Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 27 Dec '16 21:10
    On 25 December 2016, a Russian airliner crashed into the Black Sea, killing
    all 92 persons aboard, including 64 members of the Alexandrov Ensemble
    (Red Army Choir), the official choir of the Russian armed forces.

Since the era of the USSR, the Red Army Choir has been regarded as one
    of Russia's cultural treasures (and Russia has a strong tradition of choral singing).
    This tragedy has touched the hearts of many people throughout Russia.
    (I expect that it would mean much less to the Westerners here than the
    death of any individual Western pop or rock star.)

I have performed some of the Alexandrov Ensemble's repertoire before Russian audiences.
    Yesterday I played a DVD of one of its performances, and I wondered
    who among the performers that I watched had avoided the accident.

I expect that the Alexandrov Ensemble will be rebuilt, but it will need time.
    As far as I can tell, the overwhelming majority of its most accomplished
    performers were killed. There may be a few survivors who, for whatever
    reason (such as illness), were not scheduled to give the concert in Syria.
    I expect that auditions will be held for promising young performers.

May the earth be soft for them all.
  2. 27 Dec '16 22:05
    Originally posted by Duchess64

of Russia's cultural treasures (and Russia has a strong tradition of ...[text shortened]... at auditions will be held for promising young performers.

Why is this in the debates forum?

All lives are of equal merit. There will be less outpouring of grief more because of lack of knowledge about this choir among the general populace than western celebrities, who seem to penetrate every facet or our lives these days, not because people valued their lives less. It's impossible to grieve for someone who you don't know exists, and no other reason.

As a singer, choir member, clarinettist and lover of music, particularly classical, it saddens me to lose such talent.
  3. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    27 Dec '16 23:24 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Ashiitaka
    D64 wanted to let us know we're a bunch of parochial self absorbed dum dums. Makes her feel more adequate.
  4. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    28 Dec '16 00:05

of Russia's cultural treasures (and Russia has a strong tradition of ...[text shortened]... at auditions will be held for promising young performers.

Princess Leia died.
  5. 28 Dec '16 00:25 / 3 edits

All lives are of equal merit. There will be less outpouring of grief more because of lack of knowledge about this choir among the general populace than western celebrities, who seem to penetrate every facet or our lives these days, not because people valued their lives less. It's impossible to grieve for someone who yo ...[text shortened]... ber, clarinettist and lover of music, particularly classical, it saddens me to lose such talent.
    The Alexandrov Ensemble has performed in many societies, including in the West.
    It was not any more obscure to Westerners than, say, the Bolshoi Ballet.
    I know that Alexandrov Ensemble had some Western admirers.

I would add that members of the Alexandrov Ensemble and China's PLA artistic troupes
    have performed together. For instance, they sang a Russian folk song in both the
    original Russian and translated Chinese lyrics, delighting the Russian audience.
    Chinese television has shown Chinese singing a Russian song (well known to Chinese
    audiences) with subtitles for both the original Russian and the translated Chinese lyrics.
    Russians tend to be very admiring and appreciative of Chinese efforts to embrace and
    adapt Russian culture.

While I have no reason to doubt that Ash was saddened by this accident, I suspect
    that few Westerners would care. But Russians really don't expect Westerners to know
    or care about their experiences, their sufferings, their history and culture.

"All lives are of equal merit."
    --Ash

In this forum dominated by ethnocentric Westerners, it's long been clear that most
    Westerners regard the lives of other Westerners (meaning white people for all practical
    purposes) as much more important than all other lives.

I would submit that hardly any Westerner here sincerely believes that the lives of
    Israeli Jews and Palestinian Arabs, for instance, are 'of equal merit'.

"...not because people valued their lives less."
    --Ash

Spoken like a privileged white person. In reality, the Western media has long placed
    less importance upon the lives of eastern Europeans than western Europeans.
    Of course, the Western media places still less importance upon the lives of many
    non-white peoples than eastern Europeans.
  6. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    28 Dec '16 02:54
    Told ya so.
  7. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    28 Dec '16 09:43
    The Alexandrov Ensemble has performed in many societies, including in the West.
    It was not any more obscure to Westerners than, say, the Bolshoi Ballet.
    I know that Alexandrov Ensemble had some Western admirers.

I would add that members of the Alexandrov Ensemble and China's PLA artistic troupes
    have performed together. For instance, they sang a Ru ...[text shortened]... a places still less importance upon the lives of many
    non-white peoples than eastern Europeans.
    Keep a stiff upper lip, Douche$$: I heard there may have been some white males aboard that plane, so all is not lost.

I once played a DVD of white males mansplaining before a canine audience and received a howling response.
    Just to ensure an acceptable level of egalitarian access, I played the same DVD (although not in Blu-Ray as I didn't think they would/could appreciate the subtle nuances present in the upgraded format) to an audience consisting solely of felines... disinterested, aloof and borderline cavalier felines.
    Just goes to show: you can lead a cat to culture, but you can't take the dog out of the fight.
  8. 28 Dec '16 12:07 / 1 edit
    For years I have loved this historic (Soviet-era) recording of the Red Army Choir. I post it here in tribute to the victims of the crash. They are dead, but their music lives on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNb54rwDQJM
  9. 28 Dec '16 13:53
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    For years I have loved this historic (Soviet-era) recording of the Red Army Choir. I post it here in tribute to the victims of the crash. They are dead, but their music lives on.

Can you speak a little bit of japanese?
  10. 28 Dec '16 14:06
    Can you speak a little bit of japanese?
    Yes - I lived in Japan for two and a half years and teach about Japanese art and culture.
  11. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    28 Dec '16 15:28

Here are some who are were not sad at all. Those who you and other liberals support.

US CULTURAL ELITES LAUGH OVER RUSSIAN PLANE CRASH

http://nightwind777.blogspot.com/2016/12/us-cultural-elites-laugh-over-russian.html
  12. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    28 Dec '16 15:31
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Here are some who are were not sad at all. Those who you and other liberals support.

US CULTURAL ELITES LAUGH OVER RUSSIAN PLANE CRASH

http://nightwind777.blogspot.com/2016/12/us-cultural-elites-laugh-over-russian.html
    I see happiness and good cheer are reigning supreme this holiday season.
  13. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    28 Dec '16 15:33
    Originally posted by mchill
    I see happiness and good cheer are reigning supreme this holiday season.
    The truth sometimes hurts. But it also brings reality and awakens the mind to self introspection.
  14. 28 Dec '16 16:09 / 1 edit
    Yes - I lived in Japan for two and a half years and teach about Japanese art and culture.
    良いです!日本のカルチャーはすごいですよね! 日本ではどこに住んでいましたか?

あなたはアメリカ人ですか?

Apologies if there are mistakes. I'm just a student.
  15. 28 Dec '16 20:02

Teinosuke, you are a refreshing contrast to the many racist Westerners who dominate this forum.
    Most Westerners here don't seem to appreciate music beyond American or British pop or rock.

I have an ethnic Russian friend from Moldova, which is one of Europe's poorest
    countries and a major source of the trafficking of women into the sex industry.
    (Girls often are recruited from orphanages when they age out of the system.)
    Desperate to leave Moldova, young women typically don't know (misled by false promises)
    what they will be required to do in the West. Fortunately, my friend was able to break
    free of that system and obtain an education. She (understandably) prefers not to discuss
    her past and hopes to find someone who will love her for who she is, not judge her for what she was.

When a woman's traveling in some societies and male strangers address her as "Natasha', she should be wary