formally deny ― or even acknowledge ― Lisa’s clemency application, though
    it is hard to imagine a case more deserving of executive intervention than this one,” she said in a statement.
    “This failed government adds itself to the long list of people and institutions who failed Lisa.”
  2. Zugzwang
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 05:421 edit
    @duchess64 said
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/lisa-montgomery-execution-trump_n_5ffdfb67c5b656719889aec5?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000618

"Trump Administration Executes Only Woman On Federal Death Row"

"The Trump administration executed Lisa Montgomery, 52, in the early hours of Wednesday morning,
    ending the tortured life of the only woman on federal death row.

The government killed Mo ...[text shortened]... .
    “This failed government adds itself to the long list of people and institutions who failed Lisa.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/05/lisa-montgomery-death-row-execution-history

"A lifetime of torture’: the story of the woman Trump is rushing to execute"

"Warning: this article contains graphic details of sexual abuse and violence which
    some readers may find upsetting"

"Lisa Montgomery’s first experiences of sexual abuse occurred indirectly when she was three years old.
    She would lie in bed at night beside her beloved half-sister Diane, close enough to
    touch, while Diane, then eight, was being raped by their male babysitter.

At the age of 11, Montgomery learned what it was like to be attacked herself.
    Her stepfather Jack, a “mean drunk” who regularly beat her and her mother,
    began raping her once or twice a week.

The assaults became such an important part of Jack’s life over the next four years that
    he built a room for the girl on the side of their trailer, deep in the Oklahoma woods.
    It had its own entrance, so that he could come and go as he desired and nobody
    would know or hear her screams.

He would rape and sodomise her, often with a pillow smothering her face.
    When she resisted, he slammed her head so hard against the concrete floor that
    she suffered traumatic brain injury, MRI brain scans would later show.

One day, her mother Judy happened to enter the room while the child was being
    assaulted by her husband. Judy was so incensed she fetched a gun and held it to
    her daughter’s head, screaming: “How could you do this to me?”

Over time, the abuse expanded. Montgomery’s stepfather invited friends round to
    gang rape her in the room – ordeals that would last for hours and end with the
    men urinating on her like she was trash. Her mother got in on the act too, selling
    Montgomery’s body to the plumber and the electrician whenever she needed odd jobs doing.

This is Lisa Montgomery’s story.

These were her formative experiences which doctors, psychologists and social workers
    have all concluded amounted to torture endured across years. This is the woman,
    now aged 52, whom the Trump administration intends to put to death in seven
    days’ time on grounds that she is such a cold-hearted murderer that even being
    locked up for the rest of her natural life would be insufficient punishment.

On Friday, a US appeals court cleared the way for the execution to proceed.
    The move was enthusiastically endorsed by the US justice department which has
    argued under Trump that Montgomery is guilty of an “especially heinous” crime.
    But those who have looked deeply into the agonized life that lay behind her
    criminal act see it differently.

“This is a story about a woman who is profoundly mentally ill as a result of a
    lifetime of torture and sexual violence,” said Sandra Babcock, faculty director of the
    Cornell Center on the Death Penalty Worldwide and a consultant to Montgomery’s legal team.
    “Lisa is not the worst of the worst – she is the most broken of the broken.”"

"At her 2007 trial, Montgomery was represented by a public defense lawyer who
    had never tried a capital case and by Fred Duchardt, a Kansas City attorney with
    a particular claim to fame. In 2016, the Guardian revealed that Duchardt had the
    distinction of having more of his clients sentenced to death in federal court than
    any other defence lawyer in America – four out of seven federal death row inmates
    from Missouri had had the fortune, or misfortune, to have him as their attorney."

Fred Duchardt is popular with prosecutors because he essentially rolls over for them.

"Montgomery’s lawyers gave her the narrowest of defenses at trial. Duchardt came up
    with a peculiar legal argument – that she suffered from a rare mental illness called
    pseudocyesis which induced the delusion in her that Stinnett’s baby was her own.
    The theory didn’t fit the facts, and the jury didn’t buy it."

"At the end of her researches, Vogelsang produced a mammoth 184-page social history of
    Montgomery’s life. Most of the material she chronicled had never been presented to the jury.
    It included the sexual assaults and the gang rapes, the sexual trafficking and the violence.
    But that was just the start of it. There was also the constant demeaning and humiliation.

From a young age, Montgomery’s mother would duct tape her mouth to prevent her talking.
    The girl was stripped naked and made to stand on the porch in front of drunken visitors,
    then told she would be sent away to a home if she made the slightest noise."

"And yet nobody ever came to her assistance or offered her any protection or help.
    It is the one booming theme of the Lisa Montgomery story that leaps out of the court
    documents, every bit as strongly as the horrifying crime that she went on to commit: society failed her.

Only once throughout her entire rotten childhood did social workers pay the
    family a visit, and even then they helpfully called Montgomery’s parents ahead
    of time so that they were able to enforce silence upon her on pain of death.

Then there was the doctor in Oklahoma who examined her as a child, learnt about
    the regular rapes – but did nothing about it. The child welfare office whom Montgomery’s
    mother, Judy, informed about the sexual abuse – but did nothing about it.
    And the family court judge who presided at the parents’ divorce who actually scolded
    Judy for failing to report the rape of her daughter to police – but then himself did
    absolutely nothing about it.

Society failed Lisa Montgomery, not once, not twice, but repeatedly. Now society, in the
    form of the Trump administration, is preparing to kill her as punishment for the outcome.

Sandra Babcock told the Guardian that over the past 30 years she has defended
    hundreds of prisoners facing execution in countries around the world, “and I have
    never seen a case like this. I don’t know of any execution in the US or elsewhere
    that has been carried out on someone who has been subjected to such unrelenting
    sexual torture and violence.”

Babcock said that she is convinced most Americans would want to halt the execution
    were they to know all the facts about what Lisa Montgomery did and what came before that.
    Most Americans do not know all the facts.

The clock is ticking. “If the execution goes ahead we should all feel a deep sense of shame,” she said."

Lisa Montgomery has been executed. The state has extracted its pound of flesh.
    How many Americans feel ashamed?
  3. Subscriberhappy chappy
    Hubris,my anathema
    upon his seat
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 06:16
    Shame on you Donald trump. Shame shame shame.
  4. Standard memberyo its me
    watch the acid...
    dosen't get you!!
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 07:41
    I know things I didn't want to know, about someone I don't need to care about. Someone who suffered a great deal, was failed with people making more unmet needs and never meeting any, and is now she's dead.

What was the point of sharing that?

It's obvious to me that America is already largely ashamed of Trumpy's actions.
  5. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 17:051 edit
    @yo-its-me said
    I know things I didn't want to know, about someone I don't need to care about. Someone who suffered a great deal, was failed with people making more unmet needs and never meeting any, and is now she's dead.

It’s very important for the state murder of this vulnerable person to be examined and it’s victims back story is an integral part of that.
    How can you be disturbed enough to do what she did and competent enough to stand triall?
    The officer who led the investigation claimed she was the devil in person.
    How can you have a justice system that believes in the literal devil incarnate?
    She was killed because Trump was intent on throwing as much literal red meat to his base as possible before leaving and nothing to do with justice.
    Hopefully this injustice will be a cause celebre when Biden pushes for the abolition of the federal death penalty.
  6. Zugzwang
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 17:14
    @yo-its-me said

"I know things I didn't want to know, about someone I don't need to care about/"
    --Yo-its-me

Everyone else could say the same about yo-its-me. Why should anyone care about yo-its-me?
    Jesus said something different.

What would Jesus have done? I feel certain that Jesus would have opposed her execution,
    even though most American evangelical Christians may thirst for her blood.
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 17:221 edit
    @kevcvs57 said
    It’s very important for the state murder of this vulnerable person to be examined and it’s victims back story is an integral part of that.
    How can you be disturbed enough to do what she did and competent enough to stand triall?
    How can you have a justice system that believes in the literal devil i ...[text shortened]... injustice will be a cause celebre when Biden pushes for the abolition of the federal death penalty.
    I created this thread to point out the political manipulation of the death penalty in the USA.

It seems evident that, beginning in early childhood, a lifetime of extreme abuse drove Lisa Montgomery insane.

Note that her state-assigned lawyer (who holds the record for the most clients on
    federal death row) is known for regarding submitting mitigating evidence as trivial.
    He did not bother to do any serious inquiry into his client's extremely abusive past.
    Why would he care? He still collected the same paychecks from the state.

In the adversarial US justice system, the people executed tend not to be the worst criminals.
    They tend to be the criminals with the worst lawyers.
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 21:07
    @happy-chappy said
    Shame on you Donald trump. Shame shame shame.
    Shame does not belong only to Donald Trump.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/14/trump-executions-last-two-remaining

"Last two federal executions under Trump can proceed, court rules
    Order overturns a stay from lower court to delay executions of condemned
    men to allow them to recover from Covid-19"

"A US appeals court ordered that the last two scheduled federal executions under
    Donald Trump’s outgoing administration could proceed on Thursday and Friday,
    overturning a stay from a lower court delaying them until March to allow the two
    condemned men to recover from Covid-19"
  9. Standard memberyo its me
    watch the acid...
    dosen't get you!!
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 21:10
    @kevcvs57 said
    How can you have a justice system that believes in the literal devil i ...[text shortened]... injustice will be a cause celebre when Biden pushes for the abolition of the federal death penalty.
    Is Biden going to do that? That's great.
    It's not that I don't think it should be examined, it's that we (chess forum) can't hold trumpy to account. I hope that it'll be looked into by a department that can make a change, but there's no point in us getting emotions about it. It's out of our scope of intervention.
    It'd be the same for any murder we read about. It's done now.
    Obviously it was wrong. Capital punishment is wrong, vote to stop it. Maybe chess forum contributers did in a vote for Biden.
    But what's the point of sharing that tragic story on here?
  10. Joined
    27 Jul '10
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 21:13
    @kevcvs57 said
    Yall go into a lot of pros and cons, but if this little lady knew right from wtong. a recognized legal tenet, she was properly dealt with, abusive childhood not with standing. A WHOLE lot. of people have had abusive childhood and still make their way without murdering someone. My two cents
  11. Standard memberyo its me
    watch the acid...
    dosen't get you!!
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 21:14
    @duchess64 said
    "I know things I didn't want to know, about someone I don't need to care about/"
    --Yo-its-me

Everyone else could say the same about yo-its-me. Why should anyone care about yo-its-me?
    Jesus said something different.

What would Jesus have done? I feel certain that Jesus would have opposed her execution,
    even though most American evangelical Christians may thirst for her blood.
    Was she your neighbour Dutchess?
    Do you feel you have to care about everyone?
    Jesus hasn't asked you to care about everyone, that impossible; you're human. It'd be unhealthy to try
    Love thy neighbor.
    Neighbor, person next to you. Person you're with right now.
    Not a person you'll never meet because she's dead before you learned her name.
  12. SubscriberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 21:46
    @yo-its-me said

Obviously it was wrong. Capital punishment is wrong,
    Execution of serial murderers, pedophiles, rapists and other sick vile perpetrators is the right thing to do. Its in the bible. God has given governments the authority to make this determination. Obviously every country will think differently about this matter
  13. SubscriberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 21:59
    @averagejoe1 said
    Yall go into a lot of pros and cons, but if this little lady knew right from wtong. a recognized legal tenet, she was properly dealt with, abusive childhood not with standing. A WHOLE lot. of people have had abusive childhood and still make their way without murdering someone. My two cents
    Correct, that abusive childhood excuse is just pschoanlysists trying to make themselves relevant when all they do is encourage the sick murdering bastards to carry on killing. There are families with 6 kids, all of which were brought up the same way and all turned out different.
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 22:17
    @yo-its-me said
    Is Biden going to do that? That's great.
    It's not that I don't think it should be examined, it's that we (chess forum) can't hold trumpy to account. I hope that it'll be looked into by a department that can make a change, but there's no point in us getting emotions about it. It's out of our scope of intervention.
    It'd be the same for any murder we read about. It's done no ...[text shortened]... m contributers did in a vote for Biden.
    But what's the point of sharing that tragic story on here?
    Is yo-it's-me whining that he was compelled to read this thread?

But he apparently wants to censor it so that no one else can read it.
  15. Zugzwang
    Moves
    14 Jan '21 22:211 edit
    @averagejoe1 said
    Lisa Montgomery's abusive childhood was worse than almost everyone else's.
    Less bloodthirsty societies 'deal with' murder by life sentences (or less) in prison.

Does Lisa Montgonery deserve less mercy than Anders Breivik, a racist mass
    murderer who seems admired by some right-wing writers here?